External/poratable Power For Pineapple

I recently purchased a new trent imp70d 7000mah battery pack. When I plug it into the pineapple I get power and boot just fine. I am able to log in to the web ui etc. For 10 or so minutes. Then it shuts its self off. This does not happen when plugged into the wall so I know its the battery pack. So I would have to say that most all the New Trent packs have the feature to turn itself off when the product is full, and that makes them all NOT fully functional with the pineapple (mk IV specifically). So I ask out what battery packs work FULLY with the pineapple? Thanks ahead of time for your assistance!!

Edit: its only 4:50am here just saw my wonderful spelling of the word "portable". I graciously accept the smell of that which I have stepped in. :)

Edited by blu3nowh3r3

I recently purchased a new trent imp70d 7000mah battery pack. When I plug it into the pineapple I get power and boot just fine. I am able to log in to the web ui etc. For 10 or so minutes. Then it shuts its self off. This does not happen when plugged into the wall so I know its the battery pack. So I would have to say that most all the New Trent packs have the feature to turn itself off when the product is full, and that makes them all NOT fully functional with the pineapple (mk IV specifically). So I ask out what battery packs work FULLY with the pineapple? Thanks ahead of time for your assistance!!

Edit: its only 4:50am here just saw my wonderful spelling of the word "portable". I graciously accept the smell of that which I have stepped in. :)

So you're charging and powering the pineapple at the same time??

No I am not charging and powering at the same time. When the pineapple is plugged into the wall it works perfectly. when the pineapple is plugged into the NewTrent 7000 it only stays on for 10 minutes before shutting off. I am assuming it is turning off because the battery pack thinks the pineapple is ?FULL?lol so I was curious if anyone new about battery packs that had on off switches. but Im starting to lean towards the DIY soldering rechargeables as we have been seeing in the urban/tactical pinebomb mods.

!Update!

I suppose that the pineapple was not pulling enough juice to warrant the battery pack to stay on. I just tested it with a 3g usb card and it has stayed on for the past 35 min. a new personal record. I will next test a usb storage stick to see if that adds enough pull as well.

YAY

So, after some testing, I noticed it wasn't working on my Mk3 either. I opened up my taping job and found the the soldered wired had melted through the electrical tape.

IMAG1168.jpg

The white spot in the middle of the tape is where this had happened. Once I separated the 2 wires, it ran fine...

My Mk3 ran last night until until the battery ran out. My Mk4 has been running fine for around 45 min now...

(Yes, I suck at soldering :) )

So, after some testing, I noticed it wasn't working on my Mk3 either. I opened up my taping job and found the the soldered wired had melted through the electrical tape.

The white spot in the middle of the tape is where this had happened. Once I separated the 2 wires, it ran fine...

My Mk3 ran last night until until the battery ran out. My Mk4 has been running fine for around 45 min now...

(Yes, I suck at soldering :) )

Say it with me, "Heat shrink is better than tape!" Shrink both wires individually, then one bigger piece over both.

Say it with me, "Heat shrink is better than tape!" Shrink both wires individually, then one bigger piece over both.

+1

I'm a heatshrink fanatic. Everytime I'm in a city with a Frys I buy there kits (they are 1/2 the price of any other store for same thing)

Also stagger your splices, it gives less chance of a short and makes less of a bulge.

ok so I have just returned home. My markIV unit was powered with the New Trent 7000 ALL DAY. I plugged in a usb memory stick and that added enough draw to keep the battery pack on. ALL DAY thats a long freaking time. I am satisfied. :)

I'm currently evaluating power options for my mk4 myself. Being an R/C geek I'm very familiar with the 3-cell (11.1v) LiPo/LiFe packs. The true voltage should be near the 12v mark, so I'm wondering, has anyone else used say a 3 cell, 2100 mAh pack to power the pineapple? Any words of wisdom on the subject?

I'm currently evaluating power options for my mk4 myself. Being an R/C geek I'm very familiar with the 3-cell (11.1v) LiPo/LiFe packs. The true voltage should be near the 12v mark, so I'm wondering, has anyone else used say a 3 cell, 2100 mAh pack to power the pineapple? Any words of wisdom on the subject?

Haven't used them, but don't see why it wouldn't work. voltage is there and the current is on par.

I've ordered the Mk4 a week ago. Since I live in the Netherlands, I have to way 30 business days until I can finally use it. Meanwhile I was looking for a battery pack. On the Hackshop website I noticed the image of a mk4 hooked up to an New Trend iCruiser IMP1000 11000mAh. So I decided to order it. The IMP1000 came in yesterday and I noticed on the specs sheet that it outputs only 5v 1 amp. In the specs sheet of the mk4 I noticed that it will draw 1,7A for Wifi and 3.5-5.5A with a 3G modem using 5V. Seems I bought the IMP11000 to quick! My question is, did anyone try this combo (with or without a 3g modem / Alfa usb). If so, how long did it last. I'm trying to get all the stuff needed for the mk4 before it arrives.

Regards,

Wouter

Image from HakShop:

mk4_large.jpg?100530

Mark IV shown with rechargeable battery pack, dual Ethernet and 3G modem

Edited by wouter301

Little on the heavy side though.

It's not really heavy. I am using a werker 6V 1.3Ah battery. It's only about 9 ozs and smaller than the router.

I have been testing it for the lat 4 hours and it hasn't put much of a dent in the charge. Best of all it's very inexpensive and rechargeable. For the price of one Trent 11000 I can buy 10 of these and a charger. Perfect if your worried about the urban assault mod being taken.

Depending on how long this one lasts I will go for the smaller one and report on it's run time as well.

The model I am currently testing is wka6-1.3f

UPDATE: I started powering an ALFA at 4:00PM and the Wireless radio shut off sometime between 1:30-3:30AM. It looks like the battery lasted about 9 or so hours. (that is without moving my clocks ahead, so it it 9 hours elapsed time).

After I recharge I am going to put it on my pineapple while it is running in it's normal forwarding environment and see how long it can maintain on battery power. Still not too bad for $8-$10 and smaller then the router itself.

I'll pick up some other capacities tomorrow(today) and see how they do.

Regards,

Cat

Edited by caturix

It's not really heavy. I am using a werker 6V 1.3Ah battery. It's only about 9 ozs and smaller than the router.

I have been testing it for the lat 4 hours and it hasn't put much of a dent in the charge. Best of all it's very inexpensive and rechargeable. For the price of one Trent 11000 I can buy 10 of these and a charger. Perfect if your worried about the urban assault mod being taken.

Depending on how long this one lasts I will go for the smaller one and report on it's run time as well.

Regards,

Cat

Heh, when you said UPS battery, I was thinking one of these!

Hey people,

Just a question; i am looking for a battery pack, and found one in my room. Its 12V with 7.5 Ah. Is this enough/too much for the pineapple?

Thanks in advance!

Edit: or does it need to output 2A?

Edited by vlek007

Hey people,

Just a question; i am looking for a battery pack, and found one in my room. Its 12V with 7.5 Ah. Is this enough/too much for the pineapple?

Thanks in advance!

Edit: or does it need to output 2A?

make sure it is not outputting more than 12 volts, use a multimeter.

the ac wall adapter is 12 volts.

having more amperage is not a problem because the pineapple will take only what it needs.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi guys, i'm considering to buy new Trent 11000mAh External Batteryfor my juicy needs with the pineapple MK IV..What do you think about that? I've read about trent imp70d 7000mah but didn't understand if it's a Trent problem or a faulty one..What do you reccomend, some kind of external battery like the Trent or a DIY solution?