Bad Mobo Capacitor Causing Reported And/or Actual Reduced Processor Clock Speed?

NegativeSpace

I've got this older machine that has been much slower than normal in the past 6 or so months. I opened it up and found that 2 or 3 capacitors are bulged and slightly leaking liquid. Is there any evidence or reason to believe that this can definitely cause a processors clock speed to be lower than its intended speed, and also to be reported as such in Windows? The processor is factory rated at 2.0GHz, and sometimes it is reported correctly in Windows but sometimes it is reported to have a clock speed of 1.8GHz.

Edited by NegativeSpace

If any components are bulging and leaking, then start migrating parts to a new mobo. Seriously, not worth the risk if they pop and cause more damage. If its only on the power supply, then easy fix, replace the power supply, but if its on the mobo itself, migrate to new hardware.

If any components are bulging and leaking, then start migrating parts to a new mobo. Seriously, not worth the risk if they pop and cause more damage. If its only on the power supply, then easy fix, replace the power supply, but if its on the mobo itself, migrate to new hardware.

I'm actually not worried about losing the machine. It's getting old and I'm going to either use it as a dedicated firewall or scrap it for parts pretty soon. I'm mostly just curious as to what can cause the processor clock speed to change from one to another and back, over and over. If the box quits, I'll replace the two blown capacitors with two new ones which can be had from Radio Shack for like a dollar. If it works then I'll use it, and if not I'll use its still sueful other parts. I'm pretty amazed that it still runs, and pretty well at that, with two motherboard parts physically coming apart and leaking fluid. Have you come across a machine whose processor's clock changes back and forth?

Edited by NegativeSpace

CPU clock speed can change automatically if it uses power saving techniques or throttling. SOme CPU's show slower clock speed when idle, but for the most part, I would think its voltage issues if it isn't built in CPU throttling or power saving settings built into the CPU. Laptops for instance, can show lower clock speeds(mine does) when nothing is going on in the system.