'hijacked' Domain Advertisments?

NegativeSpace

(*Advertisements) So, one of the domains that I own is being used for advertisements. I haven't even secured hosting for, or even started to think about using, the domain. No one from the registrar that I bought the domain from even emailed me about it. It seems to me that, since I own the domain, any advertising should have to be approved by me, and that I should be paid for it. This is obviously a common situation, because its on the internet and it's happening to me which means it's happening to other people. How come no one is paying me to advertise on my domain (that I don't currently use for anything)?

Edited by NegativeSpace

Sounds like you bought a godaddy site. Most hosting companies, will place ads on parked domains, whether you ask them to or not. Dreamhost does not as far as I recall, but GoDaddy, Sedo, Hostmonster, Hostgator, and a few others do. Quickest fix for this, upload a blank html file to the site as index.html, and index.php(put both up, wont hurt anything, but PHP files will take prinority over html, so when ready to go live, use one or the other, not both), and it should get rid of them. If you bought the domain name, but no hosting yet, you need to also get the hosting asap and then upload some basic blank page to get rid of their default crap.

Edited by digip

Sounds like you bought a godaddy site. Most hosting companies, will place ads on parked domains, whether you ask them to or not. Dreamhost does not as far as I recall, but GoDaddy, Sedo, Hostmonster, Hostgator, and a few others do. Quickest fix for this, upload a blank html file to the site as index.html, and index.php(put both up, wont hurt anything, but PHP files will take prinority over html, so when ready to go live, use one or the other, not both), and it should get rid of them. If you bought the domain name, but no hosting yet, you need to also get the hosting asap and then upload some basic blank page to get rid of their default crap.

I used domain.com. I haven't actually created any web content yet (as in I never have because I've only just started learning how), and the domain in question will probably not be used for quite a while, and I don't want to pay for hosting that I'm not going to be using for a long time, probably. I own another domain that I've rented web server hosting space for, and that I'll be using, hopefully, soon. That one is also being used for advertising. There's no money coming to me from either of the two domains.

I'm not as interested in putting a stop to it as I am in not being paid for someone else using a domain that is my property to make money. Just to be clear, I'm not ok with anyone using anything that belongs to me without my consent, and I am going to put a stop to the advertising on the domain that I have hosting for. I have other domains that I don't have hosting for, so how can I upload blank files for those? It feels like someone is allowing their yard sale shit to take up half of my yard without even asking me if I mind, or giving me a percentage of the profits from the sales made on my yard. Is this technically legal or technically illegal (not the yard sale analogy obviously)? It has to be one of the two, right? I'm sure people and companies have been sued for less.

Just for fun let's say that I wanted to confront whoever it is that's, as far as I'm concerned, hijacked my domain. Upon whose door would I knock? What would happen if my domain suddenly started getting 10,000,000 hits a day, and generating 100,000 sales by referral per day for the companies whose ads are posted there? As far as I'm concerned, the real situation that's happening right now is ethically identical to that.

Yeah like digip said, you really just need some form of placeholder for the site. In relation to your other post, if you don't have the skills yet to create your own web page atm, then you can just upload a blank page to stop the advertisements. However you will need to secure hosting before anything. If you aren't ready to purchase hosting but you still want to get those ad's off of your page, you may even want to point the URL somewhere else... Good Luck

Before I saw this post I replied to an earlier one, saying that I don't have hosting for some of the domains that are being used for advertisements. So, now I understand that I can redirect any client requests that are made to whateverx.com so that the file(s) that is sent to that client comes from whatevery.com. I can do that despite the fact that I have no hosting space rights assigned for that domain? (Would "redirect" be the right word for that situation?) If that's right, how can I do it?

On a side note for learning purposes, since I am always trying to learn, I am trying to visualize in my head what this traffic 'looks' like. It seems that any client who sends a request to a name server for a domain that does not exist would get an error from the web browser because the name server would just say "I don't know that name" back to the client web browser. Now, since I know that when I point my web browser to my domain and I get advertisements instead of an error, I also have to know that the domain is being hosted by some server somewhere and will respond to a request by handing out a file which consists of links to other websites. Is any of that correct?

Until you have hosting tied to the domain name, you can't really do anything other than ask the registrar to pay you for the adspace, or put up blank pages on your behalf, like a coming soon. Many parked domains will have advertising on them until you upload something, so best to 1 get the hosting, or 2, put in a redirect to a domain you do have hosting with no ads. Not sure how Domain.com sets up their DNS, but you might be able to forward the site somewhere else temporarily until you set the rest up. Log into your domain.com account, and look at the settings.

Edited by digip