Problems with router connectivity-model DI-614+ (D-Link)

leetabix

Hi again all, my lack of presence lately is attributed to the thing currently racking my brains. Namely, I was wondering why my DI-614+ D-Link router is malfunctioning. The problem is basically that after connecting everything as it says in the manual (i.e turn router on with nothing plugged into it, turn cable modem on with ethernet lead connected only to the cable modem (other end unconnected), connect lead to wan port of router, then connect ethernet lead from port 1/2 to the computers used on the network (namely my housemate and mine)).

The isp's (ntl in this case) broadband setup disk was run seperately on each computer, connected directly to the cable modem. I fear this might be a possible cause of the problem due to the final configuration used, however I found this was the simplest method (in terms of lack of connectivity problems) to use at that point in time. Now both computers are connected as described in the first paragraph, we are experiencing disconnection and subsequent reconnection, the frequency of which is both occasional and often. I managed to get hold of the most recent firmware for this model of router, but this seems to have accomplished nothing. I have also set the router clock to the current time/date as I read in a primary search of the matter that doing this mysteriously rectified the problem. However in my case it hasn't.

Therefore, reading the above, can anyone offer any insight into the problem? I have left all settings (except for the upgrade in firmware, and changing the admin password for the router) as default so as to simplify the problem. As always, any help is invaluable!

Best way of setting it up is to connect a computer to the modem directly, then run the CD on that (its just to activate the connection, the software is useless anyway). Once the line is activated you can hook up the router and go. No need to run it on all the computers. (Moot point now i know).

As for your router issues, is it loosing the LAN or WAN IP? Or is it physically disconnecting (XP flashing a message up saying cable unplugged)? Is the rooter restarting at all? If it is restarting, make sure its got airflow.

Try setting the DHCP lease time to 24 hours? (Also check to see if the lease time corrolates to the disconnections). And makesure no one is running any P2P programs. You could try removing all the NTL software.

It's actually physically disconnecting (i.e the case where you mentioned XP flashing a message up saying cable unplugged) even though the cable is present in both ends of the cable. I don't think it's a cable/network card problem as both computers experience this symptom.

Imran (my housemate) does run p2p software, but this happens when he's not using it also, so I don't think it's a case of him raping the connection. Lease time for DHCP was previously a week (and was enabled as default). Have left it on, but reduced to 24 hours as suggested. Also uninstalled their software (2 programs as far as I was able to see). Anymore help would be welcome, if the problem is corrected I'll post back with what did it.

Might well be a RTV by the sounds of it (get a linksys wrt54g off of ebay). But just for a laugh, go to the advanced propertys for the network card (device manager -> <network card> -> advanced tab). Make sure there not set to power down and that things like flow control are enabled.

RTV meaning Return to Vendor I'm assuming? I never had the problem with it when I used it previously, does suck a tad. I wasn't able to check flow control (couldn't find it, not sure of its exact location and the actual setting name, but had a look for similar). Powering down however is not enabled, so that rules that one out. Thanks again for the help Vako :).

I had the same one is it was doing the same think for like 2 weeks I had enough and was going to go get a new router but but then it just stoped..... just stoped.. and now it's working fine.. (have have dhcp lease set to one hour now and that may have fixed it but really I have no idea if it was anything I did)

If money is tight and a new router is not in the budget give it a week or two the problem may fix itself... or it may not and you may need to get a new one if you can't live with the disconnects.

Looks like the problem mainly manifests itself when both of us are plugged in to the router. It does it briefly (disconnects) when I restart after myself only being plugged into the router, but connects again and works thereafter. Have only realised this just now. Any renewed ideas/takes on the problem?

*Edit* Did a little test, but not sure what it means. Disconnected cable moden connection to the router, and then connected both our cables. The router was doing its job at this point. Then when the ethernet cable leading from the cable modem was inserted into the wan port of the router, it promptly went haywire again.

Most frustrating...:s.

Found out the cause of the problem, for future reference for anyone who has this same problem :p. The power supply that I used was 6V, was supposed to be a 5V one (DC this is). Found my 5V one at home, after exhausting everything else, and then noting that I was using a different power supply, from looking at the manual.

I think that most electrical products have a system whereby they disperse the excess voltage, in case of a power source drawing upon more power than is expected. This protection system only works untill a certain threshold is reached, whereby the device would then be fried I imagine. But I also imagine this would have to be a relatively large amount of power for it to do this. Or would would logically think so anyhow...