Java Cluster Minecraft

BBSreaper

First off what are the specs on the lot of computers you are trying to buy? No offense but if your getting 10 machines for 50 bucks, there must be something wrong with them. You will want to check out a operating system called ROCKS...

http://www.rocksclusters.org/wordpress/

Just a heads up, I am pretty sure everyone here has heard of minecraft.

As for the ram disk option, this depends on your specs as well.

wholesale lot from my college, Duo core Intel 2.2ghz not exactly sure of the exact model, each have 1gb ram each, No HDD.

and I check it out thank you, any info you give on ROCKS< reading their wiki right now.

I am not, The IT guys are trustworthy, every machine post and boots. I Was just going to either use these ode IDE drives I had laying around, or get some cheap USB storage. I have a dl380 g3, however it can not run the server I want, plus I am using it as a seedbox/ftp now.

SO this ROCKS distribution, I am assuming it is a single-system image cluster?

Fairly new to clustering, I am in a position to where I can get lot of 10 PC's for about $50.

Want to see if it would be possible to cluster A server for a game called minecraft, I also want to ramdisk this java game.

is this possible?

Minecraft is not multithreaded. Running it on a cluster is either impossible or not worth it. Even if it could, you'd need some fast interconnects to make it even sustainable.

Your best bet is getting a Core2Quad with 8GB RAM and trying that. Will save you more money long term, anyways.

Minecraft is not multithreaded. Running it on a cluster is either impossible or not worth it. Even if it could, you'd need some fast interconnects to make it even sustainable.

Your best bet is getting a Core2Quad with 8GB RAM and trying that. Will save you more money long term, anyways.

NOT Multi-Threaded???? it would be pretty piss poor if that were the case! you might be referring to the client and not the server.

tbh, if you can get the 10 computers for $50 and dont mind putting some grunt into getting them running, I'm pretty sure there are some fun things you can do with them.

(ps I'm currently working on clustering a group of 4 i5 2500K with 8Gbs ram... got the PXE boot working at the weekend :D )

NOT Multi-Threaded???? it would be pretty piss poor if that were the case! you might be referring to the client and not the server.

tbh, if you can get the 10 computers for $50 and dont mind putting some grunt into getting them running, I'm pretty sure there are some fun things you can do with them.

(ps I'm currently working on clustering a group of 4 i5 2500K with 8Gbs ram... got the PXE boot working at the weekend :D )

The minecraft server jar is not multi-threaded. Even third-party (now first-party, I guess).jars like Bukkit server are barely mulch-threaded, and only addons can spawn their own threads. The server itself is single threaded.

I have been a minecraft server op for a long time, and I host a large server myself. I assure you, it's piss poor.

• 1 month later...

The minecraft server jar is not multi-threaded. Even third-party (now first-party, I guess).jars like Bukkit server are barely mulch-threaded, and only addons can spawn their own threads. The server itself is single threaded.

I have been a minecraft server op for a long time, and I host a large server myself. I assure you, it's piss poor.

http://www.minecraftwiki.net/wiki/Server

Under "Server requirements"

it says "Minecraft servers, as of 1.1.0, can use multiple cores, so now they won't sit idle."

That was 1.1.0 where have you been, i thought you said you have been doing this for a while.

http://www.minecraftwiki.net/wiki/Server

Under "Server requirements"

it says "Minecraft servers, as of 1.1.0, can use multiple cores, so now they won't sit idle."

That was 1.1.0 where have you been, i thought you said you have been doing this for a while.

I'm almost certain that is garbage collection by the JVM, as that can be threaded.

Fire up a server and watch what happens to the CPU graphs. I can even show you graphs of my boxes... 1-100% used, 101-400% practically idle.