Brute Force Over Serial Connection

rollercoaster

I have a device that I need to configure that no one remembers the password for. I have looked online and on the manufacturers site and I cannot find a reset button/procedure for it. I need to know if anyone knows how to do a dictionary/brute force over a serial connection on CentOS 6. All the tools I have found only work for IP Addresses....

Thanks In Advance!

Is the machine running? If it is and is at a screen saver or locked screen and uses xorg, hit ctrl+atl+*(on num lock keyboard) to unlock.

If you need root, reboot the machine and start in single user mode, then when it boots, run passwd in a console to change the root password.

http://www.centos.org/docs/2/rhl-gsg-en-7.2/s1-q-and-a-linux-single.html

Edited by digip

I may have misread/misunderstood the question. Is the device in question running CentOS? Or is it some other device you are trying to connect to via CentOS? What kind of "device" is it you are trying to get into? Router, switch, termserver?

It would be good to know what device it is beforehand, so we know what we are dealing with.

Edited by Infiltrator

Thanks everyone for the feedback! The equipment in question is a SkyPilot SkyGateway node. I had read all the documentation and searched for everything I could think of on how to do a factory reset. After I posted here I decided to look at their FAQ to see if they had a forum and there was the reset info, the first entry. Once I did the factory reset I could log in with the default password.

When you connect over serial, you should just get a shell to the system, no login required.

That depends on the type of device, but even Cisco equipment over serial will require a password if it was setup with one previously. If its fresh, out of the box, then you have an open system to do whatever you want with since there will be no config or passwords set.

That is true. These airmagnet sensors i was playing with before had a serial port and it would toss me into a limited shell interface that I couldn't do anything with.

The Cisco Aironet AP I have was a little different. I had to make a RJ45 to DB9 cable (Cisco Serial cable) and then do the required password reset process to get access to it.

But I think for a low end devices like these, shouldn't require a password.

Also to the OP, you could try calling or emailing their support for the password reset process.