Computer fubard v. not turning on

kYd

If you've built it in its case clear a space on a large, clean, & non-conductive flat surface, take everything out of the case and build it on the work surface. At this point remove all the HD's, optical drives and any addtional PCI cards. Connect the psu, mouse & keyboard, vga and the case speaker. Using the jumper switch trick, power it up.

If it won't get to POST with just the motherboard (it should boot, post and then bitch about having no OS) then its either you RAM or your CPU (2 motherboards with the same problem... unlikely). If you have 2 sticks of ram, try swapping them into different sockets, or using them on there own. If that fails, either find someone with compatible stuff, so you can try swapping bits over to find the fault. Or find a local computer shop that would be whilling to test, or let you test your CPU and RAM. Should be a half hour job at most.

Unless someone has a super-cool idea about fixing this, my money is on something important dieing. Might have to consider a new mobo/cpu/ram bundle at this stage.

Might be, propbally worth doing some googling and playing with those before you consider more expenditure. Not that up on AMD & overclocking (i'm an intel guy), but regarding the FSB speed you should be able to underclock it with no problems.

edit:

Looking back at your pictures, the CPU fan was awfully clogged with dust. And I know that heat was an issue with some AMD kit.

Nope... when your powering it up with a jumper do you leave it on? Because once its powered up you need to remove the jumper. Try using a screw driver to bridge the power on pins instead of a jumper. You only need to touch it on the pins. Also, try testing both PSU's, and make sure you have all the mobo power points set up (my P4 mobo needs 3 power connections to boot, no idea if this applys to AMD).

If it still does the same, i'm offically stumped. It looks like either the ram or the cpu is dead. But i'm by no means sure of this, so your best plan is to take the mobo/cpu/ram bundle to a computer store, explain exactly the issue, and ask them if they will test the cpu & ram in another box/mobo.

If it is fucked, make sure its covered by home and contents insurance, and then see that its stolen. Risky i know, but in the UK this does work (cops can't be arsed to invesitage so they just give you a crime number for insurance and ignore you).

Check to see if your motherboard and cpu are 100% happy with each other. May be a case that your new mobo doesn't support your chip. But at this stage i'm thinking that somehow the magic smoke got let out of your cpu. Again, sorry mate.

Glad you got it going :D

I dunno why I didn't mention, I guess I was hadn't payed much attention but if anyone else gets this problem check, double check and triple check your RAM, IDE cables and expansion cards are properly seated, you never know what can happen if they're not, I've seen computers behave oddly because of seemingly fine kit installed correctly but it's turned out that maybe the contacts weren't completely connecting or whatever...

Reinstalling your CPU is probably further than you need to go usually but again, glad it seemed helped in this case :)

Talking of cases, I've seem computers not boot correctly when installed in certain cases too so if all else fails try the computer without it's case :)

Hmmm... will the bios not see any of them? Will it see ANY drive? Have you done an auto detect? Have you got the jumpers set to the right master/slave settings? Have you tried each device on its own? Have you tried swapping the cables out? Try resetting the cmos (with the jumper) and starting again. Something really is not right with that hardware imo.