Backtrack5 Html5 Video

IrishFavor

Hey there everyone, i just recently made the switch to backtrack from windows. Please excuse my novice questions as i explore this os. so far most things seem strait forward. (ie. installing tar.gz files) however i have come into problems when watching youtube clips as well as videos here hon hak5. I have installed the adobe plugin so i do get few videos, but when the videos are in html5 i just get a screen telling me to install the plugin but i do not see a link. I believe that it uses the .h264 codec, i may be wrong. Any help would be Greatly appreciated.

Try installing the Opera browser in BackTrack instead of using FireFox. Flash worked out of the box for me with no need to do anything for adobe/flash stuff, should already be there. HTML5 video should also work, but know, that html5 video can be containers, like avi and ogg are, so the embedded video itself while html5 compliant, might contain an mp4 video or avi, etc, and might need the core codecs to play them.

Edited by digip

Try installing the Opera browser in BackTrack instead of using FireFox. Flash worked out of the box for me with no need to do anything for adobe/flash stuff, should already be there. HTML5 video should also work, but know, that html5 video can be containers, like avi and ogg are, so the embedded video itself while html5 compliant, might contain an mp4 video or avi, etc, and might need the core codecs to play them.

Opera? who uses that lol :P i will def try that tho, i do prefer to use firefox if there is a way to get it to work i would prefer to use that. also do you know of a good place to get the core codecs? i just got vlc to work properly does that include the proper codecs? it should for local playback but i am not sure on its integration to the web browser.

thanks for the response.

thanks for the info, i ended up going with chrome as i like the interface better than opera. and indeed it does work without having to have any add-ons. now if only i can figure out how to get firesheep, if anyone has any experience plz let me know.

thanks for the info, i ended up going with chrome as i like the interface better than opera. and indeed it does work without having to have any add-ons. now if only i can figure out how to get firesheep, if anyone has any experience plz let me know.

Don't use firesheep, its more or less only a proof of concept and tailored to specific sites. Use Hamster and Ferret. More reliable. Requires a MITM attack before you start them up though, then you load hamster and ferret and you capture all the session cookies of your target.

I would recommend Hamster/Ferret too. Watch the video below for more details.