My Review of Windows Vista so far

Sparda

Updated:

Things that I like about Vista

New to task manager: Got to service. With the old windows 2000 and XP task manager, you could see what processes are running, but couldn't tell if it was a service just with tas kmamanger. Now with Vista you can, and you can stop and start services with task manager, this is good becasue you no longer have to open services.msc to stop and start service. You can also right click a process and selecte "Go to Service" and if the process is a server, the service will be highlighted in the services tab.

Things I don't like

The pointless out bound firewall. When using a software firewall that offers out bount control, you expect to be alerted every time a new program tries to access the Internet and then get to decide weather or not it can access the local network or the Internet. What the built in out bound firewall on Vista actualy dose when a programe tries to access the Internet is nothing... It just lets the connection go stright through and only if you go through about 5 menus to speificly block a programs connection to the Internet dose it actualy do any thing. If I where to use Vista as my primary desktop, I would get Kerio or (heaven forbid) Zonealarm as soon as they support it. The out bound firewall on vista is quite pointless and a big inconveniance to use.

Other Points of Interest

You can make it look like Windows 95 if you so wish.

Currently no VNC software (appart from Microsofts RDP) works with it yet.

Currently free antivirus solutions are buggy (and in some cases don't work at all).

It now has an outbound firewall, I can't give an opinion on this yet as I havn't tested it. At a glance I would say it's too complicated for any one who isn't a IT profesional to use, the interface made me want to close it becasue of all the buttons and menus it has :/ (I now have an opinion, see my comments in the "Dislikes" section)

You can't run Vista in VWmare (it constantly restarts the virtual macheine).

I have alredy added these things to the first fist, if any one has been watching...

I rather liked Vista aside from the firewall. I liked the start menu because of the active searchingas I type. I would complain about the UAC but I just turned it off lol, it didn't ask me to confirm anything afterwards. On top of this Aero may be a resource whore, but I'm running windows blinds anyways cuz I'm a sucker for a pretty desktop.

My only real problems are that the Nvidia drivers for it are buggy, the firewall sucked, and the new boot menu is setup different from all previous window's boot. So none of the commands work and finding the advanced boot options was a total pain.

Any upgrades of machines at my house will depend highly on the amount of work they have done by release time.

anyways just my mho

How about the price? The chepist been $100, the most expensive been $400, but the $100 version will probably have no featurs, most likly it will just be about five dlls and explorer.exe. Most people will probably need Home Premiue which is $240.

ok to all the people that still would concider getting vista ....

most of us like opensource software/drivers , including me

some even use it , (i personately deffonately use opensource drivers ..)

windows vista wil only allow you to run drivers (and possibly even software)

that are certifyed . and a certification costs xxxx$ u have to pay to yep u got it MS

and most open source drivers or software dont have , wont get or even cant afford a certificate

so u wont b able to run it on vista ....

Meh thats MS for ya :roll:

But my opionion for Vista is kept within the boundaries of MS products in general. The certification is BS but its not like its the first time a large computer company has done something like that.

In regards to the price how much was XP Pro on launch?

Despite a lot of FUD coming from "experts" and "beta testers" with bit torrent, i still think Vista is a big step compared to a default XP install. What a lot of people seem to forget is, as geeks, we've probally modded our XP installs so much that there closer to vista than XP in some regards. Most normal people haven't. How many people do you know who still run the fisherprice interface, default background, windows media player and use the software that came preloaded on there emachine? I'd doubt they would know you can change the entire look of the interface, use all those OS widgets to add features and modify system files to increase the number of total connections from 10 to 100 and re-enable raw sockets?

So if you were to install XP on one machine, and Vista on a second (with full Areo support), by default the Vista machine will look a world better.

As for linux this time round, not a chance in hell that its going to become a mainstream OS in the western world in the next 5 years. India and china, yeah its likely, but only due to there goverments demand for home grown software*. People say but compiz is better than Areo, its more sercure and its free. But when you look at it objectivly, its apparent that at the moment, desktop linux is still copying features from OSX and Windows. Until it gets full driver support and relegates the CLI to a backup for a full gui system, you can't rely on linux for non computer users. Imagine your average joe trying to setup wireless on his laptop, connect his printer, Ipod, phone & camera and install his windows only games and programs on a ubuntu box. Yeah, it can all be done, but it takes effort and skill. Dual booting is not an answer as invaribly you will need one OS more than the other.

People always say the support for linux is better. Its not, not if your a Average Joe anyway. There are wiki's, forums, IRC channels and even podcasts, all of which are very geeky things, and to most people, a computer isn't a pass time, its a device like a TV set. So googling for loads of forums, wikis and asking in is not something Average Joe wants to have to do on a friday night. With windows there is a very good set of help, press F1 in any MS application and you get help. If your really stuck, you can just call Microsoft and someone will take you threw it on the phone. So for your average Joe, windows is a lot easiyer to run, and get help with.

So while the delay between XP and vista was good for linux, when vista comes out linux will have a much harder time getting onto the desktop. Pre loading the OS onto home computers avalible in PC world/walmart is the only way it has a chance. And even then, only if you never plan upgrading the hardware on your PC. With windows Vista, I plugged my belkin wireless card in, and before I had found the driver CD, it was asking me for the WPA code for my AP. With suse and ubuntu on the same machine, i had to fuck around with ndiswrapper in the terminal for a bit, then work out where the tutorial from digg had gone wrong and fix it myself with some help from an IRC channel.

So my point to this ramberling diatribe? Vista will be a big sucess on the home computer front. To people who never pushed what XP could do, Vista is a big step up. When there buying a new computer down at Home Electronics World are they likely to demand for a old copy of XP, or be enticed by a whole new set of features in a prettyer box? Linux will need to have something really special to entice the mainstream towards it. And even then, OSX is really the only viable home desktop unix os that is currently on the market, and its always going to be better than linux.

Unless really, we admit that linux (and BSD) are geek OS's, and we quite like it that way. (I use XP, 2K3, Suse 10.1 & FreeBSD 6.1)

*But the far east and asia using Linux because they want to be free of ties to the USA might benifit the linux comunity. Since most of our computer hardware is made in china, and india has a large base of IT proffsionals, the increased usuage of linux will mean a higher demand for drivers and software for linux.

It is more secure in many respecs COMPARED to XP and 2000 (at least from what I can see). This dosn't mean it is secure. Some one might have discovered a non-user interactive remote zero day vunrability and is sitting, waiting for Vista to go 'main stream' befor unleashing it on the world, all the while checking constantly that it hasn't been fixed.