Database

deepdive

I have a scuba diving Program that is really designed badly. It will let me export a singel dive at a time. What I wouls like to do is rewrite the program for the way I would like to use it. How can I find out how to open up the database in a usable program like SQL server.

i think you are confused. The database is inside the sql server, you arite something to talk to the sql server. The language you use to do this all depends on what languages you know, perl and php would probly be the easyest languages to do this in.

Let's start with the basics:

- What is this program? Custom built stuff? Any chance of getting the old code?

- What is it using for storage? Flat files, a poorly designed DB (*cough*Access*cough*) or maybe something else?

- What are you comfortable with developing in?

The software can be downloaded from here: http://www.oceanicworldwide.com/services_software.html

it is called OceanLog for ATOM Version 1.0.4. I have tried to open it up in Access with no luck, maybe I am doing something wrong. the file extention for the actual db is DLG which i believe stands for DiveLog. I am confortable procramming in C, C++, and .net. Although I would like to program it in .net to make it web compatiable. I have tried to contact Oceanic for some help but no responce. Thanks in advance for your help.

Im still a bit lost here. What you need to do is sit down and lay your problem out properly.

Is the file your downloading data that is accessd via a program provided by Oceanic worldwide?

If it is then all u have to do it is open it and check out the file structure.

Flat files can also be accessed via odbc (wierd huh?) Sage (accounting software) does this. So if that is so, run a query against it...er... mm

From what I've read I get the impression that it takes information from a dive computer and saves it in a proprietary file format via an application that he doesn't like. Unless the file format is something that's easy to decode, like xml or something similar, you probaly won't be able to get anything out of it. And getting the data directly from the device and bypassing the program completely probably isn't easy either. So unless it got some kind of exporting feature or you like decoding binary file formats or proprietary data connections you're probably out of luck