Router Hell

sanitizer

Hi & thanks to any/all that reply to this.

My home router (rental provided by ISP) has become an evil headache the past 3 weeks now.

When the qos dropped by more than half I thought it was time to poke around a bit & see what is up.

I am a little confused by that when I look at available wireless networks in the area & along with my router with it's name, MAC, signal, security , channel,

I see 1 router with no name, MAC, signal, security & channel.

The MAC is almost identical looking like this~ (not the real MAC,just an example)

My Router 36:60:77:07:A3:82

Router without SSID 3c:60:77:07:A3:83

Just the first & last hex digits are different & very close to each other. I don't think that a neighbor would end up with a router

MAC so close to mine by chance.

The signal strength of the 2 routers are close together but rarely identical.

Both are on the same channel & when I change channels the second router seems to flip soon after. Anywhere from 2 min up to 45 mins.

When I disable wifi & cable directly to the router the qos is still bad. I'll check the wireless networks in the area with another computer and sometimes the no name is there and other times it's not.

Isp says service is fine, even though it certainly is not.

Any ideas ?

thanks

S

My home router (rental provided by ISP) has become an evil headache the past 3 weeks now.

When the qos dropped by more than half I thought it was time to poke around a bit & see what is up.

I am a little confused by that when I look at available wireless networks in the area & along with my router with it's name, MAC, signal, security , channel,

The MAC is almost identical looking like this~ (not the real MAC,just an example)

Just the first & last hex digits are different & very close to each other. I don't think that a neighbor would end up with a router

Both are on the same channel & when I change channels the second router seems to flip soon after. Anywhere from 2 min up to 45 mins.

When I disable wifi & cable directly to the router the qos is still bad. I'll check the wireless networks in the area with another computer and sometimes the no name is there and other times it's not.

Any ideas ?

thanks

S

Just out of curiosity, who's your ISP?

If speeds seem slow, even when directly wired, then it might be too much traffic in your neighborhood and the pool your IP sits in. Do some speed tests before and after changing your IP from the ISP, see if that helps with speeds. Sometimes mine gets slow, and I force a new lease from the ISP and things get better for a while.

To do this, you have to change the MAC address on the routers MAC Address Clone screen(if it offers one), then power off and back on the cable modem.(if its an all in one device, then ignore this setp and just pwer it off for about 30 minutes). When the modem sees a new MAC address from the router, it should force a new lease from the ISP and change your external IP address. (You can use ipchicken.com to verify your IP address has changed. )

If it doesn't have that feature on the router to manually change its MAC address, you would have to turn off the modem for roughly 30 minutes or more depending on your ISP's lease time, then power it back up and hopefully it will get a new IP lease from DHCP, although some ISP's keep the lease for 24 hours, which is why its easier to force a MAC address change on the router, then reboot the modem to grab a new IP.

Speed test sites you can try before and after the IP change:

http://www.speakeasy.net/speedtest/

http://www.speedtest.net/

Any ideas ?

thanks

S

When you see incrementing BSSIDs/MACs like that, it is likely the software implementation of the SSIDs. Each BSSID will have a different MAC, and each is associated with a different SSID.

• 2 weeks later...

When I had problems with cc at the wine bar. I would do a trace rt to see where it drops. If it is in your isp's network then you will have to wait it out. Isp routers suck I walked off a pc tech job for one them. They use what they can get cheap and dispose of. What ever they can get a deal for. If you have bus class static things seem to be better. Possibly unplugging both cable modem and router will help. The traffic thing is an issue with cable it seems. This is why they do not want people to run servers and stuff like that on the residential network. Things will get better when wide band is available. The last thing I do is check cables Ethernet cables. When I was a tech people had High speed Internet on boats in marinas. When there was a problem I swapped an Ethernet cable and fixed it. MD

Forgot cscash241 hit a nail on the head. Isp routers suck they do stupid things phone numbers is the key. Gives Isp's too much control. Use commands I cannot remember to check routing table on the pc and clear it if need be. Could even be a bad nic. Try another computer.