Mk4 Pineapple Tactical Assault Mod

Darren Kitchen

We're pretty much feature complete on the WiFi Pineapple Mark IV now and this afternoon I've been putting a few friendly fruits through some torture tests -- for reliability, stability and all that good stuff. I can't even begin to tell you how proud I am of this project and how many props go out to Robin, Sebastian, Mubix and you guys for the support. The latest firmware is solid and I'm sure you'll be as pleased as I am at how well it "just works". So while I've been here hammering on the things, testing real world battery performance and such I figured I'd break out the 'ol modding gear and put something together for my IT bag of doom.

Step 1: Grab an assortment of sharp objects, power tools and spare USB cables and cutting surface. I used an old magazine.

6906282885_2ee09fcc00_z.jpg

Step 2: Cut your USB cable down to the bare plug exposing the four colored cables. Discard all but the red and black. Step the ends for soldering.

6906287565_fbf6a028c7_z.jpg

Step 3: Grab your smallest generic USB battery pack and test the newly Frankensteined cable with an LED, or multimeter if you want to get fancy.

6906291931_56df08907b_z.jpg

Step 4: Find a DC barrel connector with a 5.5mm outer diameter and 2.1mm inner diameter. Get get ours from Digikey. You can skip this completely if you feel comfortable soldering the cable directly to the board - like we did back with the Mark I.

6906297851_b5bc7effb6_z.jpg

Step 5: Solder the Frankencable's red lead to the inner post and black lead to the outer. Be sure to use enough solder that your forum mates will laugh at you for your horrendous soldering job. Or borrow Snubs -- she gets it done with just a dab.

6906302147_5b918e206b_z.jpg

Step 6: Get yourself a Pelican Micro 1010 case. I think this little guy is made for iPhones. For our production model of this we're more likely to go with the slightly larger 1040 or 1050 as they'll allow for a larger battery and non-naked pineapple.

6906307329_acb0180d8e_z.jpg

Step 7: A 1/4" drill bit does the trick....

6906312395_b555d00e78_z.jpg

Step 8: Tighten the RP-SMA antenna connector

6906320269_22fd350866_z.jpg

Step 9: Test fit your USB battery pack and pineapple PCB with the RP-SMA connector mounted.

6906330891_61e0e12559_z.jpg

Step 10: With the battery / PCB mounted grab yourself a pre-paid 3G modem. You know, the kind you can buy out right and top-up with cash. T-Mobile asked me to "write down my name on a sticky note" so you know its secure. This ZTE 591 works flawlessly with the Mark IV. As does the Novatel MC760 on Ting and Virgin.

6906341005_9174a6378a_z.jpg

Step 11: Make it all fit... Good luck. I like the pricing of Ting better but the T-Mobile has a swivel USB connector and I didn't have a spare short extension laying around. It's tight, but it fits...

6906351099_0be2e901a0_z.jpg

Step 12: Marvel at your new custom made WiFi Pineapple Mark IV Tactical Assault Kit. Consider adding breathing holes ;)

6906357267_d81fbdfbd4_z.jpg

Step 13: With 3G and Karma enabled, poke around the new web interface on your smartphone. Or enable SSH tunnels and get a shell bounced off your VPS.

6906358205_d3093b8317_z.jpg

The Mark IV will be available at hakshop.com by the end of the week. Mark III customers will be receiving a 'first dibs' email later this week. We'll have a more professional Tactical Assault Kit in March. I must say, this thing is a modding delight.

does the mark IV have the same voltage span as the mark III ?

if so, then i'll proberly use one of theese with a snap connector as power source, simple because of the price, and because i allready got alot of duracell rechargeable AA batteries

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/170470242640?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

if so, then i'll proberly use one of theese with a snap connector as power source, simple because of the price, and because i allready got alot of duracell rechargeable AA batteries

http://www.ebay.co.u...984.m1439.l2649

I too have a similier battery pack 8 X aa rechargables 1.2volt each (when fully charged it outputs just under 12 volts)

Would 12 volts be safe?

Darren will the special pack (the one you think will go on sale in march) be available for those who already purchased the mark 4?

I got excited reading your excitement for how things are working:-D

Dude, you're implementing the "first dibs" email for us MK3 customers!! That's AWESOME, thanks Darren!!

I'm SOOOOO excited, I cant WAIT, and that Tactical Assault MK4 is SUCH a sweet idea!! I am electric with anticipation for where you guys are taking this platform!!

Thanks again to the entire dev team for this amazing project, you guys are incredible!!

I'm presently looking into a custom case for a battery pack and the Board the MKIV is based off.

It might take me a while to CAD it up, and I'm still waiting on the board and battery packs to arrive.

I'll also see if I have space for other delights ;)

I'm aiming for a device rugged enough to be left in a backpack, but without a tangle of wires.

