Mk4 Pineapple Urban Assault Mod

Here's a sneak peak at a mod I'm doing for the SXSW conference. They're not done yet -- still need to add a switch and some laser engraved Ma' Bell logo. I'll be littering these across Austin, TX. Let the pwnage begin.

6804062304_a4af713caa_z.jpg

Inside the enclosure lives a massive battery pack and pineapple. No 3G, yet. This one simply replaces the *.* Internet with kitten photos. *The Horrors!*

6804063034_7c71f2da51_z.jpg

F*cking Magnets, How Do They Work?

6804063934_d38db5fb2c_z.jpg

12x 3.7v 3000mAh cells. Two packs of 6 in parallel put in serial for 7.2V @ 18,000mAh. Should last all day. For the next box I'll be going for 48,000mAh - nearly 2 days operation.

6950174415_f996f16698_z.jpg

Inconspicuous. Adjective: Not clearly visible or attracting attention; not conspicuous.

6950175273_50c29db0f5_z.jpg

This is right next to a local Starbucks. I've also found it sticks well to lamp posts and telephone poles in my area.

I'll have a full modding segment on Hak5 here shortly going over this as well as many other aspects of operation and urban camouflage.

This is a pentesting tool only. NO MESSING WITH COFFEE DRINKERS! Haha this looks sick as all hell man. Whats the enclosure? Aluminum with a steel plate for the magnets?

telot

Yes, I should point out that this is indeed a penetration testing tool and here at Hak5 we don't condone messing with the coffee drinkers. I was only mention that because my target at XYZ corp which I've been legally granted permission to audit frequents this establishment and my pineapple has been configured to white list him only. So, be nice out there.

Yep, aluminum with steel plate for the magnets. Next one will be a plastic hobby box with aluminum backing, steel plate & more magnets allowing me to put directional antenna inside the box (like a claymore), 3G, more batteries.

I won't get in trouble as SXSW has given me permission to do this for my panel. Or, at least I'm told I have permission. Hope I don't have to ask for forgiveness. Whatever, it's just kittens.

I'm not worried about anyone on the forums ripping them off. I mean, you guys are pretty chill. Though this could make for a good game of wifi geocaching! Triangulation FTW!

As for the gear, I'm evaluating a ton of it and will be adding a DIY department to the hakshop.

I'm really eager to see what mods the community comes up with.

LOVE IT!!!

Gotta get a.few.battery packs, some of those right angle power cables (hakshop?), and start having some fun!!

Anxious to find out about the next level battpack you're thinking about....Neinsager is gonna take double the power, and I gotz me 4 MK3s and 2 (soon to be 4 when my Alfa usb/ttl cable arrives) MK4s, so I'm really looking forward to getting some Jasager/Neinsager backpacks into some creative enclosures!!

The MK4 is so $&@**#@ brilliant, love you guys!!! Stock up the hakshop, Darren & Snubsie, I got some spendin to do!! ;)

Yes, I should point out that this is indeed a penetration testing tool and here at Hak5 we don't condone messing with the coffee drinkers. I was only mention that because my target at XYZ corp which I've been legally granted permission to audit frequents this establishment and my pineapple has been configured to white list him only. So, be nice out there.

Yep, aluminum with steel plate for the magnets. Next one will be a plastic hobby box with aluminum backing, steel plate & more magnets allowing me to put directional antenna inside the box (like a claymore), 3G, more batteries.

I won't get in trouble as SXSW has given me permission to do this for my panel. Or, at least I'm told I have permission. Hope I don't have to ask for forgiveness. Whatever, it's just kittens.

amazing stealth mod. hiding in plain sight is always the most effective.

OK, next con were going to hide a pineapple with a special ssid at the hotel and do a scavenger hunt. Winner keeps the pineapple & enclosure... For all you know it's in the flowers pot at the reception desk! This will be fun. :-)

That will be fun. YAY DERBYCON! (except I'm sure there are tons of cons between now and then)

OK, next con were going to hide a pineapple with a special ssid at the hotel and do a scavenger hunt. Winner keeps the pineapple & enclosure... For all you know it's in the flowers pot at the reception desk! This will be fun. :-)

Can't think of a better way to spread awareness and exploit fellow conners - they're just asking for it aren't they? :)

Which cons is hak5 attending this year? SXSW for sure, but what about Defcon and Derby?

telot

Woo!! Fox and Hound time!

That sounds awesome!! WiFi Analyzer anyone? ;)

What's cool about the Urban Assault Mod is it looks like something that's set up everyday! Most people don't notice them and those that do have grown accustomed to seeing them everywhere. The only thing you need is a less "consumer-grade" antenna!

I set nodes like these up all the time:

IMAG0733.jpg

Of course this is on top of a bridge, so nobody will see it, but you get my point!

If you know that your target frequents a particular starbucks, could you not set some sort of timer for the targets expected usage?

chances are high that he wont be using it at 2am when they are closed.

This would allow your device to run unattended for a longer duration.

Additionally If you are in the vicinity of free WiFi why not use this rather than a 3G connection.

It might require 2/3 wifi adapters

1st Pineapple HoneyPot

2nd for deauth, once connection established to pineapple connect this to Free Wifi.

(or use a 3rd for the perma-connection to Free Wifi).

and lastly (with Evil Genius laugh) could you also not redirect all traffic from your HoneyPot via some form

of VPN or Tunnel back into a network under your control, such that you manipulate the traffic "locally" rather

than strain the Pineapple? Thus forwarding the HoneyPot traffic to your DeathTrap muhahahahahahaha

I've been looking into the smaller form factor antennas and keep running back to the circuit board based trace kind for the sheer flatness and size constraints. I found some like this one http://www.amazon.com/4-Bay-Antenna-Wireless-Assembled-Tested/dp/B000FMNZ8C/ref=sr_1_21?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1330874770&sr=1-21 that should be good for a 12 dB gain. It definitely looks like it will fit in the size constraints of most cases. The added benefit is no "suspicious" antennas poking out of the case along with the waterproofing concerns.

I haven't looked too hard but these are based off of WA5JVB's antenna designs which can easily be diy etched to save on cost if you can find the proper specs for tuning.

I've been looking into the smaller form factor antennas and keep running back to the circuit board based trace kind for the sheer flatness and size constraints. I found some like this one http://www.amazon.com/4-Bay-Antenna-Wireless-Assembled-Tested/dp/B000FMNZ8C/ref=sr_1_21?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1330874770&sr=1-21 that should be good for a 12 dB gain. It definitely looks like it will fit in the size constraints of most cases. The added benefit is no "suspicious" antennas poking out of the case along with the waterproofing concerns.

I haven't looked too hard but these are based off of WA5JVB's antenna designs which can easily be diy etched to save on cost if you can find the proper specs for tuning.

Internal (to an enclosure) antennas all depend on the materials used for the enclosure. Aluminum, steel, metal of any sort = very very bad, particularly for such high frequency RF. Plastics should be ok, but external is always better. External antennas can be "suspicious" I guess - but not really in a metro area where already wifi everywhere. As for waterproofing - a little dab of silicon around the edge on the outside, and maybe even inside does the trick just fine :)

telot

Internal (to an enclosure) antennas all depend on the materials used for the enclosure. Aluminum, steel, metal of any sort = very very bad, particularly for such high frequency RF. Plastics should be ok, but external is always better. External antennas can be "suspicious" I guess - but not really in a metro area where already wifi everywhere. As for waterproofing - a little dab of silicon around the edge on the outside, and maybe even inside does the trick just fine :)

telot

Power and reception definitely depends on the case choice. I should have specified that I meant with the plastic cases. I'm sort of more careful with anything looking too suspicious since we've all seen how Boston reacts to strange electronics devices. We've just hit the five year anniversary of this one - http://bostinno.com/2012/01/31/boston-celebrates-the-5-year-anniversary-of-cartoon-bomb-scare/ So I suppose not having any flashing lights or strange glows emanating from the case is warranted here. ;)

Power and reception definitely depends on the case choice. I should have specified that I meant with the plastic cases. I'm sort of more careful with anything looking too suspicious since we've all seen how Boston reacts to strange electronics devices. We've just hit the five year anniversary of this one - http://bostinno.com/...oon-bomb-scare/ So I suppose not having any flashing lights or strange glows emanating from the case is warranted here. ;)

Aqua Teen Hunger Force RULES!!!;-)

one thing I remember about this is they used a long poll with a special tip to place those mooninites up high.

I used to run war walking competitions when I was teaching pen-testing courses. They were always at the same hotel so I found some really good places to hide the APs and some sneaky things to do.

Taking off the antennas was good, meant the signal was quite weak so they had to really search around to find it.

That sounds awesome!! WiFi Analyzer anyone? ;)

What's cool about the Urban Assault Mod is it looks like something that's set up everyday! Most people don't notice them and those that do have grown accustomed to seeing them everywhere. The only thing you need is a less "consumer-grade" antenna!

I set nodes like these up all the time:

Of course this is on top of a bridge, so nobody will see it, but you get my point!

Could you imagine putting a pineapple on a huge antenna somewhere that high? Have always fancied playing with wifi, a large antenna and a high building, not got round to it yet.