Symantec sues Microsoft to stop Windows Vista

Symantec has asked a U.S. court to order a halt to the development of Windows Vista, claiming that its rival is wrongfully incorporating Veritas storage technology into its next-generation OS.

Symantec sued Microsoft on Thursday, seeking unspecified damages and also asking the court to remove Symantec's storage technology from a variety of Microsoft products, including Windows XP, Windows Server 2003 and the upcoming Vista and "Longhorn" Windows Server products. "We're asking them to remove the technology, because it belongs to us," a Symantec spokesman said Thursday.

The dispute centers around an August 1996 agreement between the two companies that granted Microsoft the right to use Veritas Software's volume management technology in its Windows NT product. Symantec purchased Veritas in a US$10.2 billion acquisition that closed last year.

Symantec claims that Microsoft misappropriated its technology and even tricked the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office into granting Microsoft patents based on Symantec intellectual property. The security and storage vendor also says that portions of Microsoft's next-generation Vista and "Longhorn" server OSes are based on this misappropriated software.

Read Full Story at PC World

i bet it will go through the courts for a few years norton wont be able to keep up with the court cost's and will end up with a setalment like you said. Its kind of sad really this just proves that it doesnt matter if you are in the wrong, as long as you have more cash then the other guy you will end up winning.

This is precisely the way George Carlin describes the current generation:

GIMME THAT, IT'S MINE!

I'm really torn as to who I should be rooting for. I don't like Microsoft, but Symantec *SUCKS* in pretty much every way imaginable.

This is precisely the way George Carlin describes the current generation:

GIMME THAT, IT'S MINE!

I'm really torn as to who I should be rooting for. I don't like Microsoft, but Symantec *SUCKS* in pretty much every way imaginable.

Even if Symantec 'suck' as you say, fortunately the law is supposed to protect everyone indiscriminately. Supposed to anyhow...

It'll end in a setalment.

You've just got to look at the recent Apple vs. Creative case on the patented interface. Creative could have legally requested that all iPods that use the technology and stopped production and no longer sold.

But they went with money and a let in clause in the iPods.

• 1 month later...

Problem: Symantec yell about how they loose loads of business if MS patch up their OS to make it secure.

Solution: Shut down or downsize Symantec.

Seriously, if they're saying MS should be made to sell a flawed OS for their benefit they should be laughed out of court.

That's like saying Ford needs to sell cars with crap parts so garages get more trade. Ludicrous.

Edit: I've noticed this post is actually kinda off topic... and possibly inaccurate. But I'm gonna leave it here 'cos it does apply to the MS Vs AV companies thing :)