Mark 4 First Dibs & Discount

Darren Kitchen

Damn you Mr. Protocol! Again you pressed Add Reply before I could get a chance to!

I'm 99% sure theres no fuse inside these alfas, so always double check any custom wiring you might be doing before plugging it in to the pineapple with a voltmeter. You can pick them up for as little as $5 at any home store (lowes/home depot/menards/fleet farm). It only takes 1ms of negative voltage to fry these little puppies. A very expensive whoopsie.

telot

Farm and Fleet. Man, I haven't seen one of those in years! I think I was 10 the last time!

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

(and there is a fuse in there, right next to the big cap in front of the power port)

Sweet jesus that is awesome. The commercial grade modems I use everyday (Digi International) are spec wise very similar to Alfas except they are weather hardened and shock resistant and cost $700-$1000 and they don't have any fuses. Gogo Alfa!

telot

The new MK4 Pineapple currently comes with a 5dbi antenna, retractable cat5 cable, a the new black Jasager sticker, a US AC power supply, and the quick start guide. In the future, there will be a bundle with a pelican case, battery pack, and whatever else Darren decides to include.

Fuses will not stop current from going the wrong direction, it only prevents too much current. Diodes are what make one way, and may pop if you send the wrong way.

I'm not referring to preventing current in the wrong direction, but protecting against hooking up positive to negative - such as if the barrel plug is mislabeled or whatever.

I hook up the negative to positive and positive to negative on a 12V battery with an inline fuse - the fuse pops and no damage is done to my 12v device. I've seen it a thousand times (not by my doing mind you - customers).

telot

Edited by telot

Sweet jesus that is awesome. The commercial grade modems I use everyday (Digi International) are spec wise very similar to Alfas except they are weather hardened and shock resistant and cost $700-$1000 and they don't have any fuses. Gogo Alfa!

telot

Its a surface mount chip fuse. Looks just like a resistor or cap. But its labeled F1. You might be surprised that they do have them, just not the old school variants.

I could be wrong, but you only need to watch for over voltage. Amps you need as much or more than the device needs. But buying a 5A power supply may be more pricey than the 1A it needs.

I've always heard the same thing. It will only draw as much as it needs. Hey, at least it will charge your iPad! :lol: