Scanning A Network

grant_g

So, scanning in my lab is just as you would expect (boring, expected usual things). I read in a reply to a post I posted months ago to go out into the world and just watch (i.e. scan) to learn.

I decided my school would be great place and indeed it is - I'm very confused. From just running standard Nmap scans, i pull up 90% devices from Lanner Electronics and the rest other users on the network. I expected to find far more users (there were 100+ laptops online in the library), but I digress.

Also. My windows side always connects to 10.68.28.xx subnet while my BT5 side (which uses wifi from an external and separate from windows Alfa card) always connects to 10.68.18.xx.

How do I learn more. I really want to know how this network is setup in functions. What tools/scans/reading should I do to learn more?

Thanks,

Grant

Also. My windows side always connects to 10.68.28.xx subnet while my BT5 side (which uses wifi from an external and separate from windows Alfa card) always connects to 10.68.18.xx.

I'd say who ever set up the network must have configured individual subnets throughout the school.

That could explain the two networks 10.68.28.x and 10.68.18.x you are seeing.

Edited by Infiltrator

Always windows get A and BT 5 gets B. For the first come first serve test I made my Windows side reconnect after BT5 was connected - back to subnet A.

In BT5, however, I see multiple networks with SSID "students." Now, I figure this is because there are multiple APs in the library to associate with so I tried joining different ones. Every time it is subnet B.

Edited by grant_g

How are you running Backtrack? On a VM or Bare bone?