Computer fubard v. not turning on

kYd

Hey last week my mom tried turning on the computer and it just wouldn't, the blue LED lights on the front panel (where the on switch is) just flashes for a split second. I tried putting an old AT power supply in I know it doesn't have a connection for the motherboard but just tried plugging the fan in and the fan worked, so I persumed it was the power supply. I just ordered a new one from eBay, connected it all up and nothing, still doesn't power on. The LED on switch light stays blue and when I push it the LED lights around the front just flashes for a split second.

Any ideas? Could it be the motherboard or the connections to the on switch?

Thanks

edit: Can you check if it's all connected right, I think it is but am out of ideas

http://upshizzle.com/gallery/albums/upload...06/P1010019.JPG

http://upshizzle.com/gallery/albums/upload...06/P1010020.JPG

http://upshizzle.com/gallery/albums/upload...06/P1010021.JPG

Front case

http://upshizzle.com/gallery/albums/upload...06/P1010023.JPG

Try using screw driver head in place of the on/off switch (just bridge it for a few seconds, it should power up). If that doesn't work, take the whole thing apart, and put it back together again, something might have come loose. If that doesn't work, looks like your mobo is shot.

Check on the mobo, one of the wires will go to the on/off switch (should be labled on the mobo, if not go to the vendors website and look for the manual). Once you've found it, pull the cable, get something metal and conductive (screwdriver or whatever) and use it to bridge the 2 pins. A jumper works, but you have to remove once the fans kick in otherwise it will shut down again.

If the fans spin up, its worked, if it won't stay on, strip it all out and test the mobo outside the case. If you can't get it to power on, looks like the mobo is dead.

Ok I found the wire that goes from the on off switch to the mobo but I see no way of bridging them because they seem to be soldered onto the pins on the switch

heres the pins going to the swtich http://upshizzle.com/gallery/albums/upload...6/1P1010013.JPG

and where is connects to the mobo http://upshizzle.com/gallery/albums/upload...6/1P1010015.JPG

Thanks

What in the fuck!? Its soldered into the damn board? Never seen that janky shit before... not in 15 years of playing with computers. Are you sure thats the right powerswitch?

Any chance of a less blurred photo (get a couple of desklamps to light it up, should let your camera use a better shutter speed and remove the blur).

(Sorry lol just got locked out my house) any way they don't seem to be soldered but I'm pulling on them and they just arn't coming out

Oh and I didn't mean soldered onto the mobo I meant onto the switch box thing.

This is the only decent pic I can get...Crap cam for you

http://upshizzle.com/gallery/albums/upload...6/2P1010012.JPG

You need to remove it from the motherboard, not the switch on the front. Should just be something like a long jumper with wires coming out the top. Should just pull off the pins gentley. Its those 2 pins you want to bridge on the motherboard. If there soldered onto the board, this is new territory for me.

Best thing to try is taking the motherboard and PSU out of the case, connect it up again (on your desk) and try bridging the power pins. Don't need any drives at this point.

Take out the PSU. Notice the green wire in the big connector that you plug onto the Mobo. Attach the PS to the wall socket, switch it on, and then bridge the point where the green cable ends with any one of the points where a black cable ends (insert a small piece of *insulated* wire in the hole in the connector for the green wire, and the other end in the hole for any of the black one).

If the fan in the power supply doesn't turn on (make sure the switch at the back of the PSU is in the ON position), it simply means the power supply is dead, which is a quick fix.

If the fan does spin up, take out the wire (PSU should turn off again), attach your harddisk, re-attach the wire and see if the harddisk spins up. If it doesn't, your harddisk is dead.

No but be careful you don't short anything, make sure only the green wire and a black wire is connected...

Edit: Do it BEFORE you plug the PSU in at the mains in case anything does touch where it shouldn't...

Works great though, I just did it to power my camcorder from an old PSU :)

Yeah I've used ATX PSUs as bench supplies for a while... basically:

Yellow wires = 12v

Red wires = 5v

Black wires = Ground

Green wire = Power On

This is basically what you need to know to be able to play with power supplies... you can do cool stuff like instead of powering a device off of say, a 5v wire and a ground which would give you 5v you could use a 12v wire and a 5v wire... this will give you +7v if you make sure the 5v wire is used where ground would be...

I tried that with my camera and the juice the camera tried to suck was too high for that trick but I now have it running from the 12v rail with a small wire bridging the green wire to a black one to turn the PSU on... All this is done without modifying the PSU in any way so I could use this in a computer again if I needed to.

You asked how it was connected though, basically the camera's power brick was dead and it's the kind you slide/clip on the back end of the camera... I ripped the insides out of this and attatched wires to the contacts that supply power to the camera and then used the other end of those wires (which now come out of the power brick where the mains lead used to) to a yellow and a black wire on the PSU... I could make it look better by heatshrinking the wirse coming out of the power brick and adding a real male molex connector to them but it works as is and I'll probably need to mess around with it anyways so most things I tend to keep temporary :)

Ok so I'm going to get a new mobo off eBay, but I'm unsure as to what socket type I need to fit my current CPU. It's a AMD Athlon 2.2Ghz (old I know; parent comp). I can't find any of the manuals so am not which socket type (A, 754, 939 etc :? )

Any way of telling by looking at the CPU?

My mobo is Elitegroup ECS K7VMM+

Cheers :)

My mobo is Elitegroup ECS K7VMM+

I have one of those. Or had, I should say. The chipset died in a rather nasty way. Started to slowly corrupt stuff as it went past it. I wouldn't touch one of those again even with a long stick, unless it involves the stick smashing the board to a pulp.

Anyways, according to this website all Athlon XPs are Socket A (Socket 462).