Solaris, the next os?

SloPOS

the new Java based os, solaris?

Wow. Did you actually mean that?

Solaris as an OS has been around LONG before Sun dreamed up Java. What they did do recently was create Sun Java Desktop System, which is basically OpenOffice, Mozilla, Evolution, Gaim and a few more nick-nacks. I'm sure there's a Java angle in all of these programs, though I can't say I've seen it before in Evolution or Gaim. Maybe they added something, maybe they felt they needed to complete the office desktop thing and just threw non-java stuff in there aswell.

Another possibility is that you're referring to OpenSolaris, which is Sun's attempt at harnessing open source goodness.

I have to admit I've tried neither of these. The only times I've seen it run it was a less complete Sun desktop thing running on a SunRay thin client which in turn was running off some huge Sun machine they bricked in someplace and that, performance-wise, sucked to high heaven. It was so slow, it was unbearable. I'm sure they've improved it, but I don't see why I need to run Solaris to have those apps. Solaris is an EXCELLENT server OS, particularly when you need more than a basic office server. For a desktop machine, stick with *BSD, Linux or OSX. If anything, they'll be more geared towards this use.

thanx...to tell you the truth, i didn't do much research b4 downloading...i seem to be a 'happy downloader lately' lol....i've gone through a little java writing, and hated it with the fiery passion of a thousand burning suns...but i didn't know if this would be ne thing to look at, and didn't realize how long tis been around...but thanks. I'll try it on duel boot, and tell you if it works...lol...let's see how many os's i can fit in 60gb? vista, xp, solais, bsd...hmm...ne more wait...i need to get osx...lol...thanx guys

Be sure to include FreeDOS which went 1.0 today.

And I actually code Java for a living. It can be pretty decent, but I still cringe when we're forced to use it for GUI stuff (congrats to those who made Eclipse, but it's WAAAAAAAAY too heavy for my taste).

And I actually code Java for a living. It can be pretty decent, but I still cringe when we're forced to use it for GUI stuff (congrats to those who made Eclipse, but it's WAAAAAAAAY too heavy for my taste).

I code in Java on a daily bases, its once of those languages that you seem to hate when you first start to learn it, but once you know it you seem to love it.

I have (and still use) solaris 10 on an old sparc ultra 5 workstation. the workstation is an antique and isn't breaking any land speed records so I cannot say much about the os's speed. That said, I am impressed with the structure of Solaris and have had no failures/crashes/locked processes with it. I am thinking of trying it on a faster machine soon to see how fast it is with all of the bundled software. Installing new programs is as easy as any linux system. If you are familiar with Linux you will be comfortable with it very quickly. It isn't my favorite OS but for the basics (web developement, internet surfing, and email) it works just fine. I would use it for a firewall or any other specialized use like that but it is a very well rounded OS. I hope this helps.