Looking For A New Wireless Nic

bobtheman

hello,

I have the awus036h, it only supports b/g though ..

im interested in getting a new nic that supports b/g/ and n and is compatible with aircrack for packet injection... though it seems im hard pressed.

any suggestions?

This one is great 2000mw runs out the box with bt5 perfectly...

http://www.amazon.com/High-Gain-Long-Rang-Alfa-9dBi-Mount/dp/B0038Q4AIG

I have never had a problem with it..

Edited by mreidiv

This one is great 2000mw runs out the box with bt5 perfectly...

http://www.amazon.com/High-Gain-Long-Rang-Alfa-9dBi-Mount/dp/B0038Q4AIG

I have never had a problem with it..

Interesting, can you do packet injecting and traffic monitoring without changing drivers? Also how well does it perform compared to the Alfa AWUS036H?

I am just asking, because I have read reports and comments from other users in other forums, about their frustrations they experienced with this card.

That's one of the reasons, why I bought an Alfa AWUS036H instead. I know it doesn't support N wireless but it works straight out the box with BT5.

Edited by Infiltrator

I too see on the aircrack forums that this card is not highly recommend

That's right, in most cases the card can only go in monitor mode, nothing else.

I wish someone or Alfa networks could write a proper driver to solve all these problems.

Edited by Infiltrator

I would get a tl-links 722N or a tl-links TL-WN821Nv3 ( i do not have the 821Nv3 but documentation seems to say get the v3 one ). They are atheros chipsets that use the atk9k_htc driver. Everything works on them well after you patch compat wireless for the negitive one channel error. Also as another benefit, if you are running the 3.0 kernel or newer you can also put the card into AP mode and run digininjas karma patched hostapd.

I have never had a problem with this card but I just upgraded to bt5r2 I will double check but if you reasearch it on bt forums the people that are having the problems are using bt in vm or virtualbox. I will test it with bt5r2 and repost. Also I would like to get a good atheros based card also.

I have never had a problem with this card but I just upgraded to bt5r2 I will double check but if you research it on bt forums the people that are having the problems are using bt in vm or virtual-box. I will test it with bt5r2 and repost. Also I would like to get a good atheros based card also.

OK so i tested it on bt5 r1 64bit KDE hard drive install and bt r2 KDE 32 bit hard drive install

injection working perfectly with bt5 native drivers

Monitoring works perfectly with native drivers

I am not sure why other people are having problems but i have not changed any settings in the os at all so maybe they have or maybe they are using a vm ?.....

some people have it working fine others don't.

So take it for what it is worth....

Edited by mreidiv

OK so i tested it on bt5 r1 64bit KDE hard drive install and bt r2 KDE 32 bit hard drive install

injection working perfectly with bt5 native drivers

Monitoring works perfectly with native drivers

I am not sure why other people are having problems but i have not changed any settings in the os at all so maybe they have or maybe they are using a vm ?.....

some people have it working fine others don't.

So take it for what it is worth....

I must say that, if that's the case the Backtrack team must have done a hell of a job, to address this compatibility/driver issue users were experiencing.

I am only using the Alfa AWUS036H, will buy the other Alfa card and give it shot. Anyway, thanks for all the support and help.