Wifi Pineapple Mark Iii Issues

Hey all

First off, hats off to hak5 for there speedy shipping to the UK with my Pineapple! Also thanks for the hak 5 stickers too! :D My netbook loved them.

Anyway I got it all hooked up and read abit of the manual, ran wp3.sh left everything standard and then once complete i logged into the (awesome) bbs style control center!

Then i had to nip out and do something so i unplugged it and did what i needed to do. Came back this evening to begin more tinkering and now i cannot seem to access the control panel? I can ping the pineapple on its default IP but no joy with the control panel???

I've tried getting DHCP no joy! Tried a static IP, no joy also! I've noticed the LAN/WAN light is going on and off alot too??

EDIT: Ok Scratch that things are getting abit worse now haha... It's not even recieving pings now and when i try to connect to it via eth0 the network manager shows constant disconnects? i can connect it and about 3 seconds after it will always disconnect me?

Any ideas??

Edited by rotunda

Hey all

First off, hats off to hak5 for there speedy shipping to the UK with my Pineapple! Also thanks for the hak 5 stickers too! :D My netbook loved them.

Anyway I got it all hooked up and read abit of the manual, ran wp3.sh left everything standard and then once complete i logged into the (awesome) bbs style control center!

Then i had to nip out and do something so i unplugged it and did what i needed to do. Came back this evening to begin more tinkering and now i cannot seem to access the control panel? I can ping the pineapple on its default IP but no joy with the control panel???

I've tried getting DHCP no joy! Tried a static IP, no joy also! I've noticed the LAN/WAN light is going on and off alot too??

EDIT: Ok Scratch that things are getting abit worse now haha... It's not even recieving pings now and when i try to connect to it via eth0 the network manager shows constant disconnects? i can connect it and about 3 seconds after it will always disconnect me?

Any ideas??

Ya, this seems to a standard occurence. I just had to keep pounding on it until it started to work somewhat. What OS are you using?

Ya, this seems to a standard occurence. I just had to keep pounding on it until it started to work somewhat. What OS are you using?

That kinda sucks then...! I only got it today and it's been switched on once.... <_< :huh:

I'm running back track 5 R1

Things I've done so far:

I've checked the ethernet cable, stable

I've tried logging onto the pineapple with a static IP which allows me to connect to it for about 3 - 15 seconds before i get chucked off again

Running DHCP = no connection AT ALL!

This sucks... :(

Edit:

For both of you, I recommend you both flash my latest firmware.

It includes a few updates and fixes this issue.

Best,

Sebkinne

I was worried you would say that... Flashing isn't my strong point and I'm hearing alot of storys about bricking :(

Is it hard to flash the pineapple? I really don't want to risk bricking it...

How can i flash it without being able to connect to it?

Edited by rotunda

Flashing the pineapple is actually very simple. Just follow the guide I posted.

Bricking your router is actually quite hard to do, but it CAN happen.

Flashing it without being able to connect to it is simple:

When your router boots up, you have about 1-2 seconds to get into the bootloader. That has a different "fixed" IP.

After that, the router boots up into the operating system, which in your case seems broken.

Flashing shouldn't be as scary as it is made out to be, just know that if something does go wrong, we aren't responsible.

I re-flashed my pineapple about 20 times today, sometimes with a totally corrupted image (loss of sleep made me mess the image up).

I have bricked one router so far. That was because I flashed a different bootloader. Flashing the OS and Kernel is not nearly as dangerous.

Best,

Sebkinne

Flashing the pineapple is actually very simple. Just follow the guide I posted.

Bricking your router is actually quite hard to do, but it CAN happen.

Flashing it without being able to connect to it is simple:

When your router boots up, you have about 1-2 seconds to get into the bootloader. That has a different "fixed" IP.

After that, the router boots up into the operating system, which in your case seems broken.

Flashing shouldn't be as scary as it is made out to be, just know that if something does go wrong, we aren't responsible.

I re-flashed my pineapple about 20 times today, sometimes with a totally corrupted image (loss of sleep made me mess the image up).

I have bricked one router so far. That was because I flashed a different bootloader. Flashing the OS and Kernel is not nearly as dangerous.

Best,

Sebkinne

Thats good to know i wasn't aware it had a little boot loader before the actual OS... i can see what you mean byt bricking it being pretty hard to do.

I can now for some reason ping the unit and its not disconnecting me at all but it still wont let me into the control panel.

I guess it is borked... shame if i knew this before i could of just bought a AP51 and flashed it myself like i'm clearly going to have to do anyway... awesome...

you are lucky you have one. the AP51 seems to be a hard item to find lately.

Indeed! they stopped making them didn't they?

I love Alfa hardware! :D

So sorry that you ran into that issue. Seems there was a small batch of pineapples that went out with borked bits. If you're confident flashing, Seb's 1.9 firmware is solid. Otherwise contact shop@hak5.org and we'll make things right. I'll be writing up a guide shortly to spell out the simple flashing process step by step.

So sorry that you ran into that issue. Seems there was a small batch of pineapples that went out with borked bits. If you're confident flashing, Seb's 1.9 firmware is solid. Otherwise contact shop@hak5.org and we'll make things right. I'll be writing up a guide shortly to spell out the simple flashing process step by step.

Hey Darren!

Thanks for your reply. Don't worry these things happen I guess. I have sent you an email @ the hak shop to see what solutions you may have.

Thanks again bud :)

p.s. Seb, good work on the firmware! B)

EDIT: Quick update from me, some how the pineapple has jumped back to life after resetting the device via the botton on the back. I've been able to ping it and access the control panel now which is great news! It's running version 1.0.2 of the OS are there any updates that i should give it?

Thanks for the help guys! Hopefully it will remain stable now :lol:

Edited by rotunda