Setting Up Awus036h On Acer Aspire One With Bt5

Flavius

First off let me say that I'm very new to linux. I know basic commands but that's about it. I decided to try my hand at really learning linux and security testing at the same time. To that end I installed BackTrack5 on an old Acer Aspire One netbook. Now I'm trying to set up an Alfa AWUS036H. It doesn't seem to be recognizing it. From the searching I've done it seems that the proper drivers for this adapter are already built in to BT5. I've tried manually adding wlan1 to the /etc/network/interfaces file to no avail. I know it has to be something really simple that I'm missing and I'm probably going to feel like the biggest idiot but I'm really not sure what to do. Any assistance would be much appreciated.

First off let me say that I'm very new to linux. I know basic commands but that's about it. I decided to try my hand at really learning linux and security testing at the same time. To that end I installed BackTrack5 on an old Acer Aspire One netbook. Now I'm trying to set up an Alfa AWUS036H. It doesn't seem to be recognizing it. From the searching I've done it seems that the proper drivers for this adapter are already built in to BT5. I've tried manually adding wlan1 to the /etc/network/interfaces file to no avail. I know it has to be something really simple that I'm missing and I'm probably going to feel like the biggest idiot but I'm really not sure what to do. Any assistance would be much appreciated.

does it work with windows or any other OS when you install the required drivers for the os?

i didnt have any problems using mine with BT5 or windows xp/7

you might have a faulty card if it wont work with any other os.

does it work with windows or any other OS when you install the required drivers for the os?

i didnt have any problems using mine with BT5 or windows xp/7

you might have a faulty card if it wont work with any other os.

Yes. I am dual booting with Win7 and BT5 and it works fine on Windows.

I have the exact same card as you running BT5 64 and I have no issues whatsoever, it should be supported. Two things, 1-What is it that inst working? Like what exactly are you trying to do that is not working? 2- Are you starting BT5 in no networking mode?

And would you mind running:

ifconfig

then running:

ifconfig -a

I want to see if maybe you just havent brought the interface up or not.

See, I told you I'd feel like an idiot and now I do. I wasn't using the -a option with ifconfig. I see that it is showing up as wlan2. I was expecting wlan1 so everything I was trying included wlan1 in the command. Just goes to show, assume nothing. Thanks for your help.

This would be a good book to buy, walks you through everything you need to know about from setting up your gear to wireless pen-testing.

http://www.amazon.com/BackTrack-Wireless-Penetration-Testing-Beginners/dp/1849515581/ref=sr_1_3?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1328266689&sr=1-3

• 2 weeks later...

This would be a good book to buy, walks you through everything you need to know about from setting up your gear to wireless pen-testing.

http://www.amazon.com/BackTrack-Wireless-Penetration-Testing-Beginners/dp/1849515581/ref=sr_1_3?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1328266689&sr=1-3

Wow, looks like a fantastic book! Just bought it. Can't wait to dive in. Thanks, Infiltrator.