Users of the Zune violate the Create Commons License!

Sparda

I know this is stright off slashdot, but I thought it was some thing worth brining to peoples atention.

When a user puts unDRM'ed media on to the Zune, the Zune (with out asking) infects the media with DRM. If the media that is DRM'ed happens to have been released under the Create Common license, the user of the Zune violates the Creative Common License. Since this very useful feature cannot be disabled by the user, surly it is not the user that should be held responsible but the manufacturer.

http://www.medialoper.com/hot-topics/music...tion-viral-drm/

No one is ever going to be able to make a decent media player now. Everything has to be crippled by DRM. In this case i'm more inclined to blame the licence holders for content rather than MS. Its impossible to launch a music player without including shitty DRM if you want to sell content for it. Remember the RIAA wants to make ripping your own CD's something they can charge you for. Even Apple has fallen foul of this.

Hopefully some korean or chinese firm will come out with something better.

Oh my god this is so not cool!!

I was totaly going to get a Zune but FUCK THAT SHIT

i'm a huge supporter of CC and if this is proven to be true (at date of release) there's not way in hell i will ever touch a Zune THAT IS SO NOT COOL.... soo much microsoft trying not to be evil! :x :(

This is the most retarded thing that i've heard in a very long time.

I can at least understand putting DRM on music that you download from their music store, there is at least some logic to that. Putting it on CC stuff makes absolutely no sence.

MS doesn't own that content in any way, they have absolutely no right to restrict what you do with it. This is SOOO stupid

I hate MS just that little bit more now

I can totaly see DRMing the music when you're only renting it you know the plans where you gcna get as much as you want as long as you pay the monthly subcription fee but adding DRM to tracks you own is not needed and adding DRM to everything JUST FUCKED UP UNNEEDED AND WORNG

and what about the CC now Microsoft is in violation of the DMCA how much time in jail will they be doing?

Remeber people: The music buisness wants pay-per-play. Everything you consider fair use, ie transfering, backing up, copying to your mp3 player, they see as a feature they should be able to charge for. While MS were complicite in this bullshit, THEY DIDN'T COME UP WITH THE IDEA. If they want to launch the zune as an ipod rival, they need the backing of the record lables. Without it, the product will flop. If Apple removed the DRM from the ipod, the lables would pull out of the itunes store and it would also be a flop. You know the record lables would like to ban any form of music storage that wasn't full of DRM, they just haven't been able to do so yet.

But its still a really shit idea, who ever invented it. Kinda makes the wireless a useless feature. I'm waiting for an asian company to make a bluetooth enabled flashstick with a mp3 player on it.

It's not even that I have NO problem with Microsoft DRMing there player up.. and little to no problem with them DRMing their music.. but adding DRM to everything to touch the player is just not cool and it's going to be M$ doing this because it's going to be DRM'd from the software side of things. And as M$ always says "we are not a hardware company".... damn and i really wanted a zune...

This thread debunked

Zune's digital rights management (DRM) scheme will not add its own DRM to unprotected files, Ars Technica has learned. Trusted sources tell us that Zune's wireless sharing feature, which requires Zune's DRM to function, will only monitor the presence of shared songs for the purposes of controlling playback.

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20060920-7788.html