Metasploit Update Problem

TuX^

Hi guys,

I'm trying to update Metasploit in BackTrack 5 via the command "svn up". However, I get an error message saying: "Skipped '.'"

Can you help?

I tried this command: $ svn co https://metasploit.com/svn/framework3/trunk/ msf3/ but that doesn't work. It says it works successfully but the msfconsole is still reporting as 200 days out of date. Do I need to install it or something?

Any help would be appreciated.

TuX^

When you do the check out it will create a directory called msf3 in the current directory. Change in to that and you should get the latest version. Remember next time you need to be in that directory not in the old one you used to use.

Sorted it, thanks guys!

While we're here, why would I be getting the error "The server responded with error: STATUS_ACCESS_DENIED (Command=162 WordCount=0)while trying to run an exploit on ms08_067_netapi?

The system is Windows XP SP2 - No patches. Firewall turned off, Automatic Updates turned off. No AV.

Any ideas?

Cheers,

TuX^

Edited by TuX^

Sorted it, thanks guys!

While we're here, why would I be getting the error "The server responded with error: STATUS_ACCESS_DENIED (Command=162 WordCount=0)while trying to run an exploit on ms08_067_netapi?

The system is Windows XP SP2 - No patches. Firewall turned off, Automatic Updates turned off. No AV.

Any ideas?

Cheers,

TuX^

That attack requires SMB services. Make sure workstation, server, and computer browser services are on for the machine. You can actually thwart the exploit on an XP box that is vulnerable, by turning those three off. They are usually on by default install though, so if they are on, something else is blocking it.

Edited by digip