Grub Rescue>

thespiritbomber

So I've got BT5R1, Ubuntu, and Windows 7 installed on my Acer Aspire One. I tried to boot from a live USB and now all I get is "grub rescue>" when booting. I can't even boot from a live USB stick now. I've searched for hours on how to fix this and can't find anything that works. Most people say to boot from a live CD or USB but since I'm using a netbook I can't boot from a live CD unless I go buy an external drive and I just can't get the live USB to work. I always come back with "grub rescue>".

I'm completely 100% with just wiping everything and only having BT5 installed, which was my plan anyways. I just need a way to boot from the live USB or another way to just start over. Any ideas?

Edited by tylerscoldrevenge

Ensuring the USB boot option is enabled on the BIOS is the first step, your second step would be making the USB partition active, if your USB does not have an active partition it may not work.

You can use the Windows DiskPart utility to make your USB partition active.

Edited by Infiltrator

Did you check your BIOS settings to enable USB boot?

Yes, that's all taken care of. I've put the USB first in the boot list and even tried selecting it as the boot device manually with the f12 menu.

Ensuring the USB boot option is enabled on the BIOS is the first step, your second step would be making the USB partition active, if your USB does not have an active partition it may not work.

You can use the Windows DiskPart utility to make your USB partition active.

Alright, I'll try that out and see what I get.

By the way, I've got past the "grub rescue>" problem but I still can't boot from a USB device. I always get the error "Missing Operating System." now... Anyways, if I can't get this working tonight I'm going to get an external DVD drive and try to boot from that instead.

Well it turns out the 'grub rescue>' error wasn't keeping me from booting from a live USB. There was something wrong with my usb stick, which I can't get fixed no matter how many times I format it or what method I use. Anyways, I made a new live BT5R2 usb stick and installed it no problem.