Great minds think alike Darren. This is what I did with the Mak3, but combined it with my Alfa card and threw it in a bag.

This was my initial setup with a battery pack.

post-38652-0-91310000-1329773780_thumb.j

This was the guts underneath the battery.

post-38652-0-92833600-1329773836_thumb.j

Then it started heating up just like others did and decided to convert the power to USB and remove the battery pack and add a fan. Now much more simplified I ended up with this.

post-38652-0-20099000-1329773968_thumb.j

The external view with a mesh grill.

post-38652-0-92583300-1329774017_thumb.j

External USB connector for my Alfa.

post-38652-0-87109300-1329774046_thumb.j

Bottom portion of the Mak3.

post-38652-0-08206500-1329774087_thumb.j

I might be slow and yes i might have missed out on something, But Darren, The board looks strangly alike the ALFA R36? Am i totaly off here, Love what you have created here, I cant wait to get my hands on this,Cudos to you and the "Hak5 Family"

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/170470242640?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

In theory should work. In development I've been using USB to power the Mark IV thought he power supply is a 12v 1A unit so I guess anywhere between 5v 500mAh and 12v 1A will do the trick.

I too have a similier battery pack 8 X aa rechargables 1.2volt each (when fully charged it outputs just under 12 volts)

Would 12 volts be safe?

Darren will the special pack (the one you think will go on sale in march) be available for those who already purchased the mark 4?

I got excited reading your excitement for how things are working:-D

Yes, the special pack will be available as a kit for existing MK4 units as well as a bundle.

How about putting a bit of silicone seal around the antenna connection, you've lost the integrity of the case by putting the hole in it but at least this will put a bit of it back.

Very sweet mod!

My only fear is that after time enough heat will build up and harm the board -- so this isn't ideal as a wifi submersible. Also, has anyone ever tested WiFi under water?

Dude, you're implementing the "first dibs" email for us MK3 customers!! That's AWESOME, thanks Darren!!

I'm SOOOOO excited, I cant WAIT, and that Tactical Assault MK4 is SUCH a sweet idea!! I am electric with anticipation for where you guys are taking this platform!!

Thanks again to the entire dev team for this amazing project, you guys are incredible!!

Of course, you guys requested it. Those emails should go out Thursday, then they'll be available to the forums, then the Internet at large.

How much heat is putoff the Mark IV in the Pelican case?

Not enough to be a problem in an hour but I haven't tested over a longer period of time. Can someone recommend a temperature monitor for this?

Looks sweet Darren. Switched battery packs due to space in the pelican case? Thought you were using a Trent.

I have a variety of battery packs and cases I've tested. This is a combination of my smallest battery and case. The Trent is living happily in a slightly larger Pelican 1040. I'm evaluating a lot of different battery options. Currently my best lead is something based on the 18650 cells that power most laptops (and the Tesla Roadster).

I might be slow and yes i might have missed out on something, But Darren, The board looks strangly alike the ALFA R36? Am i totaly off here, Love what you have created here, I cant wait to get my hands on this,Cudos to you and the "Hak5 Family"

At first glance it looks like an R36, but it isn't. This board is brand new from ALFA and the biggest difference is that it sports an Atheros chipset, rather than the R36's Ralink.

Not enough to be a problem in an hour but I haven't tested over a longer period of time. Can someone recommend a temperature monitor for this?

I used this on my fan mod. Not sure it will sense heat internally http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16896268001

Some higher end multi-meters have a temp probe on them as well.

For temperature sensing I got some small stick on sensors with my last motherboard, basically two wires very close together on a bit of tape as far as I could tell. You could easily put one inside and trap the cable in the lid as you shut it so you can monitor it.

For temperature sensing I got some small stick on sensors with my last motherboard, basically two wires very close together on a bit of tape as far as I could tell. You could easily put one inside and trap the cable in the lid as you shut it so you can monitor it.

Yeah, if I had a multimeter that did temps, i'd buy one of these http://www.amazon.com/Fluke-80BK-Integrated-Temperature-Probe/dp/B00116XSMY

I wonder if adding a temp gague and LCD would add to the "leet" factor of the tactical assault kit... hmmm...

Oh my GOD I've been hovering over my email today like a kid on Christmas Eve waiting for that email to arrive!!!!!!! AAARRRRGGG!!! FFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUU.........

:)

I just can't WAIT to get my hands on the new MK4!!

<shatner> Must....get....new..........pineapple.... </shatner>

Oh my GOD I've been hovering over my email today like a kid on Christmas Eve waiting for that email to arrive!!!!!!! AAARRRRGGG!!! FFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUU.........

:)

I just can't WAIT to get my hands on the new MK4!!

<shatner> Must....get....new..........pineapple.... </shatner>

+1 lol