50w Wi-fi Booster

flame

hello does anyone know how to build a 50w wi-fi signal booster. something were it would go between the usb wi-fi pen and the antenna. i know you can buy then for about 500 but i would like to make a diy one hoping to keep the cost down. can anyone point me to any tutorials are does anyone know how to make one. thanks :rolleyes:

50 watt power input or output. There is a difference. I'm not an electrical engineer, but that doesn't sound like something I want to be standing near when its on, either. There is a reason that wifi devices have specific wattage and frequencies they are aloud to work in. Its called safety.

If you've ever had an old police scanner or even a hand radio with a broken antenna, and held it for a while when on, you know why its important not to "cook" yourself with wireless devices. Know what you are doing before experimenting with something you could hurt yourself with.

Edited by digip

50 Watts?No...it is not a good idea on the microwave spectrum!

First You will face big problems if you try to home-made it,teflon PCB is a must....

shielding is difficult,switching even more.

And you will have to use INFLEX cable to connect the PA to the antenna.

Very unconfortable cable...to pass outside of the house.

And You need an Ham licence.

Connected to a proper parabolic antenna,we used to test for EME communications.

...1 Watt with a modified tv parabolic antenna,

will give a boost enough for your tests.

Working on high gain antennas is the right way to go.

50 Watts?No...it is not a good idea on the microwave spectrum!

First You will face big problems if you try to home-made it,teflon PCB is a must....

shielding is difficult,switching even more.

And you will have to use INFLEX cable to connect the PA to the antenna.

Very unconfortable cable...to pass outside of the house.

And You need an Ham licence.

Connected to a proper parabolic antenna,we used to test for EME communications.

...1 Watt with a modified tv parabolic antenna,

will give a boost enough for your tests.

Working on high gain antennas is the right way to go.

thx for all your replies.

so how could i make a 1 watt booster then as 50 might of been ott lol

• 2 weeks later...

Buy an Alfa Card...power from 1 to 2 watts...

Take care about chipset...realtek rtl 8187l is a very good one.

ok does anyone know of a home tut on how to make your own 5w booster. as i already have a usb wireless device with an external Arial, like before i would like to make one and place it between the device and Arial. any help would be good thx. i know you can buy them but i would like to make one as it will probs be much cheaper lol.

• 1 month later...

http://www.dealextreme.com/p/2-4ghz-2000mw-802-11b-g-n-sma-tnc-wi-fi-amplifier-booster-44104

http://www.dealextreme.com/p/2-4ghz-16dbi-sma-omni-high-gain-antenna-with-stand-for-wifi-wireless-network-2400-2500mhz-44410

I know, I know, it's not so much DIY, but it seems to be the only thing I've run across that matches the functionality OP says he needs. Awesome though that sounds do understand that if you're not careful, or just not living in BFE, that amp plus a high gain antenna and you may well be on your way to a nasty letter from the FCC, which seems to be the intent of the OP? If you're not concerned about the FCC slapping you with a felony for accidentally jamming someone else's space, or just operating outside of Part 15 rules, your next question is how hot is your adapter/router/ap/amp going to get trying to push that much power out.

Just my two cents ...

Doesn't matter how many watts your radio outputs, a 2W amp with a 1W radio attached will only output 2W.

In Europe 2.4GHz is limited by ETSI regulations to 100mW EIRP, unless you're in France, they only get 5mW EIRP.

The above amp and antenna combination will have an EIRP of around 79W, 79621mW, so it will be just a little over the limit... :lol:

The FCC says 1W EIRP for omni's and 4W EIRP for point to point here in the US.

• 1 month later...

I Would suggest like all the others a nice directional antenna . If you must i make 2.4 boostes for rc applications. I could not see why this set up would not work.

and how much do you make them 4

• 1 month later...

hello does anyone know how to build a 50w wi-fi signal booster. something were it would go between the usb wi-fi pen and the antenna. i know you can buy then for about 500 but i would like to make a diy one hoping to keep the cost down. can anyone point me to any tutorials are does anyone know how to make one. thanks :rolleyes:

Bro, 50W in the 2.4G 13cm will either hurt you or the transmitter will blow with all the impedance coming back from the antenna. Hell 5w is even too much (take out 9blocks if not more with interferance)

Get a Ham Lic. before transmitting or braking FCC parts (besides there is no reason ppl in this field dont get one anyway. (dont be a CBer and put seatwarmers (high watt amps to boost you sig.) just lean how to better make antennas. otherwise you may blead to other freqs

i think anything over 1W 1000mW is illegal anyway with out a lic. (alphas i believe is too, but what eves)

besides you would barley be able to hear others unless you had filters, and it would be alot of protocol noise anyway.

Edited by ON-jOlt