3D KDE

uber_tom

They do look very cool, but I've always thought the way current displays were set up was to simplify them for the human mind, as they find it hard to concentrate on two things happening at once, or taking in the fact that multiple things are happening, even if you want to concentrate on one.

Is it not just a memory expensive way to change workspace. I used a version on Gnome for a while but only found it useful for showing off something that windows cant do (I don think anyway).

you're probably right, although i havent noticed any slowdowns, it took alot of workarounds to get my opengl games to run.

although now i've got them working, they don't run any slower.

Is it not just a memory expensive way to change workspace. I used a version on Gnome for a while but only found it useful for showing off something that windows cant do (I dont think anyway).

you're probably right, although i havent noticed any slowdowns, it took alot of workarounds to get my opengl games to run.

although now i've got them working, they don't run any slower.

Your computer is probably better than my then, I couldn't even get my music to play.

The problem I have with that sort of stuff is that even though it looks really sweet, I can't imagine it being even remotely useful for day-to-day work.

It's something you brag with (Can your OS do *THIS*?? Hunh? Hunh? Can't, can it? Your OS *SUCKS*!) and then turn off when you need to get something done.

The problem I have with that sort of stuff is that even though it looks really sweet, I can't imagine it being even remotely useful for day-to-day work.

It's something you brag with (Can your OS do *THIS*?? Hunh? Hunh? Can't, can it? Your OS *SUCKS*!) and then turn off when you need to get something done.

Isnt that the point of having something like this though, or the ability to theme the login manager :D I spent about two hours making my own theme for the login manager, and no one will ever see it as i dont leave my comp setting at the login screen, and the only time i ever see it is when im login. But at least i can theme it (can your OS do that? Hunh? Hunh? can it?)

(can your OS do that? Hunh? Hunh? can it?)

yup ;)

(Windows XP's logon screen can be themed with a little practice and I'm using Windows 2003 and though it uses the classic login style found in Windows 2000 it's still possible to customise it nicely ;))

you could probably manage to make the XP user selection screen look like something else but unless you use tools to skin the logon box or Windowsw 2000/2003 you can't do a great deal... it's possible, you can change the wallpaper (IIRC), you can change the banner of the actual logon box, change color schemes and as I mentioned with 3rd party apps you might be able to skin the window to look like it's not a Windows ... err ... window ... :p

Nah, its cool to show off with, but totally annoying if your trying to do anything. Maybe its the way it defaults to, but I found the whole compiz expirence bloody annoying. All the effects where over the top, with no subtlty, and generally got in the way. I liked the windows transparency when you move a window and the minimize effect was ok. The wobberly windows sucked ass.

When it comes to modding windows, you can totally alter they way any of it looks. Thats why I'm running a custom theme, a custom login screen, custom banner graphics, custom icons etc. Over the years I've run it looking like a alienware windows theme (large amounts of pointless brightly colored graphics), a minimalist line art theme, a 100% copy of OSX (with finder, the top contextual menu bar and a dock), a copy of Vista and a vastly modernized version of the default windows theme (HmmXP + XPize). If you do a bit of a dig about the net (neowins forums are a good place to start) its easy to make windows look anyway you want it to.