Mark Iv Info And Wifi Pineapple Road-map

Here's some history on the project which should outline the road-map including the WiFi Pineapple Mark IV.

Hardware and Software:

The Jasager suite constitutes the drivers, web interface and software toolkit. The mark number specifies hardware platform combined with Jasager suite.

The Mk1 and Mk2 platforms were based on the Fon 2100 and Open-Mesh Mini, respectively, coupled with the Jasager 1.0 firmware. This firmware was based on madwifi-ng and is deprecated. The Mk3 is based on the the ALFA AP51 and a new Jasager suite. This version of Jasager introduced a hostapd based Karma driver and a redesigned interface, configuration and tool-set intended to make internet connection sharing and basic sniffing easier.

The WiFi Pineapple:

The "WiFi Pineapple", introduced in September of 2008 on Hak5 episode 4x01, is the Hak5 implementation of Jasager. At Shmoocon 2009 a WiFi Pineapple was donated to J0nny Long as silent auction item raising over $400 for Hackers for Charity. Subsequent iterations have been donated to benefit HFC. Originally there was no commercial intention with the project. Eventually by late 2009 and after many requests the WiFi Pineapple found its first release in the HakShop with a hand full of custom commissioned Mark I's (inside plastic pineapple case), then generally available with the Mark II.

As always we're committed to open source and compatible hardware should be able to run the Jasager suite. The Jasager forums are the best place to find help. The OM1P is a good example of a 3rd party board with Jasager compatibility.

The Mark III:

The Mark III came about when the Mark II hardware was no longer available. It introduced the redesigned Jasager suite which is backwards compatible with previous hardware. It found an increase in demand coupled with a lack of supply due to the end-of-life of the AR2315 chipset. The HakShop unexpectedly ran out of the Mk3 in early December 2011, bumping up development of the then pending MK4. Firmware updates will continue for the MK3.

The Mark IV:

The Mark IV is a new hardware platform based on a beginning-of-life chipset. It runs the recently released Jasager suite which is under heavy development and will continue to be backwards compatible with the MK3. Obvious hardware differences will prevent some features from being available on older hardware but all compatible features will be available on the Mk3 firmware for the foreseeable future.

The Mark IV is based on a customized AP from ALFA. As far as I know we're the first to integrate this board and as of writing it has not yet come to the consumer market. It contains the Atheros AR9331 SoC, two Ethernet ports, 802.11 b/g/n and USB. The clockspeed is a little over double that of the AP51 -- 180 to 400 MHz MIPS. We expect the dual Ethernet to allow us to implement "The Interceptor" aka "Network Monkey" (layer-2 bridge capture / rebroadcast). USB adds potential for a second WiFi radio (imagine an ALFA AWUS036H backpack), storage, GPS and 3G/4G. Also it's black, which adds 50 hacker points.

Going forward:

At Shmoocon 2012 we brought a small number of MK4 "Beta" units. The boards are hardware feature-complete and run a slightly modified version of the MK3's 1.9 Jasager firmware (see Seb's release). We have been soliciting feedback and feature requests, which Shmoocon proved to be a perfect venue for.

The boards won't be available in the HakShop until end of February, by which time we hope to have a significant set of features ready for a one-point-oh. We are very excited about what the new hardware capabilities offer and we hope you understand the quick and unavoidable release time between MK3 and 4. While we don't have the logistical resources between Shannon, Paul and myself to run a trade-in program we are evaluating options to honor our loyal HakShop customers.

The project is under development by Robin Wood (Digininja), Sebastian (Sebkinne) and I with your valued feedback and testing. It will continue to be by-hackers for-hackers, with a hacker price-point as well as community editions. It'll never be an expensive locked down black box security appliance -- if anything the addition of USB alone will catapult homebrew development. I'm confident with your help Jasager will continue to evolve as a powerful and easy to use WiFi-focused pen testing platform.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Mark IV is based on a customized AP from ALFA. As far as I know we're the first to integrate this board and as of writing it has not yet come to the consumer market. It contains the Atheros AR9331 SoC, two Ethernet ports, 802.11 b/g/n and USB. The clockspeed is a little over double that of the AP51 -- 180 to 400 MHz MIPS. We expect the dual Ethernet to allow us to implement "The Interceptor" aka "Network Monkey" (layer-2 bridge capture / rebroadcast). USB adds potential for a second WiFi radio (imagine an ALFA AWUS036H backpack), storage, GPS and 3G/4G. Also it's black, which adds 50 hacker points.

