Mk4 Pineapple Plastic Urban Assault Mod

I'm at it again. This time with a plastic enclosure that hides the antenna and looks more discrete.

6954338707_de0092dcd7_z.jpg

Begin by building a 6 pack of 18650's in parallel

6808232710_d0f3e2fdca_z.jpg

Make a second pack and put 'em both in serial

6808236012_2f0d6ba51d_z.jpg

This time we're soldering straight to the board. Inner most lead is positive. The other two are negative so take your pick.

6954347511_5d87cabd2c_z.jpg

Positive line running through a push on push off switch. Also, boobies.

6808241358_2366e090d3_z.jpg

Mounted switch and test fit.

6808243752_8a64a41676_z.jpg

Amazing technology I like to call double sided sticky tape.

6808246174_5346cef964_z.jpg

Storage for ettercap, sslstrip, tcpdump & cat photos. Available at the HakShop </shameless plug>

6954357921_8aee98b4e0_z.jpg

All snug. Notice quick-connect barrel plugs needed to easily take apart cells, hook up to charger.

6808252044_2877bd96a8_z.jpg

Not a bad voltage when they're supposed to only be 7.2.

6808254618_81ef4775f9_z.jpg

Not bad, eh?

Next up are the magnets - coming in the mail tomorrow.

Definitely clean looking on the outside. Function is key and it looks like you've got the battery capacity for a long run time!

My math is saying 15 hours but in practice it's looking more like 30. Going to have to do some real world tests. I built a pack for RSA using two cells which based on my calculations should have lasted 2 hours, ended up running well over 4. Turned it off before it went completely dead so who knows. This guy is rocking 12 cells.

Man, the battery life turnout on these mods are amazing, I'll just throw some connectors on my pineapple with a pelican case.

Darren, you use that magazine a lot :P

And one last thing, I found the battery's on amazon, what are you using to charge these once they are all soldered together?

Edited by soka80

How are you calculating the estimated life time of the batteries?

My math is as follows:

At 5V (USB) the MK4 takes the following Amp draw under various configurations. I took these measurements using an in-line multimeter with a MK4 and a USB battery pack measuring amperage.

WiFi Off - 1A

WiFi On - 1.7A

WiFi and 3G On (GSM) - 3.5 - 4A

WiFi and 3G On (CDMA) - 5+A

Of course these figures are from 5V calculations. The batter packs I'm making offer 7.2V, so the Amp draw should be about 1.44x less. So instead of 1.7A with WiFi it should be 1.18A per hour. So with twelve 3000mAh 3.7V batteries in a 6P2S configuration I should be outputting 7.2V with 18,000mAh, which for a WiFi On situation should last for (18 / 1.18) = 15.25 hours.

That said this doesn't seem to be the case in the real world. When I took a MK4 to an RSA event I was using an 18650 USB battery pack with two cells. I ended up with over 100 clients and the pineapple lasted for well over 4 hours because I eventually turned it off at the end of the night. Based on my calculations it should have only lasted 2 hours - not 4 - so there is some wild wiggle room here.

Obviously further testing is in order, something I plan to do when I return from Austin next week.

I've been evaluating nearly a dozen battery packs for the HakShop and think I've found the two we'll carry as they offer the best quality, value and performance. These raw 18650 cells alone are great - they're what you have in your laptop today and the tesla roadster uses thousands of 'em, but they offer no sort of protection for over-voltage and could easily catch fire if not cared for properly. I recommend 'em as cheap sources of power, but just please be careful. I made a mistake with my first pack of 'em, not leaving venting. If these batteries don't breathe you'll have a problem on your hands. =/

My math is as follows:

At 5V (USB) the MK4 takes the following Amp draw under various configurations. I took these measurements using an in-line multimeter with a MK4 and a USB battery pack measuring amperage.

