Alpha Ap51 Redboot Access

I hope I'm missing something in getting redboot access enabled on the Alpha AP51. I think that's what's killing the AP51 upload. I've also tried the Fonflash. I've tried getting redboot access via redboot scripts as well with no luck. Is there a .bin file that I can upload to the AP51 to allow redboot access? I've searched on multiple forums (especially here) including Alpha's support docs trying to find a way in. Am I left with a serial connection as the only other option now? I can get redboot prompts all day long on the Fon routers from the redboot scripts so I know I'm communicating on the network interfaces properly.

I'm running XP SP3 on the box I'm using to connect with a dedicated 10/100 NIC set as 192.168.0.100 with alternate IP of 192.168.1.100 for talking to the default AP web interface. Attached is the image of the Fonflash program that just sits there after it finds the AP51post-16801-0-43027000-1322239250_thumb.j. The same thing happens with Freifunk AP51 EasyFlash. It appears that the AP just continues on with it's boot process after the connection leading me to believe that it's not opening the redboot either.

The AP51 is straight out of the box with the r1600 firmware applied (came that way). I'm using the flash files that came with the build-pineapple download.

Any suggestions of possible images that I can successfully load through the web interface to downgrade it and allow redboot telnet access would be most appreciated. I'm hoping the loader will allow non-standard images.

Thanks in advance!

Drew

Appended -

I've managed to finally get the AP51 to connect and upload - I had to run Wireshark to see where the device was thinking it actually lived. It was on a completely different subnet. I've since gotten the access and files updated. I also had been using the correct files but I had dumped them into my build-pineapple directory.

I've noted below the install order I used to avoid dependency problems when uploading the files needed for the pineapple to be happy.

install order to avoid dependancy issues of packages from Backfire package download locations Obviously you want to go into the Atheros folders and you'll have to backtrack a few RCs to find everything that you need in particular the PHP.

libelf

at

zlib

gpioctl

libopenssl

libnet0

libnet1

libltdl

libgdm

libnids

dsniff

coreutils-nohup

coreutils

libncurses

libpcre

li

librt

libpthread

libpcap

libcurl

nano

php4

php4-cgi

ngrep

aircrack

Also having followed the directions that Darren gave for the cron jobs and misc. config updates it seems finally happy and that can be found here

Edited by Drewdroid

I've managed to finally get the AP51 to connect and upload - I had to run Wireshark to see where the device was thinking it actually lived. It was on a completely different subnet. I've since gotten the access and files updated. I also had been using the correct files but I had dumped them into my build-pineapple directory.

i know its the atheros files, but wich files exactly did you use for kernal & rootfs?

i thought i was using the rigth ones, and semi-bricked mine :D

so have to wait for my console cable to arrive, but would be nice to have everything sorted out in the meantime :)

EDIT: okay, you just gave me a good idea there, just started wireshark, and is also getting allot of data from the AP51...

and stupid me had not seen that it was actually flashed ok, because it was not on the ip i expected, and not starting wireless by itself... :lol:

Edited by httpCRASH