Need A Open-source Friendly Netbook

dr0p

Ok, I'm looking for a cheap netbook that's open-source friendly preferably one that comes with a wifi chipset that plays nice with modern BSD distributions (I'm looking at FreeBSD or OpenBSD). I don't need excessive storage, a lot of ram, or anything like that. Oh, and long battery life would be nice too. Anyone here have any suggestions?

Edit: I'm also open to a cheap USB wifi adapter as well if needed to go along with the cheap netbook.

Edited by dr0p

The HP 2710p runs Backtrack 5 R1 x64 very well. Not sure if this helps but worth a try. :D

You can find it on ebay for around $200.

Has a 64bit CPU and 4gb max ram.

And the built in wifi card is intel. (works in monitor mode and packet injection)

And you can find a 2nd battery for around $40 and get around 6 to 8 hours of battery life.

Edited by brianzimm

Thinkpads are exactly what you're looking for. The pre T*00 models could also be had with a built in Atheros chipset. You can hop on ebay and find an old T42 really cheap. Thinkpads always have great compatibility and are build rock solid. As for battery life I get a good 8 hours out of my T400 with a 9 cell using wifi, with screen brightness up, and norming web/youtube surfing.

The HP 2710p runs Backtrack 5 R1 x64 very well. Not sure if this helps but worth a try. :D

You can find it on ebay for around $200.

Has a 64bit CPU and 4gb max ram.

And the built in wifi card is intel. (works in monitor mode and packet injection)

And you can find a 2nd battery for around $40 and get around 6 to 8 hours of battery life.

He wants a netbook.

Edited by Mr. Stuky

Thanks for the suggestions about the laptops, but I really am looking at netbooks for their battery life. The more I research though, it seems almost all netbooks ship with shitty broadcom chips now so the question is: what's a good usb wifi adapter that works with BSD?

• 2 weeks later...

Thinkpads are exactly what you're looking for. The pre T*00 models could also be had with a built in Atheros chipset. You can hop on ebay and find an old T42 really cheap. Thinkpads always have great compatibility and are build rock solid. As for battery life I get a good 8 hours out of my T400 with a 9 cell using wifi, with screen brightness up, and norming web/youtube surfing.

Both the pre and post T*00 models are available with Intel wifi which is just as good and in some cases better than the Atheros chipset.

Also, a 14" T-series or any of the X-series ThinkPads can achieve equal or better battery life to a netbook. With the optional second battery some ThinkPads can achieve over 16 hours of unplugged time.