WiFi Off - 1A

WiFi On - 1.7A

WiFi and 3G On (GSM) - 3.5 - 4A

WiFi and 3G On (CDMA) - 5+A

Of course these figures are from 5V calculations. The batter packs I'm making offer 7.2V, so the Amp draw should be about 1.44x less. So instead of 1.7A with WiFi it should be 1.18A per hour. So with twelve 3000mAh 3.7V batteries in a 6P2S configuration I should be outputting 7.2V with 18,000mAh, which for a WiFi On situation should last for (18 / 1.18) = 15.25 hours.

That said this doesn't seem to be the case in the real world. When I took a MK4 to an RSA event I was using an 18650 USB battery pack with two cells. I ended up with over 100 clients and the pineapple lasted for well over 4 hours because I eventually turned it off at the end of the night. Based on my calculations it should have only lasted 2 hours - not 4 - so there is some wild wiggle room here.

Obviously further testing is in order, something I plan to do when I return from Austin next week.

I've been evaluating nearly a dozen battery packs for the HakShop and think I've found the two we'll carry as they offer the best quality, value and performance. These raw 18650 cells alone are great - they're what you have in your laptop today and the tesla roadster uses thousands of 'em, but they offer no sort of protection for over-voltage and could easily catch fire if not cared for properly. I recommend 'em as cheap sources of power, but just please be careful. I made a mistake with my first pack of 'em, not leaving venting. If these batteries don't breathe you'll have a problem on your hands. =/

Haha I work with 6 and 12v marine batteries on a daily basis - we had a customer seal up one of our battery boxes "as a favor to us" without first consulting. He was trying to keep dust out or some such crap. The thing blew up after a week. Batteries with nowhere to breath = lotsa gas = big pop. All those warnings on batteries are dead f-ing serious, especially with 'wet' batteries. I've got a routing cellular modem + pineapple hooked up now to 400ah (not mah) worth of 12v marine batteries hooked in parallel - with 110watts of solar. 24hour 365 runtime is expected :)

telot

Another funny battery story - I was at work moving around some of our wet-cell batteries, testing some sensors or something. I went out to lunch with a couple of girls to subway where one of them dumped her cup of water. It covered the table and dripped down onto all our laps. Funny funny, insert "we all peed ourselves" jokes, blah blah. Well little did I know that I had inadvertently gotten a rather massive amount of battery acid on my pants when moving them, so when introduced to a nice base such as water - they removed the fabric from my pants. All I had left, when we stood up to leave, was from the knee down and the belt portion of my pants. Hilarity ensued.

telot

Edited by telot

Another funny battery story - I was at work moving around some of our wet-cell batteries, testing some sensors or something. I went out to lunch with a couple of girls to subway where one of them dumped her cup of water. It covered the table and dripped down onto all our laps. Funny funny, insert "we all peed ourselves" jokes, blah blah. Well little did I know that I had inadvertently gotten a rather massive amount of battery acid on my pants when moving them, so when introduced to a nice base such as water - they removed the fabric from my pants. All I had left, when we stood up to leave, was from the knee down and the belt portion of my pants. Hilarity ensued.

telot

OMG

You just can't make this shit up, folks. Thanks Telot -- you made my night. Ha!

telot

lol damn battery's

This sort of thing happened to me carrying a cracked troling motor battery when going fishing when I was like 14, I didn't loose as much of my pants as you, but it looked like my right leg got hit with a round of bird shot.

Darren, i have my old laptop battery safely disassembled, and am setting them up for pineapple awesomeness. How do i charge them after? Safely?

If its Lithium ion, its tricky, if Nickle Metal Hydride (for got the letters:) ) or niCd, its easier.

Lithium ions need a sliding scale, so to speak. I've been hunting down a good rule of thumb design for Li recharging, but haven't found it yet. (then toss in Lithium polymer ion )

Maxxim and Microchip offer free samples of chips (not their full line nor in each package) just set up an account looking like a company. Fill out the questionnaires like you will buy in at least 1k quantities.

