Mk4 Firmware Discussion

Sebkinne

reverse ssh sounds good but also having services like DynDns Ect that home routers sometimes make use of would be cool.

then through the pineapple UI set it up and from that point on use "ssh root@SomeNameYouPicked.dyndns.org"?

Remember we are only working with reverse SSH tunnels.

This is because they may not be allowed to listen on ports like SSH (providers blocking etc).

Implementing a dyndns script sounds fun but I don't think it is a feature that will come anytime soon.

If people really want it I can add support for the main dyndns provider.

Best,

Sebkinne

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I found a solution, but it can increase boot time quite a bit (anywhere between 0 and 15 seconds in my setup, but you can change that). Unfortunately random isn't available, so this was the only solution I could come up with.

Create a new script, I called mine changemac.sh

!#/bin/bash

read RAND
RAND=$(($RAND % 15))
ifconfig wlan0 down
sleep $RAND
macchanger -r wlan0
ifconfig wlan0 up

The % 15 is your max, so you can change that to whatever you want (ie % 10 for 0-10)

chmod +x changemac.sh

I put mine in /root (home directory).

Then in your boot script make it this:

wifi 
hostapd_cli -p /var/run/hostapd-phy0 karma_enable #Don't touch this
dd if=/dev/urandom bs=1 count=1 | hexdump -e '5/1 "%1d"' | /root/changemac.sh
exit 0

That's it, it'll use /dev/urandom to get some random bits, change it into a number between 0-255, then drop that down to 0-15 and sleep for that long.

It's not clean, but it works... if anyone can clean it up or find a better way let me know.

cool thanks for sharing.

when I placed macchanger -m 01:23:45:67:89:ab in the same spot it seemed to work but karma was messed up.

can you confirm that karma works after your setup?

thank you so much:-)

cool thanks for sharing.

when I placed macchanger -m 01:23:45:67:89:ab in the same spot it seemed to work but karma was messed up.

can you confirm that karma works after your setup?

thank you so much:-)

You are right, somehow I missed that but I found the fix (I'll edit my original post to reflect).

edit /etc/config/wireless

comment out (or remove the line that says "option macaddr"

Add a line that says "option phy phy0"

Then after you do "ifconfig wlan0 up" add a line that says "wifi"

The problem was, it was looking for a radio device with a specific mac, so we'll change that to look for a specific phy device. Since we only have one it's not a problem.

The command wifi basically reruns the config so it will grab the new mac address and be back up and running.

You are right, somehow I missed that but I found the fix (I'll edit my original post to reflect).

comment out (or remove the line that says "option macaddr"

Then after you do "ifconfig wlan0 up" add a line that says "wifi"

The problem was, it was looking for a radio device with a specific mac, so we'll change that to look for a specific phy device. Since we only have one it's not a problem.

The command wifi basically reruns the config so it will grab the new mac address and be back up and running.

glad to here it is working:-)

however I am on 3.2 kernel not 2.6.39 and that might explain why I can't get it to work,

tried so many things already, I will have to give it another shot when the next update comes out

Thank you

Edited by petertfm

however I am on 3.2 kernel not 2.6.39 and that might explain why I can't get it to work,

tried so many things already, I will have to give it another shot when the next update comes out

Thank you

Even with the change to /etc/config/wireless and running wifi after bringing wlan0 back up it still doesn't work?

Thank you

You can always flash back to the stable 1.0.2.

Best,

Sebkinne

Even with the change to /etc/config/wireless and running wifi after bringing wlan0 back up it still doesn't work?

that's exactly what i did, I did not add wifi to the startupscript because it was in the changemac.sh script.

when I run ./changemac.sh there is an error about bash but it seems to run because I get the expected output

Seb thanks for letting me know I just thought to keep using the beta, other than not seeing probed clients It is doing what I want and I don't need that at the moment.

I love bleeding edge lol

The current MD5 is: 6818ee57d05860485ce744f65844c727

I will make sure to add it to the post.

Best,

Sebkinne

Downloading from main site fails (403), and when I download from Dropbox, I get the MD5 hash: 505880D2B5BDE80AB62587778EFBA27A

Is the MD5 posted correct or is the file on dropbox different?

/Q

I found a solution, but it can increase boot time quite a bit (anywhere between 0 and 15 seconds in my setup, but you can change that). Unfortunately random isn't available, so this was the only solution I could come up with.

Create a new script, I called mine changemac.sh

!#/bin/bash

read RAND
RAND=$(($RAND % 15))
ifconfig wlan0 down
sleep $RAND
macchanger -r wlan0
ifconfig wlan0 up
wifi

The % 15 is your max, so you can change that to whatever you want (ie % 10 for 0-10)

chmod +x changemac.sh

I put mine in /root (home directory).

comment out (or remove) the line that says "option macaddr"

Then in your boot script make it this:

wifi 
hostapd_cli -p /var/run/hostapd-phy0 karma_enable #Don't touch this
dd if=/dev/urandom bs=1 count=1 | hexdump -e '5/1 "%1d"' | /root/changemac.sh
exit 0

That's it, it'll use /dev/urandom to get some random bits, change it into a number between 0-255, then drop that down to 0-15 and sleep for that long.

It's not clean, but it works... if anyone can clean it up or find a better way let me know.

just flashed back to 1.0.2 and followed your instructions to the T

still no change in the mac address

can any one else confirm?

not sure what I am doing wrong, I am checking the mac by issuing ifconfig and looking at wlan0

Did you try doing just changemac.sh manually to see if the mac change is going through? or try manually running the line from your boot script: dd if=/dev/urandom bs=1 count=1 | hexdump -e '5/1 "%1d"' | /root/changemac.sh

make sure that is in there right and doing as expected (waiting up to 15 seconds, then doing the mac change).

