16dbi Yagi Antenna

Mr. Stuky

it's not just for the pineapple...

from the site..

"this 2.4GHz 16dBi Yagi antenna features an RP-SMA connector for use with the ALFA AWUS036H, WiFi Pineapple, Ubertooth One or other WiFi gear."

Yea I saw that, sorry I reworded my question(s).

Where can i buy the Tripod and Scope or of which manufacturer are this parts? It is a nice gadget, if the antenna is not in use. ;)

I just came in to post what I'd found! Cosmic! :)

I don't know exactly what Darren used, but I looked closely at the image at the shop and think I got the same tripod. I chose an adjustable scope because the adjustable was only a few bucks more than the single magnification.

I bought them both on Amazon:

Vanguard VS-82 Table Top Digital Camera Tripod - $27.??

Barska Rimfire Riflescope - The adjustable one (3-7x20) - $14.??

Maybe Darren will weigh in and tell us what he used? ;)

Either way, my Yagi shipped yesterday, and so did my Amazon stuff, so I'll stop back in and share how it all worked out (or didn't, but I think it will be perfect).

I got my Yagi but haven't used it yet since I'm holding out until I get a tripod. Also since there's no standard tripod mount on the antenna itself I don't want to waste any money ordering one online without knowing how it'll fit. Waiting for Darren to let us know the model he's using. Watching an older episode I noticed it had a different tripod and was held on with zip ties.

At the very bottom of the Hak5 product faq, you will see that it does not have a specific model. It just reads, "We use a cheap $15 camera tabletop tripod in the Yagi antenna photos." Has anyone had any success with the tripod they bought? Id like to get one for my antenna.

On the one I bought the included U bolts didn't have anywhere to attach well. I'm going to leave the.plate.attached and tap a hole that fits the tripod screw.

I had considered a method.of using rare earth magnets to attach it, but I don't know how that'd be with the antenna reception, so I'm going the tap route. Ill let ya.know how it works out.

The "mast" of the Yagi-Uda's antennas is at "ground"..electrically and physically....

so You can use any clamp to fix somewhere.

The tripod needs to be very stable,because hi-gain antennas have a very sharp radiation pattern.

Antennas do not "create" any power...they just direct the signal in front...mostly..and back...some.

16 db over isotropic antenna (think about a sphere) is not bad at all.

But You need to keep the cable very very short....You can waste a large amount using low quality ones!

Also old tv parabolic antennas may be used with success.

But remember...You will often need a laser to pont the antenna to establish a good link.

since the yagi's are out of stock in the hack5 store i found somewhere else to order from and got a cheap $4 camera tripod to go with it. i'll try it out on the alfa i already have when the antenna gets here.

i have the standard 9dbi antenna that came with the alfa i have been using. works pretty good.

If it does work, would you mind posting the name of the tripod and maybe a link? Id like to get some confirmation before I buy one. Are you sure its the same antenna?

yep sure looks like the same one. i found this site through google shopping search for "16dBi Yagi Antenna" before they started selling them at the hak5 store.

http://www.suntekstore.com/goods.php?id=10010009&utm_source=gbus&utm_campaign=gbus

tripod this one seems to be a generic tripod not tied to any type of camera

http://www.suntekstore.com/goods-10002025-Mini+Extendable+Tripod+59+to+83+inch+-+Silver.html

search with the term "tripod" there are more tripods like the one i got but they seem to be tied to camera brands.

http://www.suntekstore.com/search.php?encode=YTozOntzOjg6ImNhdGVnb3J5IjtzOjE6IjAiO3M6ODoia2V5d29yZHMiO3M6NjoidHJpcG9kIjtzOjE4OiJzZWFyY2hfZW5jb2RlX3RpbWUiO2k6MTMyMzE4MDMyMjt9

i'll probably go the drill and tap route to mount the tripod to the bracket on the antenna.

EDIT

this is the alfa setup i bought last year

http://www.amazon.com/Alfa-802-11b-Wireless-Original-9dBi/dp/B001O9X9EU/ref=sr_1_7?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1323180817&sr=1-7

Edited by geldartb

Waiting on my tap kit to arrive tomorrow, but I've got the hole drilled and ready to go.

I tried something else which some of you may want to try. It failed, but I'll tell you why.

I looked for a nut which fit the screw on the tripod.

On my tripod, there is the screw, and there is also a little spring-activated post which presumably "snaps" into a corresponding hole on a camera, aligning it seems to be the purpose.

So, I noted the depth to which the tripod screw went into the nut.

I drilled a small hole (to accommodate over-screw) and then epoxied this nut directly over the hole.

I marked the distance to the "spring-post-thingy" and epoxied another nut onto the antenna just in front of the first one, so when screwing in the tripod, the holes would like up.