I think I'm just going to buy this http://www.amazon.com/18650-Rechargeable-Li-Ion-Battery-Charger/dp/B004B1BR24/ref=sr_1_6?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1331247091&sr=1-6 , put the 2 slots in series, then make an adapter for my plug I have on my new case I've made (I'll post picture soon) but my pack has 6 batteries, 2 sets of 3 in parellel, and then those to sets in series. So when I charge them, should I charge them 3 times? because these are Lith-Ion batteries, the charger should have a timed cut off, so the batteries aren't ruined.

Also, I know that some lith-ion batteries have the protection circuit in them, would the ones out of a laptop have those in them?

I found this http://www.amazon.com/Tenergy-Protected-Cylindrical-rechargeable-batteries/dp/B001C1WMMU/ref=sr_1_38?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1331248249&sr=1-38 (not concerned about the product, just the pictures) My batteries are coated like the ones in the picure, (with no markings), would it be safe to assume that they have the protection circuit like the ones in the other picute on that product?

Edited by soka80

I think I'm just going to buy this http://www.amazon.com/18650-Rechargeable-Li-Ion-Battery-Charger/dp/B004B1BR24/ref=sr_1_6?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1331247091&sr=1-6 , put the 2 slots in series, then make an adapter for my plug I have on my new case I've made (I'll post picture soon) but my pack has 6 batteries, 2 sets of 3 in parellel, and then those to sets in series. So when I charge them, should I charge them 3 times? because these are Lith-Ion batteries, the charger should have a timed cut off, so the batteries aren't ruined.

Also, I know that some lith-ion batteries have the protection circuit in them, would the ones out of a laptop have those in them?

I found this http://www.amazon.com/Tenergy-Protected-Cylindrical-rechargeable-batteries/dp/B001C1WMMU/ref=sr_1_38?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1331248249&sr=1-38 (not concerned about the product, just the pictures) My batteries are coated like the ones in the picure, (with no markings), would it be safe to assume that they have the protection circuit like the ones in the other picute on that product?

The battery packs have the protection circuit in them.

PICT0461_1.JPG

This is the inside of a Powerbook G4 battery. The circuit is in the upper right of the pack. There's also a thermister sitting between a couple of the cells for overheat protection.

This is the inside of a Powerbook G4 battery. The circuit is in the upper right of the pack. There's also a thermister sitting between a couple of the cells for overheat protection.

I don't have a battery pack like this, I literally took a dremel to my old laptop battery, and I'm using the cells individually. without any external circuitry, I'm wondering if they have a protection cicuit inside them.

I don't have a battery pack like this, I literally took a dremel to my old laptop battery, and I'm using the cells individually. without any external circuitry, I'm wondering if they have a protection cicuit inside them.

The cells won't have any protection inside them.

If you want to build yourself a batter pack HERE is a PCB 7.2v Circuit Protection board if you are using unprotected 18650's or the like.

Used them in a number of other projects and they worked great!

If you want to build yourself a batter pack HERE is a PCB 7.2v Circuit Protection board if you are using unprotected 18650's or the like.

Used them in a number of other projects and they worked great!

so the battery's go in on B-/B+ and you charge/use on P+/P- ? thats it?

I might get this, but the protected batteries are the same price so we'll see.

• 2 weeks later...
I've been evaluating nearly a dozen battery packs for the HakShop and think I've found the two we'll carry as they offer the best quality, value and performance.

Any estimate on when these would be available? I'm itching to get a nice battery pack for this to go mobile, but I just haven't found one I feel good about yet.

For my mods that need batteries, I use these: http://www.energizerpowerpacks.com/us/products/xp8000/

I also modded my daughters Airhogs Heli and Car to charge off these as well.

They are super useful!

I might have to add the pineapple to my cuurent "black box" that houses my AIRPCAP NX and my ALFA.

2341493390104767674bMiZFk_th.jpg

2607972610104767674eMgxLm_th.jpg

2639807540104767674nnQikp_th.jpg

Edited by gmgfarrand