AMD is gonna eat it!

Garda

http://www.tomshardware.com/2006/09/10/fou...on_the_rampage/

tomshardware confirms it. While the core 2 duo is superiour to the best AMD chip on the market, the FX-62, the core 2 quadro is going to blow AMD away even further. What does the future hold for these guys. Hopefully they're going to be able to figure something out, otherwise they're gonna get blown away. I have percieved that many of the PC manufacturers and retailers are selling fewer and fewer AMD based computers.

That's my opinion anyway, what do you guys think.

Its just that Intel now has a better CPU, before that AMD did, then Intel did and then AMD did.

PC manufacturers won't sell less AMD CPUs because the average consumer doesn't know anything about the difference, and now that AMD have slashed their prices so their CPUs are in performace+price line with the Intel ones, for all but the people who spend £1000's on a new system AMD is still in my opinion a better platform.

AMD have 4x4 coming out to bridge the gap until their 4-core CPU, then theirs a revision to the current architecture possibly coming out with AM3 which will support DDR3.

The more interesting stuff will happen in 2/3 years when the AMD+ATi ideas kick in, hopefully with GPU on the CPU die. I think Intel are the ones that are and should be worrying. Their already rushing their 4-core CPU and brought it forward 6 months.

Its a battle that will never be won. Oneside gets ahead, and rests on its laurels, then the other company jumps them. Happend to Intel with the P4/Itanium debacle, and now its happening to AMD. Intel has a huge R&D team, and it does look like the whole Core platform is a giant multi-billion dolar fuck-you to the AMD guys.

Intel are winning right now because the Core archtechture is simply far better than anything AMD can bring to the table. Personally I don't think AMD will have a competing archtechture with the Intel lineup until late 2007. Until then there just rejigging what they already have.

Problem is there are a million fanbois on both sides (especially the AMD side) that will scream about how the otherside is shit with no real technical argument, just some half remebered out of date crap. They seem to forget that when you have 2 companys like that fighting, usually the consumer wins. Brand loyalty is a waste of time. Buy the best solution for your needs.

Personally, I like Intel. Never had a duff system from them. AMD has been a mixed bag, I have a couple of systems that lasted forever (and totally rock, still), and another pile of dead/less than 100% AMD kit

Intel has a huge R&D team, and it does look like the whole Core platform is a giant multi-billion dolar fuck-you to the AMD guys.

LoL

They seem to forget that when you have 2 companys like that fighting, usually the consumer wins. Brand loyalty is a waste of time. Buy the best solution for your needs.

That IS the best part of all this.

Yup, then Intel can kick it all over again! As long as both companys feel the need for massive price cuts everynow and again, i'm happy. Maybe a 3rd company could help even things out a bit.

One thing I do wonder is how much more life is left in x86... sure its been upgraded and enhanced, but how much longer before its easiyer to emulate the whole thing transparently on a new archtechture. I know Intel kinda tried that on itanium, but it was the wrong time and the wrong market.

I'm still mighty weary of the interconnect they're using to tie the CPUs together. They kicked the speed up a notch there, but it's still a shared bus which should prove troublesome with certain types of load.

Also, who but the most spoiled game freaks buys such a beast to play _games_ on it? They chose some really shitty benchmarks to prove that this CPU is indeed faster. The only tests where the additional cores can really flex their muscles are the media encoding and rendering tests. People who (have people on the payroll that) need to do that for a living WILL spend the money and eat the energy bill to get that added performance.

I can't help but see this as a server or professional workstation CPU. They should've tested it as such. (Which, I might add, should also involve using a _real_ motherboard)

There's no doubt in my mind that Intel has the better CPU right now, and this quadro thing actually came rather unexpectedly for me as I figured AMD would've been there first (maybe I missed something). Unlike VaKo I never had any CPU die on my yet. Neither AMD nor Intel. So I can't really state anything on that point. But indeed, in the end the customer (don't say 'consumer'. That's a user rather than an owner) wins, which is something we're all probably quite happy with.

Its sad to say it but it is looking to be true. In the past 2 weeks weve had intel reps coming in left and right to give us product overviews and training. I havnt heard from a single amd rep, and it looks as though this quarter that intel will definitely have the superior processor. It is going to be interesting to see what amd can come up with.