Recovery Of A Pineapple

Hello all!

A friend picked up a pineapple well over a year ago. He had it working and goofed around with it until his laptop drive crapped out and he lost his scripts he used to work with it. He tinkered with it for a while with his new laptop and lost interest. It has been sitting in his closet for ~10 months or so until he decided to throw it out. I snagged it.

I believe I have the original parts. The white box with the Jasager pineapple sticker ( Model: MR3201A-38NQ ), a power cable, a 4-AA battery connector, and a piece of paper with some basic instructions which appear to no longer apply...

When I plug in power, I can see a new wireless network show up called "Pineapples" as well as a few others like "Default" but trying to connect to them times out.

The instructions say the IP should be 192.168.1.1 and he said he used echoblacks guide originally [1] which uses an IP of 10.110.0.2. However, when I set my IP manually (10.110.0.1 or 192.168.1.10 and netmask 255.255.255.0) and connect over LAN I can't see anything at either IP. I tried a normal cat5 cable as well as a crossover cable (not sure which I should use so I tried both).

[1] http://forums.hak5.org/index.php?showtopic=15200

Last night I left the cat5 cable plugged in with an IP of 10.0.0.1 netmask 255.0.0.0 and ran nmap ping sweep for port 22 across 10.0.0.0/8 but it found nothing.

I must admit I am a complete newb when it comes to the pineapple. I am working on my second day hacking on this thing and I am at a loss as to what to try next. It appears to still be working, but I can't figure out how to get into it and he doesn't remember because he scripted everything.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanx.

Ed

Hello all!

A friend picked up a pineapple well over a year ago. He had it working and goofed around with it until his laptop drive crapped out and he lost his scripts he used to work with it. He tinkered with it for a while with his new laptop and lost interest. It has been sitting in his closet for ~10 months or so until he decided to throw it out. I snagged it.

I believe I have the original parts. The white box with the Jasager pineapple sticker ( Model: MR3201A-38NQ ), a power cable, a 4-AA battery connector, and a piece of paper with some basic instructions which appear to no longer apply...

When I plug in power, I can see a new wireless network show up called "Pineapples" as well as a few others like "Default" but trying to connect to them times out.

The instructions say the IP should be 192.168.1.1 and he said he used echoblacks guide originally [1] which uses an IP of 10.110.0.2. However, when I set my IP manually (10.110.0.1 or 192.168.1.10 and netmask 255.255.255.0) and connect over LAN I can't see anything at either IP. I tried a normal cat5 cable as well as a crossover cable (not sure which I should use so I tried both).

[1] http://forums.hak5.org/index.php?showtopic=15200

Last night I left the cat5 cable plugged in with an IP of 10.0.0.1 netmask 255.0.0.0 and ran nmap ping sweep for port 22 across 10.0.0.0/8 but it found nothing.

I must admit I am a complete newb when it comes to the pineapple. I am working on my second day hacking on this thing and I am at a loss as to what to try next. It appears to still be working, but I can't figure out how to get into it and he doesn't remember because he scripted everything.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanx.

Ed

try connecting it with a crossover cable, and use wireshark on that interface, if it has an ip in another range that the one you expect you can see the rigth ip in the data it sends..

I would suggest you re-flash the firmware on the device. Depending on what you want, there are different tutorials around here.

That way you have a clean install and an updated firmware. (Most likely).

Regards,

Sebkinne

his description of the topic is "Trying to recover a pineapple settings", and a re-flash will destroy all settings, so didnt think that was an option :D

Hm, I misread the description. Still, what settings would there be that can't be re-done?

i would think none... but thats not for me to decide.. i just flashed my old mk1 (FON2100) with your firmware from here:

http://forums.hak5.org/index.php?showtopic=23575&pid=189896&st=0entry189896

and if we can solve the wifi not starting up automaticly, this might also be the rigth way to go for him to get an updated firmware ;)

Wifi starts automatically now. Or at least it should ;)

Can you confirm that?

it starts up, i get an openwrt SSID, but cant connect to it, have tried a couple of clients :)

EDIT: i just realized that i should see the "pineapple3c" SSID, and not the openwrt right?

but i only see the openwrt with a clean install

Edited by httpCRASH

Hello All.

I greatly apologize for the long delay. This week was rather absurd.

I did manage to get into the device. I connected to the device over wireless and ran nmap. Found a SSH port on the device. Thankfully the default pineapple password for root worked and I was able to log in. The IP on the eth0 was hard set to 10.1.1.1 for some odd reason.

I have not had time to do much with the device yet outside of the SSH scan/login. If all goes well I will have some time this week. I am catching up on my Hak5 episodes and I just saw the episode with the teaser for the new Pineapple V3. Maybe I will take the challenge on updating the firmware to the latest.

I do appreciate the help and suggestions. I will most likely be back asking questions when I have problems.

:-D

Thanks again everyone.