Is Port Forwarding Necessary?

Skorpinok Rover

Hello,

In Backtrack 5, if i want to do pentest on external ip address , should i do port forward on my router? iam using a shared internet connection over LAN. let me know if you got any suggestions.

Regards.

Oh yes, definitely required, if you don't do that, any incoming packets for that specific port will be dropped by the firewall and the connection will never reach the attacker's machine.

Another thing you could look into as well, besides port forwarding is DMZ.

thank you, but DMZ...? whats it ?

Oh yes, definitely required, if you don't do that, any incoming packets for that specific port will be dropped by the firewall and the connection will never reach the attacker's machine.

Another thing you could look into as well, besides port forwarding is DMZ.

• 3 weeks later...

I've never had to forward any ports to port scan an external IP, you shouldn't need to either. Remember, these are outgoing packets, not incoming. You should only need to forward if your gateway/firewall is configured to only allow outgoing packets on certain ports.

In Backtrack 5, if i want to do pentest on external ip address , should i do port forward on my router?

It all depends on the pentesting activities. Port scanning, as already said, shouldn't require ports to be forwarded on the local NAT. Reverse connecting shell code will require you to forward the ports it wants to connect to.

The easy way to think of it is that if the connection is initiated from your machine then the NAT will handle the connection. If it is initiated from the target machine then you will need to forward any required ports or NAT won't know where to pass the connection onto.