Bootable Usb To Quickly Erase Drives

BigD

Howdy!

I'm looking to see if one of these already exists, or can be easily built. I'm looking to make a bootable USB key, that when booted from, will immediately erase all the drives connected to the machine (except itself). It can be done via simple "quick format", or a regular format. It is not necessary to make the data non-recoverable, just need to make sure the drives look empty.

It is important that there be NO user interaction. Simply insert the key, have the BIOS boot to it, it erases the drives, then reboots the machine.

DBAN is probably what you want. I don't think its automated, you still have to tell it to delete the detected drives, but might be a way to script it. I've not used it, but give it a google.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Darik's_Boot_and_Nuke.png

Edited by digip

Yes, I am aware of DBAN....and all the other tools that are able to do it. But I wonder if there is a specific hacktool that can do it.

I fail to see the difference? Hacktool vs legit tool?? Is a tool that does what you ask it to do a hacktool or a tool?? If you like the functionality of DBAN, figure out a way to autmoate it. Hell, load DamnSmallLinux to boot and write a script to search, mount, and then DD all drives except the one you are on.

I fail to see the difference? Hacktool vs legit tool?? Is a tool that does what you ask it to do a hacktool or a tool?? If you like the functionality of DBAN, figure out a way to autmoate it. Hell, load DamnSmallLinux to boot and write a script to search, mount, and then DD all drives except the one you are on.

Thanks. I didnt see anything like this online, so I emailed their support. It does have that "autonuke" command, I just need a way to automate it. But DBAN is kinda overkill, since I just need it simple formatted.

Just curious, why do you need to quickly reformat a drive if your not going to completely nuke it? Even if you create some script or find some program that auto reformats all connected drives upon mounting, anyone could come in with some file recovery software and pull most of it right back. Autonuke from Dban might be your best bet.

Its more of a "meanness" program than one that does anything of use. One minute your PC is fine, next minute it doesn't boot. I don't care if they are able to recover data.

So basically you want to F someone over, who's not computer savvy, by "damaging" their computer?

Thats what it sounds like. Fucking with someone else's computer in this manner is just lame in itself though.

• 2 weeks later...

I just wanted to add my comment for someone who may be looking for something similar that isn't a douche trying to harm those who don't know any better.

Using something like Truecrypt, you could encrypt your whole drive. In this manner, if they are ever removed all you would have is an unmountable drive asking to be formatted.

Or you can apply some security through obscurity and install a hidden OS with nothing but the OS. Therefore if you're ever asked to give up the "password" you'll be able to give up a password that only unlocks said hidden OS and still have plausible deniability.

So essentially, you dont need a flash drive that wipes the drive, but a drive that doesn't function without the proper password. Different approach, same results.

Just zero out the MBR. Only takes 512 bytes and can easily be restored after you make nice with your current nemesis.

dd if=/dev/zero bs=512 count=1 of=/dev/sda

To fix, boot Windows disc and use FIXMBR. The rest of the data on the drive will be fine and the partitions can still be mounted and accessed if necessary.

Yeah that just grounds to get your ass kicked. Wanna piss them off do something less destructive like pop open their CD ROM every 15 seconds. Or launch notepad every 10 seconds don't fuck up their system.

I'm ok with him getting his ass kicked lol

If you want to protect your information from someone stealing it, disk encryption is what you need.

Use TrueCrypt and choose a very complex password, so no one can guess it easily.

Apart from Dban there is also BCWipe, In itself its pretty much automated but the only thing you have to do is press the "Enter" key to kick off the wiping process.