FTP server for linux

debianuser

I've used ProFTPd in the past and was happen with it. But I mainly choose that because it was supported by another piece of software that I wanted to use.

I've heard good thinkgs about vsFTP, i'll have to have a look at it sometime as well. But at the moment i'm in the process of selling out.

What type of distro where you all running the FTP servers on? The desktop version or the Server version. Could I run a server off the unbuntu desktop version or will I be better off using the server version?

Bvlaar

well what do you mean by server version?

an OS acts as a server if it provides services - file sharing etc.. and is mainly dedicated to that..

if you use the same OS and install openoffice and all the other stuff.. then it acts as a PC..

you can run a ftpserver on your ubuntu, as well as yo ucan do the same on a windows machine

What type of distro where you all running the FTP servers on? The desktop version or the Server version. Could I run a server off the unbuntu desktop version or will I be better off using the server version?

Bvlaar

I'd give linux or freeBSD a spin. I've found that FreeBSD makes more sense for me (never really used *nix before that). But windows will do it fine, just need a spare computer, don't even need a spare monitor, keyboard or mouse. I ran a XP box for 2 months solid as a server, no problems.

Alrite well Im attempting to installing unbuntu rite now (not going so good) But when I get it up and running, I wanna learn all the things on *nix that windows does, IRC browsers, media players and mabey someday just use the linux machine :)

debianuser, Well when I was looking for a distro I noticed a "desktop" version and a "server" edition. I was just wondering if It would be possible to run services on the desktop version, and you answered that so thanks :)

Bvlaar

• 1 month later...