Trace Alert

flame

hi everyone

might just be me with my head in the clouds again, but is there anything out there that can tell you in real time if someone was traceing you. like what they have in the games and movies lol i know :blink: . or can anyone make a program to do it? :D

I'm "traceing" you right now, and I have to say, stop with all of what you are doing. Doesn't look good...

There are a couple other ways this can be done besides malware. They can get a rough estimate of your location based on an IP sometimes. They might even be able to calculate your location from the cellphone towers, but if they are doing that then you're dealing with someone pretty well equipped or with tricks I would love to know about.

If they are doing a rough estimate by your IP, you could use a Tor proxy. They have those for Android and you could set one up in your house too.

I would guess you've got something running as a daemon or a service, so I would think you'll have to analyze the packets leaving the cell phone by connecting to a wired network and putting running Wireshark and watch the lines and see what is being output. It'll probably be a bit of digging, but you'll be able to find out what IP it's aiming at, what it's passing back and maybe what applications are using it. From there, you can block the port so it can't talk anymore.

You could also go low-tech and just go somewhere that will be both suspicious, out in the open and unfamiliar to the watcher. Then just wait for the person to arrive and watch from a distance. Whatever equipment they are looking at when they are driving up is the problem. Just get a hold of that and see what they have running.

You could also just nuke your phone and computer. Format and re-install. Keep important data on detached storage and slowly migrate it back. The last thing you migrate before you start seeing shadows is probably the infected source.

Then I would burn off your fingerprints and drink some ammonia so they can't get your DNA an-SHIT ***THUD***

what i mean is say you were theoretical hacking say a gov and they started a trace on you ip. is there a way a program can alert you that a trace is in progress as give you a estimate ov how long you have left before they completes the trace like in the game link?

ps before you say anything i know it is illegal to hack a gov and i am not going to just was thinks after i played the game and it got me thinks is there any pos way to do it in real life. just for educational purposes. thx for your replays so far and no i am was not worried when you said you were tracing me lol.

You will need real equipment and software to be able to trace someone in real time. Generally speaking, if you know the persons IP address that is tracing you in real time, you could use GEOIP database to locate his geographical location. But that could be a problem, if he is using a proxy server.

If the person is not using a proxy, than you could use triangulation software to determine his actual location. That's what Google Latitude uses to determine one's physical location.

The poster is asking for an "Alert" system to tell if he has been busted and they are tracing him. Geo location is not the answer.

Fact is a government entity only needs an IP address and they can get your home address pretty easily if you do not bounce off a VPN or something of the like.

Even if you do, they can request the records using connection times and when you are sitting at home thinking you are free, the door gets kicked in.

Doing GEO location on an IP Address will only get to you the ISP the user is on and a very general area.

What Are the Limitations of Geolocation?

IP address location databases have greatly improved in accuracy over the years. They may attempt to map each network address to a specific postal address or latitude/longitude coordinate. However, various limitations still exist:

[*]IP addresses may be associated with the wrong location (e.g., the wrong postal code, city or suburb within a metropolitan area).

[*]Addresses may be associated only with a very broad geographic area (e.g., a large city, or a state). Many addresses are associated only with a city, not with a street address or latitude/longitude location.

[*]Some addresses will not appear in the database and therefore cannot be mapped (often true for IP numbers not commonly used on the Internet).

Yes, I do know its not an answer but I was just throwing some general ideas.

so the simple answer is no there is nothing out there atm that will alert you when you or being traced. thx for your replies. I think this could be a good project to work on and a good security tool for them that or being stupid and braking the law lol. :D

int0x80's right, if you're getting tracked, your wife/girlfriend/bully is doing it from something on your cellphone. If it's the FBI, you prolly shouldn't 'a done what you done.

I'm interested in why you think someone is tracking you too. That might provide insight into how to prevent it.

int0x80's right, if you're getting tracked, your wife/girlfriend/bully is doing it from something on your cellphone. If it's the FBI, you prolly shouldn't 'a done what you done.

I'm interested in why you think someone is tracking you too. That might provide insight into how to prevent it.

i am not.

what i meant is say you were theoretical hacking say a gov and they started a trace on you ip. is there a way a program can alert you that a trace is in progress as give you a estimate ov how long you have left before they completes the trace like in the game link?

ps before you say anything i know it is illegal to hack a gov and i am not going to just was thinks after i played the game and it got me thinks is there any pos way to do it in real life. just for educational purposes. thx for your replays so far and no i am was not worried when you said you were tracing me lol.

i am not.

what i meant is say you were theoretical hacking say a gov and they started a trace on you ip. is there a way a program can alert you that a trace is in progress as give you a estimate ov how long you have left before they completes the trace like in the game link?

If you tried hacking the government, thats just stupid in itself. At some point in any connection you make that sends a reply back up the path it came from, your endpoint will be identifiable, at some level. If data has to reach you, then it doesn't matter what service, proxy, or darknet connection you try to use, at some basic level, you are identifiable, VPN'ed, tunneled or not, the data wouldn't know where to go and travel back to you if you weren't in some manner traceable.

