Hmpf, Plz Give Me A Hand

LynnK

hey barry thanks for pointing me in this direction. I was just re reading some of it and saw your title itard wrangler... so appropriate haha. any way are you using a markIII or a diff firmware in those screen grabs? diff as opposed to lastest MarkIV updated to 1.0.2

hey barry thanks for pointing me in this direction. I was just re reading some of it and saw your title itard wrangler... so appropriate haha. any way are you using a markIII or a diff firmware in those screen grabs? diff as opposed to lastest MarkIV updated to 1.0.2

The iTard wrangler came from the netstumbler forums, I kinda became the defacto mac expert there... :rolleyes:

Those shots were on a MKIII. Whenever I try to run Lion on my macbook, it tries to catch fire, so I don't do it very often. "Should" be the same either way though. The internet sharing part is completely on the laptop, the pineapples are just looking for an ip address.

• 11 months later...

For internet connection sharing from your Macbook to the Pineapple follow these instructions:

System Preferences -> Network make sure Wifi is turned on and is connected to your wireless router.

Click the cog wheel at the bottom of the Network panel and go to "Service Order" make sure, it's set for "Wifi" first and "Ethernet" second.

Click on the ethernet adapter from the list on the left, and from the "Configure IPv4" dropdown menu, select Manually For the IP address type in 172.16.42.xx (select something random for xx that's not .1 (gateway))

For the subnet mask type in 255.255.255.0

Hit the advanced button on the bottom and navigate to the DNS tab, create two entries, a primary and secondary. For the primary enter in 8.8.8.8 (Google) and 8.8.4.4 for the secondary.

Hit the Apply button to save the settings.

Exit out of the Network preferences and navigate to the "Sharing" preferences panel, Click on the "Internet Sharing" box but don't check it yet, just single click on it to display it's preferences.

From "Share your connection from:" dropdown box, select "Wifi" and for the "To computers using:", put a check on "Ethernet". Plug your ethernet cable into your Pineapple and then click and check the box for "Internet Sharing" to turn it on. You should be prompted about wanting to share the connection, just click "Ok".

After that's done, open up a web browser and nagivate to "172.16.42.1:1471" you should be prompted to enter in your credentials.

Congrats, you're now sharing the internet connection from your macbook to the pineapple :)

• 5 months later...

Hi,

I just got my Wifi Pineapple. I've followed the youtube instructions as explained in the above post. to the T! but It still wouldn't work. I tried connecting to 172.16.42.1:1471 and it would just time out. The only way I can get in is when I connect to it via wifi, but the internet wouldn't work. Do I have a broken unit? can anyone help?

Oh sorry, I'm running on Mac OSX Mountain Lion. I've gotten it to the point where both my internet (wifi) and pineapple (ethernet) are connected. but when I turn on the internet sharing. that's when it shits the bed. I captured some packets from the ethernet port and pretty much shortly after I turn on the internet sharing, pineapple loses 172.16.42.42 and starts arp requesting for it. Even though the port is assigned that.

I also have a windows laptop that i've tried it one once. no joy.

I have a VM of Linux Ubuntu on my Mac that I haven't tried yet though. Do you think that would be easier?

Thanks for the help!

There is a wiki entry on this. For obvious reasons I reccomend Option 2... Also you can search for my post "Mac Ics Works". There are instructions and steps for turning on ICS using Mountain Lion. But basically, use the POE port on the pineapple connected to your Mac. Set your Macs eth port to 172.16.42.42 ,255.255.255.0 and 8.8.8.8 for DNS. As soon as you turn on ICS on the Mac it will hijack the IP address range and change it to 192.168.2.X. While the Mac and Pineapple are up and running in this configuration you'll need to use a different device to login to the Pineapple's WiFi and go to the control page. In the top right corner (firmware 2.8.1) you'll see the IP address that Mountain Lion's ICS assigned. Someing like 192.168.2.5 or whatever that last digit is... remeber that or write it down. Go back to your Mac, open up a browser and enter that IP address like this 192.168.2.5:1471 and you should be able to access the Control page from your Mac. But, since it's operating on a different IP address range than the Pineapple you'll need to also turn on ICS in the Pineapple to bridge them. I use the Network Manager to simplify this. You'd basically select the from eth1 to wlan0 in the drop down boxes and hit save. This should allow anyone who connects to the Pineapple access to the internet that your Mac is connected to via it's WiFi. Make sense?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Confirmed:

just use dhcp the first time boot,it will give you a 172.16.42 address ,go to 172.16.42.1, set the password,and ssh to it.

nano /etc/config/network,change the ip to 192.168.2.X ,anything besides 192.168.2.1 and 255,net mask 255.255.255.0,gateway 192.168.2.1

save,reboot.

you need to set your ethernet adapter on your mac to 192.168.2.1,subnet 255.255.255.0,gateway was not needed (over here at least),and set dns to 8.8.8.8 or any given dns provider that's open.

After that,enable internet sharing on your mac on the ethernet,voila,works.

Thanks for the posts,it cost me an hour to figure this one out,and then i started googling. ;)