Darren just curious, will it have more flash memory than mark3(8MB)?

and did Robin have to recode for the newer atheros chip? I know he said before that it was a huge pain.

Can't wait to get my hands on one:-D

The mark3 is still very awesome, to have a trade in for mark4's would be dumb, there have been shortages since release and many topics on where to buy this inventory depleting device.

I can see why people who bought one from the hack shop would be a bit upset, but sebkinne is doing an awesome job adding functionality and improving what is already a great device "mark3".

The MK4 hardware, for now, features 8MB ROM / 32 MB RAM -- which is expandable via USB. The processor architecture changed from Atheros AR23 to AR72, so cross-compiling everything has been required. That said we're well on our way to a stable build and adding features is the primary goal now. Stay tuned - it's only getting better from here :)

This is looking good.

Very interested in watching this continue to grow.

Just got a new piece of hardware i'm playing with TP-Link TL-WR703N.

It too has a 400mhz proc and usb. Only 1 ethernet port however.

Interested in pricing of the new board once it is available on market.

The USB port is the biggest step forward for Jasager. More storage space and the ability to add things like 3g modem or external wireless or bluetooth or to tether your phone etc etc.

Oh ya, looking forward to this. hopefully It will work with tethering to a phone, if not ill just use the wifi hotspot on my phone and an alfa. good work darren.

P.S. we need sslstrip on this thing. and possibly driftnet.

no more scripts and tether with laptops, just straight up packet capturing goodness. tied with maybe a flash drive and an alfa. This will be sweet.

Edited by soka80

Ha!!!

I love you guys soooo much!!!

Good LORD I cant wait, thank you Darren, Seb, Digininja, Snubs, and all the awesomness that is Hak5!!!

Hey Darren, how about this for us loyal HakShop patrons who jumped on the MK3: Give us first crack at the first batch of MK4s? Send out a pre-release email to.those of us who invested in the MK3 platform and let us order a "one per customer" before the HakShop puts em up for all to buy? ;)

This is great news fellas, and thanks for posting this info up Darren, keep up the great work brother!

Off to dream about the MK4...counting packet monkeys jumping n00bcakes to help me sleep. ;)

Nice idea hfam. Also adding a 2nd WiFi Adapter, say with an AWUS036H, seems as likely as adding 3G -- so tethering is on the table.

Would it make sense If your going to use the AWUS036H to use that as the karma'd interface and the internal wifi to connect to the internet/tethered to phone?

as the alfa is more powerful and has a bigger and external antenna

I guess that troughs a wrench into the mix, having to make the firmware with the ability to switch/change what interfaces it uses.

or maybe the karma'd interface needs to be an atheros.

I like hfam's idea to allow the early adapters;-)

Edited by petertfm

Just for further fun and frolics, and if it IS the Hornet-UB (85mm * 60mm)

http://www.alfa.com.tw/in/front/bin/ptdetail.phtml?Part=Hornet_UB&Category=107225

I checked out the dimensions and its a near match to a BeagleBone (86.36mm * 53.33mm)

http://beagleboard.org/bone

also the screw mounts "appear" to line up :D

the BeagleBoard should be able to power off the Hornet's USB as well

so just need to supply 12V to the Hornet.

I've just ordered a BeagleBone so I'll see what neat little tools I can get running off it.

(Currently playing around trying to get Backtrack ARM onto a Pandaboard)

its all good making things like this, but there is little information (ok edit there is little information avaliable to the general public)

on how some one can protect them selves from the "skiddy" who missuses the devices

that are being sold @ the shop.

an interceptor and pineapple all in one would be good for proper pen testing but as far as being useful

for the wanerbe hacker its just an over priced toy to anoy people with.

Edited by xpath

A way to protect yourself which has been mentioned a lot is to create a fake access point and save it to your devices. So if your laptop or iPod Touch or whatever sees the network called "Pineapple Proximity-abc123" that you created then it can work as an alert system to say "Hey this might not be a good place for WiFi Banking".