If you do ANY of this from your home, then you are just asking for trouble, even if spoofing your MAC address, your equipment such as your cable modem, is still your link to the outside world and your ISP would know who's account is at the end of the rope. You can only give out so much slack, before you hang yourself. If you have to ask, then you are probably already doing something wrong and I would suggest learning about networking in general before getting all "theoretical" with things you don't have any understanding of. Almost all of the posts you've made, are questions about things that aren't overly complicated, even for novice level users, and I think if you are using a computer to access the internet, put some time and effort into understanding how that works in the first place. If I were you, I wouldn't be worried about hacking the government and getting traced, I would be worried more about if you yourself have been hacked and how secure your own home network and workstations are.

There isn't like a trace time like they show in movies. Basically, Blue Team checks logs and looks for IP addresses they want. Then they go to that IP address. If you pivoted off of something, Blue team requests logs from that server. If you aren't behind a proxy, it's more like they get your address and wait around while a warrant comes through. Tracing who has connected to a server isn't a slow process. It either happens really, really fast and they know which computer they want or it happens really really slow because there is a bunch of paperwork getting filed.

So there are ways to hide where you are coming from, but when the FBI starts looking for you, they'll just find you. No tracing involved.

If you are worried about having a real-time stalker, that's different. Keep your head down, pay with cash, get out of the region they are looking in. I would say grow a beard, but I'm guessing you are a bit young still.

Either way, there isn't really a way to measure the progress of researching you when someone is looking for you, and that is kind of what you are asking for.

Hey Int0x80, you have any suggestions on privatizing cell phone use? I know that Moxie Marlinspike has done work with encrypting text messages, but do you have any suggestions on point to point encryption on calls? Data I'm comfortable with, but communications is something I am pretty inexperienced with.

Hey Int0x80, you have any suggestions on privatizing cell phone use? I know that Moxie Marlinspike has done work with encrypting text messages, but do you have any suggestions on point to point encryption on calls? Data I'm comfortable with, but communications is something I am pretty inexperienced with.

I don't, sorry. I guess if you can get your voice channel to data, maybe through something like Skype or Google Voice, then the channel and its contents could be encrypted? But I don't really know much about the protocols in use on phones and mobile networks.

I figure the way to go is to purchase pre-pay phones every week with cash and don't take a phone with you when you make the purchase. This is one aspect that TV/movies probably have right lol.

I know Whisper Systems does full disk encryption on a smartphone. You could set up that with the encrypted SMS and Skype to get things pretty well secured. I think I've just found the tipping point of paranoia Vs. cheapness. Buy a burn phone every week to avoid getting monitored by the Feds? Meh, I'll just let Agent Stanley listen to me talk to all my buddies.

The only problem I see with buying new phone/sim card every week, is that you must register it before you can use it. So just like the IP address, your name and address will be tied to it. Unless you forge your details, then it will be hard for them to track you down.

Diggs has a good point, too, which is to just assume that any conversation on a mobile phone is being monitored or recorded by some gov agency. So only have benign types of conversations on your phone; and save the other conversations for secure channels :)

But back to OP, to my knowledge there is not any way for a consumer to detect when you are being actively monitored.

If you tried hacking the government, thats just stupid in itself. At some point in any connection you make that sends a reply back up the path it came from, your endpoint will be identifiable, at some level. If data has to reach you, then it doesn't matter what service, proxy, or darknet connection you try to use, at some basic level, you are identifiable, VPN'ed, tunneled or not, the data wouldn't know where to go and travel back to you if you weren't in some manner traceable.

If you do ANY of this from your home, then you are just asking for trouble, even if spoofing your MAC address, your equipment such as your cable modem, is still your link to the outside world and your ISP would know who's account is at the end of the rope. You can only give out so much slack, before you hang yourself. If you have to ask, then you are probably already doing something wrong and I would suggest learning about networking in general before getting all "theoretical" with things you don't have any understanding of. Almost all of the posts you've made, are questions about things that aren't overly complicated, even for novice level users, and I think if you are using a computer to access the internet, put some time and effort into understanding how that works in the first place. If I were you, I wouldn't be worried about hacking the government and getting traced, I would be worried more about if you yourself have been hacked and how secure your own home network and workstations are.

thx for this sorry to dissapoint tho i know a load and i would not be hacking the gov. i am only asking if it was pos was just a last min thought. i am not worried about being hack as i know my system is as secure as any system can be lol.

ones again thx for all your replays. the reason i asked the question was after a film i wondered if it was pos to do it in real life so i ask some of my m8s that know way more stuff than me and they said that they did not know of anything. but it is theoretically possible but probably not. hope you get that lol. so i decided to ask on here as you all have helped me out with stupid question before and most ov the time the answers or really good and get me think in a different way or direction to completive my task. :P :lol:

Hollywood sort of false advertise 'hacking'

This is a big reason why I spent endless hours learning.

"what is a cookie virus" from 1995 the movie hackers a cookie scrolls across the screen and supposavly eats up memery... A cookie is used when your web browser logs into a server, this cookie could be sniffed or stolen and give a hacker access to these websites

This was my first question ;p