When is language translation software going to be half OK

Garda

i was reading this

and all i wanted was to find out about bullet proof toilets. Instead i get badly translated gibberish.

My favourite passage

"because if someone got in the side remained still while notebook computer, at least not what a fish in the moat suffer!"

Maybe when they perfect a way for a computer to understand slang and bad grammar? I have a hard enough time trying to figure out what some people are saying as it is, much less trying to teach a computer how to understand that and translate it.

Without bad translations, would we have been given the old, "All your base are belong to us" phrase?

That's one of the best translations i've seen in awhile. Usually google is 1/2 decent at getting the general message of the page across, but when you're talking about non-romance languages like Japanese it becomes considerably more difficult, especially when it's a peice of software translating, not a person.

Yeah Babel seems able to get the message across when you're working with romance languages too but again, eastern languages cause it a slight problem... Google is much the same, though again, both see to be able t get the rough idea across usually.

In order to successfully translate, the software would not only need a dictionary and the syntax of the language, but it would have to understand the MEANING of the sentence. The technology will get better, but I don't see 'clean' translation for a LONG time.