Anonymizers Do Not Work For My Particular Problem

Tekunda

I have received an indefinite ban from GLP. I used HideIP to watch a youtube video not available in Holland (it worked btw)

But after I closed HideIP I logged on to GLP and received: SORRY - YOUR IP ADDRESS 87.210.91.76 HAS BEEN BANNED FROM VIEWING THIS WEBSITE

I am not technically savvy enough to know what has happened. I did NOT use HideIP to access GLP, but the webmasters would not unban me, although I explained myself.

So thought, ok, you asked for it, now I will use HideIP, but it did not work, nor any of the free Anonymizers I tried. I would still get above message albeit with different IPs cited.

So two questions for the savvy here:

Why is GLP still able to verify my ban, although I use these Annoymizer programs?

Is there a way to circumvent the ban, I have many friends at GLP (GLP will NOT unban me, they want to force me to become a paying member, then the ban is lifted, but this is blackmail!) ?

Thanks in advance and Merry Christmas

Some proxy sites like that identify your IP address in the request as a parameter. So yes you are using a proxy, you can still be identified. You can try Tor Network or SOCKS5 proxies.

In the meantime I have tried several Sock5 proxies and many so called high-anonymous proxies who claim that no Ip adress (not even a parameter) is being transmitted. But GLP still comes back every time with an IP address. Can someone give me the set up parameters of one which is really anonymous, please?

Like Mr. P said not all proxies are anonymous. Try an anonymous one or VPN.

There are also java applets some sites use that can ID a machine by it's MAC address from over the internet.

I am at a loss here. I signed up with Private tunnel an Open VPN provider which promises that Ip addresses will be hidden,

but Ip check still came back with

IP Information: 83.170.73.133

ISP: UK2 - Ltd

Organization: UK2 - Ltd

Connection:

Services: Network Sharing Device

City: London

Region: London, City of

<<This. Try TOR. Was only said twice now but should do the trick.

If that doesn't work, they are tracking you with something like cookies in Flash. Not just browser cookies, but the Adobe Flash Player itself, something clearing your normal browser cache, will not fix. Depending on the OS in use, they are stored in different places, but try deleting them as well if it still doesn't work through TOR. In fact, delete them BEFORE trying TOR or another proxy. Also, spoof your user agent and language, to match the country you want to connect to.

Last resort, purchase a VPN account with a company who has access beyond your veiled garden, or SSH tunnel/Socks proxy your connection off of another web host within the country of the site you are trying to reach.

Edited by digip

You're out of luck if other people use the same proxies for the same service and get the proxy IP addresses b&. The IP addresses you posted are different, so perhaps other people have beat you to the punch.

I have learned quite a lot through this thread, so even if I will end up being out of luck it is always nice to have learned something.

I will install another OS as a dual boot system and before I will give it a shot I will change my MAC address on my LAN connection. The wireless network adapter does not offer this option.

Then I hope to find a Sock5 proxie which has not been used before and maybe I get lucky. Once I tried everything I will post if I succeeded.

I am out of luck. A friend came by with a brand new computer, just Win 7 got installed today. I used Thor to log on to godlikeproductions (I assume that the MAC address on his adapter is completely different from mine) but still the ban was confirmed, although it was showing a completely different IP address than mine.

So what does the guys at GLP do that - in spite of Tor, plus different MAC address, plus a computer which has never logged on to GLP before - they know who tries to log on?

Is the DSL modem itself giving away a code?

I would guess you keep logging in with the same account and keep getting new IPs banned.

I am not that stupid. I do not get even to the log-in page. As soon as I enter the web address I receive this warning page. I have deleted all stored passwords and the Tor browser has never been used to log in. So NO WAY I log in to my old account.

Well, MAC address should have nothing to do with it, since MAC addresses work at layer 2 communication. IP addresses are Layer 3, which is what the site would see, not your MAC address. If your friend tried from your home, and they banned the IP used by your ISP (Or the ISP in general, as showing from your country or place of origin they block) then he too would be blocked based on having the same IP as you(internal LAN address is not the same IP on the outside of your network).

They may also check for TOR exit nodes,by which they could block them as well. At this point, a VPN in country of Origin that is aloud to access this site, would probably be the best bet, or SSH tunnel over SOCKS proxy to some host outside your country.

By the way, what is GLP?

By the way, what is GLP?

GLP is just s stupid conspiracy forum called www.godlikeproductions.com. But aside from conspiracy related threads they have quite a few interesting discussions going on, some you will probably not find anywhere else on the web.

It is not that I will die if I cannot connect to GLP, but I am a rather curious guy always ready to learn on the way. And since web anonymity with all the new legislation like SOPA etc. in the pipeline, anonymous surfing might become a bigger issue in the future. So I am just curious how a forum is still able to block you (or confirm your identity somehow) despite all the precautions and tools used so far.

I have to give kudos to this site though, they know their job so it seems. If they block someone it seems almost impossible to overcome - at least for the "regular" computer person.

It could also be a money making trick on GLP's part, since the ban will be lifted once you become a paying member!

It almost looks like they use the slightest excuse to block a non-paying member to force him to become a paying member. They have an option to ask for being unbanned, but in my case - and I assume in many other cases as well - the ban is upheld without them giving any reason why. Like I wrote, I explained to them in detail what happened - and how I accessed Youtube should not be any of their business.(I used HideIP to watch a film blocked due to copyright laws in my country).

Or did I break an "universal" internet law, that a person who uses HideIP, albeit not on their forum, is nevertheless a not-trustworthy person and deserves a ban?

As I said, I do not care too much about this ban, but knowing a bit about the techology they use to uphold such a strict ban is quite interesting for me.

Edited by Tekunda

BTW, I do not know what to think about Tor.

While using Tor, I received a warning by Google that "unsual"traffic has been detected from my computer. So I fired off an email to Tor if they could explain this warning by Google.

This was the reply:

"We publish the list of all the relays in the Tor network (see

http://torstatus.blutmagie.de/ for an example), so that anyone who wants to can

figure out who's using Tor to visit their website".

Isn't that contraproductive to the idea of safe, anonymous browsing? Maybe you cannot be detected, but you definately can be blocked, since your ISP or the site you visit can detect that you use Tor and want to hide your identity.

BTW, I do not know what to think about Tor.

While using Tor, I received a warning by Google that "unsual"traffic has been detected from my computer. So I fired off an email to Tor if they could explain this warning by Google.

This was the reply:

"We publish the list of all the relays in the Tor network (see

http://torstatus.blutmagie.de/ for an example), so that anyone who wants to can

figure out who's using Tor to visit their website".

Isn't that contraproductive to the idea of safe, anonymous browsing? Maybe you cannot be detected, but you definately can be blocked, since your ISP or the site you visit can detect that you use Tor and want to hide your identity.

I share the same thought and option as you. In the end, nothing is really safe or anonymous.