5.5mm Barrel To Usb?

Does anyone here use USB to power there mrk iii?

I got this for the pineapple: eBay link but its not actually powering it? the lights stay on fine etc but i cant seem to get the thing to ping or bring up the interface but on battery power it will???

Does anyone have a working equivalent as my battery pack is soooo unreliable!

I got this for the pineapple: eBay link but its not actually powering it? the lights stay on fine etc but i cant seem to get the thing to ping or bring up the interface but on battery power it will???

I use a homemade usb to barrel adapter. The thing to do would be to plug it in and (carefully) check the voltage using a voltmeter. You should have a solid 5.0VDC coming out. I run my pineapple this way and have for days at a time. Yes, the battery pack sucks. Please SEARCH and find a couple other threads on how to solve the problems with the power barrel.

telot

What a coincidence i just want to buy that usb to barrel same seller :) :)

they ship very quickly :)

I use a homemade usb to barrel adapter. The thing to do would be to plug it in and (carefully) check the voltage using a voltmeter. You should have a solid 5.0VDC coming out. I run my pineapple this way and have for days at a time. Yes, the battery pack sucks. Please SEARCH and find a couple other threads on how to solve the problems with the power barrel.

telot

Sorry i will search in future.. my bad, anyway i don't have a volt meter. I'm pretty sure its putting out the desired voltage as the lights come on perfectly whereas if i used cheapy battery in the battery pack you could see the lights flickering due to the poor amount of power..

Perhaps i should hack it up and combine the 2 usb headers to the one barrel and give it x2 5v leading it to 10v?? or would it not work like that? i'm just thinking along the lines of some USB devices i have seen in the past which plug into 2 usb ports to power it.

Edited by rotunda

they ship very quickly :)

Sorry i will search in future.. my bad

Liar!

http://forums.hak5.org/index.php?showtopic=25049

lol :)

telot

here's my home made battery mod (attach file) i cut the barrel plug from my old Motorola modem

i used

- Battery plug (you can get from radio shack) or at ebay link

- 2700mAH Sanyo rechargeable battery (1.2V x 8) = 9.6V

- 8 battery adaptor i used my helicopter Remote control :) :) :)

i think it only cost $3 max :) :)

Badass Malboro! Well done!

telot

haha, thanks bud, saved me from potentially killing my gear :) I guess i will have to try and repair my battery pack :(

can i ask where you got your usb to barrel connector from? i guess mine might be a crap cheap one?

I hacked mine lol. I detailed some instructions in another post I cant find right now as im on my phone. Basically just cut one end off a usb cable and splice the red and black to the barrel positive and negative.

telot

Hi everyone

I saw in tech specs of the AP51 that it supports PoE (Power over Ethernet) and was wondering if anyone has tried that route yet? I saw a PoE adapter made by Alfa for $24.99 Link and would this be the right thing to get for this device? and would there be a way to get this to power off of my laptop's ethernet port or do laptop ethernet ports not support pins 4,5 and 7,8 for power and return? Just thought it would be smart to power and use the pineapple off of one port and use what alfa gave us.

Thanks

Pacmandu

Edited by Pacmandu

Hi everyone

I saw in tech specs of the AP51 that it supports PoE (Power over Ethernet) and was wondering if anyone has tried that route yet? I saw a PoE adapter made by Alfa for $24.99 Link and would this be the right thing to get for this device? and would there be a way to get this to power off of my laptop's ethernet port or do laptop ethernet ports not support pins 4,5 and 7,8 for power and return? Just thought it would be smart to power and use the pineapple off of one port and use what alfa gave us.

Thanks

Pacmandu

I don't have the answer to this but it does sound rather cool! I'd like to exploit that feature.

I hacked mine lol. I detailed some instructions in another post I cant find right now as im on my phone. Basically just cut one end off a usb cable and splice the red and black to the barrel positive and negative.

telot

Hmmm strange thats exactly what i have here which i actually purchased its x1 usb one end and 5.5mm barrel the other side, it does appear to power the device (all the lights come on) but i can never ping it or anything like i can on other power sources...

There is another thread with all this info, but I can confirm the one I purchased through Amazon works flawlessly.

Search Amazon for USB2TYPEM, and get the one by StarTec. Perfect fit and function.

There is another thread with all this info, but I can confirm the one I purchased through Amazon works flawlessly.

Search Amazon for USB2TYPEM, and get the one by StarTec. Perfect fit and function.

thanks for this info!

can you comfirm i found the right one? http://www.amazon.co.uk/StarTech-feet-Barrel-Power-Cable/dp/B003MQO96U/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1325757480&sr=8-1

looks alot better quality then the one i got

Hi everyone

Thanks

Pacmandu

POE is extremely simple. Way more simple than people make it out to be imho. Laptops do not support power over 4,5 and 7,8 - however it'd be real simple to wire in the 5v from your USB port into a ethernet cable and have that bring power down to your pineapple. I power mine with a hacked USB cable - this solution just removes that extra cable from the situation. This solution would be particularly effective if you wanted to have your pineapple very very far away from the computer you're sniffing with. I just may build one of these cables this afternoon. If I do, I'll certainly post pics/tutorial :)

Here is a great guide on getting started with POE.

http://tuxgraphics.org/electronics/200903/hobby-poe.shtml

telot

I just may build one of these cables this afternoon. If I do, I'll certainly post pics/tutorial

Sounds good to me, look forward to seeing it. I love seeing other peoples hacks :)

thanks for this info!

can you comfirm i found the right one? http://www.amazon.co.uk/StarTech-feet-Barrel-Power-Cable/dp/B003MQO96U/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1325757480&sr=8-1

looks alot better quality then the one i got

That is exactly the right one! I am really impressed with the quality and fit on these, perfect for the MK3. The price went up since my last purchase of these prior to Christmas, bit still great quality and a deal at that price. Funny coincidence, the other 2 I ordered arrived today!

Has anybody already measured the power consumption of the AP51?

I know that the Fon 2100 needs approx 750mA while operating, which is clearly more which is mentioned in the USB Spec (500mA).

I know most boards deliver a higher current (else most of the 2.5" HDD's wouldn't work external), but i would prefer using an cable with two USB Jacks, so you could use 1000mA for sure.

Not that you damage your board or wonder why the Pineapple is not working stable.

That is exactly the right one! I am really impressed with the quality and fit on these, perfect for the MK3. The price went up since my last purchase of these prior to Christmas, bit still great quality and a deal at that price. Funny coincidence, the other 2 I ordered arrived today!

ordered thanks for the heads up! i really appreciate it!

Has anybody already measured the power consumption of the AP51?

I know that the Fon 2100 needs approx 750mA while operating, which is clearly more which is mentioned in the USB Spec (500mA).

I know most boards deliver a higher current (else most of the 2.5" HDD's wouldn't work external), but i would prefer using an cable with two USB Jacks, so you could use 1000mA for sure.

Not that you damage your board or wonder why the Pineapple is not working stable.

That's a good question. I haven't confirmed the power consumption under any circumstances (under load or just turned on).

I can say however that I've put the device (Alfa AP51) under load for an extended period of time while powering it on USB (using the cable I'd identified above) and it hasn't given me any issues...none that I'm aware of anyhow. No unexplained shutdowns, etc.

No worries, glad I could assist brother!

I'm happy to confirm this USB cable DOES power the pineapple flawlessly! no problems what so ever! very happy!