What Is This?

G-Stress

I recently connected to an open wireless access point, but didn't have much time to do any gathering of the network. However when trying to surf I was immediately prompted with what seemed to be a portal page with an image of a laptop that said "Unidentified Computer" I'm sure there was a bit more text, but I forgot to take a screenshot.

I do remember it redirected me to http://192.168.1.1/up I believe. I'm just curious what this was, was it some sort of portal software or a specific router? It looked something interested in playing with @ home.

I think I closed it out. Using Chrome saved tabs of course the next time I re-opened it, it obviously didn't show the same splash page, because I wasn't on the same network. It looked pretty interesting. I searched google images trying to see if I could find a screenshot of the same thing, but haven't been too successful. I thought it was strange though that it re-directed me to 192.168.1.1/up I mean it could have even been some sort of linux kernal firmware on a router with a custom portal page, but if I remember it did have a vendor logo/name on the page, I just can't remember what it was. :(

Generally if you are connected to an airport hotspot, they will redirect you to a web portal where you have to sign in before you can surf the web.

Easiest way to find out, is go back to that network and poke around.

Sounds pretty simple to me. The just have access control setup on the router, likley by mac address. Your mac wasn't on the list so it redirected you to a simple webpage on the router that states your computer is "unknown". The router already hosts webpages to allow the web config so it wouldn't be a big step for the manufacturer to add that functionality.

*sent from my cell*

More than likely, its a web portal, not just the router itself, unless they have something custom. Things like sonicwall for internet cafe's, hotels, etc, setup portal to only allow either paying subscribers, or internal white listed machines.

Yea I believe it was a software portal or something custom. Curious though, is there a "portal" distro or app available that can manage a wifi ap and create a user database on the fly? A coffe shop or cafe for example. User's connect, create their own account and the portal will query to see if that username exists, etc?

Something I've been looking for, for awhile, but haven't found a friendly solution yet.

Yea I believe it was a software portal or something custom. Curious though, is there a "portal" distro or app available that can manage a wifi ap and create a user database on the fly? A coffe shop or cafe for example. User's connect, create their own account and the portal will query to see if that username exists, etc?

Something I've been looking for, for awhile, but haven't found a friendly solution yet.

You can have your own web portal with a customized firmware like DD-WRT or a Linux firewall distro like Untangle or Pfsense.

I recall there was an open source cafe portal thingy, that also aloud you to let people pay/register for access, and was free, but I don't remember the name for it. Google for something though, should turn up results. Places to look that might have it, github and sourceforge.

http://www.google.com/#sclient=psy-ab&hl=en&q=wifi%20captive%20portal%20open%20source&oq=open%20source%20wifi%20portal&aq=1b&aqi=g1g-b1&aql=1&gs_l=hp.11.1.0j0i8.1419l6437l0l8294l23l21l0l2l2l2l144l1807l16j5l23l0.cfis.1.&pbx=1&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.,cf.osb&fp=f6c4cf2e3c6d49ba&biw=1436&bih=744&pf=p&pdl=300

Edited by digip