Do you use a proxy to access these forums?

VaKo

Do you use a proxy to access this site, and the forums?  

84 members have voted

1. 1.

• Yes
    • No

Basically I'm trying to work out a plan for dealing with spam. Proxys are a small part of this, so I need to gauge the legitimate need for useage of proxys here. If it turns out a lot of people use them for whatever reason, then we'd have to shelf the idea for the foreseable future. If your thinking spam isn't an issue here, then Cooper's and my efforts are working :-)

So please, if your reading this, vote and vote honestly. It takes seconds and the results either way are important.

if its a bot that is doing the spaming then i would guess they do use proxy's. You should make note of every ip that is used in spam, and then track that ip to see if it is a proxy or not. If the spam is done from the use of a bot, then really all you need to do to stop it is add and image thingy that you have to enter before it will post, kind of like the registration, but if the spam is done by hand, then its going to be hard to code something to stop it.

I don't think spam is too big a deal. Yea sure it's annoying and it comes up every so often but it's not something to cry about ...yet

Your not the one making sure it doesn't get to be a problem, but in a way your right. Its not a huge problem. Yet. Yeah, it may seem like i'm a winging ninny, but its an issue.

if its a bot that is doing the spaming then i would guess they do use proxy's. You should make note of every ip that is used in spam, and then track that ip to see if it is a proxy or not. If the spam is done from the use of a bot, then really all you need to do to stop it is add and image thingy that you have to enter before it will post, kind of like the registration, but if the spam is done by hand, then its going to be hard to code something to stop it.

We have 2 theorys so far.

A: Its bots. Which i know can be done because I've tested my own bots on this forum and the current sercurity measures don't stop them. The can waltz in, register and post without any human interaction.

B: Its humans registering accounts and passing on the details to bots. Not much about this we can do, but if we can remove the bots, its half the issue delt with.

At the moment I can only track spammers IP's from what they post, we don't have registration IP's. And given that 99% of there accounts are removed before they can post, we can't get IP's from them.

I don't think the Spam is too much of a problem and your doing an excellent job VaKo (and Cooper).

I don't think blocking proxies will help that much though, there are hundreds of proxies out their and to be effective then you would need to block all of them.

I love it. the teachers are much much better than they were at my old school, the kids here are all really smart and there is always something cool to do. I can't imagine having to stay at my old school.

it is government run, so its practially free, and they give $5000 for a research project i'll do at a a uni or industry research lab this summer, and its a great way to go to college for free, so i'm so happy to be here.