Did you try doing just changemac.sh manually to see if the mac change is going through? or try manually running the line from your boot script: dd if=/dev/urandom bs=1 count=1 | hexdump -e '5/1 "%1d"' | /root/changemac.sh

make sure that is in there right and doing as expected (waiting up to 15 seconds, then doing the mac change).

did it manually still no change.

tried many things even replacing dd if=/dev/urandom bs=1 count=1 | hexdump -e '5/1 "%1d"' | /root/changemac.sh with

ifconfig wlan0 down

macchanger -m 00:01:23:45:67:89 wlan0

ifconfig wlan0 up

wifi

as well as commenting out the wireless file and adding the phy command

I am curious if others have tried? i did this on a fresh flash

did it manually still no change.

tried many things even replacing dd if=/dev/urandom bs=1 count=1 | hexdump -e '5/1 "%1d"' | /root/changemac.sh with

ifconfig wlan0 down

macchanger -m 00:01:23:45:67:89 wlan0

ifconfig wlan0 up

wifi

as well as commenting out the wireless file and adding the phy command

I am curious if others have tried? i did this on a fresh flash

I haven't tried mac changing yet, but theres stuff going on with our interfaces that I suspect is causing a number of our current issues. Stuff I've noticed combing the posts since the mark4 came out (and even some mark3):

Something prevents changing macs

Something prevents changing frequency (channels)

Something prevents reaver from ever working (even taking down wlan0 and mon.wlan0)

What does mon.wlan0 do?

We need a Seb in here ;)

telot

I haven't tried mac changing yet, but theres stuff going on with our interfaces that I suspect is causing a number of our current issues. Stuff I've noticed combing the posts since the mark4 came out (and even some mark3):

Something prevents reaver from ever working (even taking down wlan0 and mon.wlan0)

What does mon.wlan0 do?

We need a Seb in here ;)

telot

agreed I think a lot of it is with hostapd

I looked through and saw some code that does interact with mon.wlan0

Robin could maybe shed some light on that? and maybe that is where the mac issue also needs to be addressed?

Spent the last day reading openWRT docos and trying to get an ath9k-htc chipset USB wifi dongle working (TPLink WN722N). lsusb shows it has picked up the dongle but it never generates the interface as wlan1 so I can't bring it up using ifconfig or see it in iwconfig. The general device is picked up and stored at /dev/1-1 which I noticed the led light script looks for to turn on the LED.

Also tried with a ZD1211 based dongle with the same effect and on Seb's 3.2 kernel build. No luck unfortunately.

If anyone has had any luck getting the OpenWRT os to hotplug a usb wifi dongle then shoot some help my way thanks.

What does mon.wlan0 do?

We need a Seb in here ;)

telot

From what I understand from reading and playing with things, it's the uci that's causing a lot of the problems. /etc/config/wireless tells it how many things should be, and if there is a conflict it either stops working (as has happened when you change MAC) or it reverts back to what it things it should be. Changing that config file and doing a uci commit wireless;wifi will solve most... well I think I forgot to mention that before, when you do the change to /ect/config/wireless you do have to do uci commit wireless before it takes effect (but I'm 95% sure reboot would also work).

*cough*

You called?

I am going to get cracking on that, sorry for not having the time before.

I will report back asap.

Best,

Sebkinne

Mi amor!

telot

Sebkine I know you are a busy person but have a suggestion:-)

If there is ever a separate page for displaying status/log info can you please think about making one like this?

% Active || IP: |||||||||||||||||||||||||||||Client Mac: |||||||||||||||||| Computer name: |||||||| Faked SSID: ||||||||||||||||||| Attack Log:

15%_____172.16.42.101____00:12:34:56:78:9a____peters_laptop_______ FakeWifiNetwork_____ DNS-RE-DIR: www.google.com >> /htmlfiles/rickroll/index.html

Other Attack Log stuff coul be: CRED-CAPTURED www.asitetologinto.com USER "someuser" PASS "lamepass" or

EXPLOIT ATTEMPT Java applet reverse_tcp_port:10000 172.16.42.42

does anyone else think the same or could improve/suggest better?

Edited by petertfm

Just some comments seeing I just received my pineapple in the mail all the way down in Australia.

Dug out a 12V power adapter and dove straight in. Ran into the issues described where clients couldn't get to the internet - the firewall workaround Darren described worked a treat, as did the firmware update to 1.0.2 - that was straight-forward too.

Overall - a very professional looking piece of hardware + beautiful open source software... if the firmware continues to be supported as well as has to date, I shall be a very happy hacker. Cheers peoples!

• 3 weeks later...

hello people

I just got my mark 4 today and started to play with it and saw this issue that i am having. I and setting up the ICS with the ip address if the pineapple. after i close the box. It reset the ip address and the subnet to all zero again. Is this normal or is this a bug.

hello people

I just got my mark 4 today and started to play with it and saw this issue that i am having. I and setting up the ICS with the ip address if the pineapple. after i close the box. It reset the ip address and the subnet to all zero again. Is this normal or is this a bug.

not normal. is the subnet set to 255.255.255.0 and did you put in something for dns? 8.8.8.8

Nitz?

yes to both subnet is correct, and using dns 8.8.8.8, and all on the tcp version 4

hear is the end result after closing the box and reopen the property

I am showing the advance for the history.....when i deleted the 0.0.0.0.0 and the 172.16.42.42 and re enter the information to start fresh, and soon as i close it and reopen it it go back to 0.0.0.0

post-39315-0-64060500-1333263567_thumb.j

Edited by TheLaughingMan