I then epoxied 2 more of the same nuts on either side of it, forming a diamond shape, the rear-most nut being the one the tripod screws into. The 2 I epoxied onto the side were to give it stability when screwing it down onto the tripod.

This would have worked REALLY well, but I failed to rough the surface of the plate on the antenna first. When the epoxy dried, the surface of that plate is so smooth that the epoxy just "snapped" off.

I already have a tap/die kit on the way, so I'm just going to tap that hole and use that.

However, if you were to rough the surface of the plate before applying the epoxy, I could tell it would work excellent. It was stable and sturdy as heck, and most of all, really cheap to achieve.

Anyhow, thought I'd throw that out there for those it may help. I'll let you know how the hole tap method goes tomorrow night.

i planned on drilling and tapping the metal plate in the middle and mounting the tripod to that.

most of the tripods have a little quick release clip that pops off and then you screw that to the camera and mount the whole thing to the tripod. the one i bought looks like it's all one piece but even with that i have a bigger tripod i bought for my camera a few years back.

K know.what you're talking about. This one I got (link above) is just a screw and the alignment pin thing.

So, I too left the plate on to.afford more thickness/thread surface. I drilled and tapped the hole, and it works PERFECT! !

Going to drill a small hole for that spring loaded alignment pin,.and its.good to go! Rock solid and super stable!

Tap is definitely the way to go.

Was the tripod big enough? I just got my tripod and it looks a bit too small? I havn't gotten my antenna just yet. Could you post some pics on how you attached it? ^^ thanks!

No problem!

I put a link to the tripod that I purchased from Amazon above. Did a lot of searching, tried to get one that looked sturdy and similar to Darren's from what I could see on the show.

Here's the tripod, folded up, next to the hakshop-purchased Yagi:

IMAG0169.jpg

Here's a closer shot of the tripod connection plate. Note that the threaded screw is in the center, and in front of that is a spring-loaded peg. I intend to drill the appropriate hole for it soon, but for now it just compresses when I screw the antenna on:

IMAG0170.jpg

Here's a shot of where I drilled the hole in the mounting plate attached to the Yagi, and then used a tap to thread the hole. I left it on to provide more thickness (for more thread surface), as well as stability:

IMAG0171.jpg

Here's the Yagi attached to the tripod. Rock Solid!

IMAG0173.jpg

And lastly, here's a shot of the same, only showing the full extension of the tripod, both on the legs and the center post:

IMAG0175.jpg

I hope this helps you and anyone else wanting to mount the Yagi on a tripod!

Next project is to mount the scope and/or laser pointer. I'll be sure to share what method I manage to come up with!

Good luck!

Edited by hfam

No problem!

I put a link to the tripod that I purchased from Amazon above. Did a lot of searching, tried to get one that looked sturdy and similar to Darren's from what I could see on the show.

IMAG0169.jpg

Here's a closer shot of the tripod connection plate. Note that the threaded screw is in the center, and in front of that is a spring-loaded peg. I intend to drill the appropriate hole for it soon, but for now it just compresses when I screw the antenna on:

IMAG0170.jpg

Here's a shot of where I drilled the hole in the mounting plate attached to the Yagi, and then used a tap to thread the hole. I left it on to provide more thickness (for more thread surface), as well as stability:

IMAG0171.jpg

IMAG0173.jpg

And lastly, here's a shot of the same, only showing the full extension of the tripod, both on the legs and the center post:

IMAG0175.jpg

Next project is to mount the scope and/or laser pointer. I'll be sure to share what method I manage to come up with!

Good luck!

Awesome setup! What's the tripod model? Could you provide a link? Thanks!

Awesome setup! What's the tripod model? Could you provide a link? Thanks!

No problem, glad I could help!

From my earlier post in this thread:

I bought them both on Amazon:

Vanguard VS-82 Table Top Digital Camera Tripod - $27.??

Barska Rimfire Riflescope - The adjustable one (3-7x20) - $14.??

You may be able to find something cheaper, but I can attest.to how well this one.works, and its unmolested, so you can use it for camera work too if you wanted to.

Good luck!

Last Segment of the show, Darren answered what kind of tripod/scope it was...

Vanguard VS Table Top Digital Camera Tripod

Barska 4 By 15... Made in China

SWEET, I nailed it on both counts!!! That is awesome!! Exact hit on the tripod, and exact hit on scope, only I went with 3x7 instead of fixed 4

• 4 months later...

I've been poking around online looking for the best way to set up the yagi and was able to find setup instructions for a cellular yagi. they mention positioning the cellular yagi on its side (so that the directors point up and down instead of left to right) and to have 3 feet of unobstructed clearance above/below.. does the same apply to the wifi yagi or can i just keep it horizontal?

the mini yagi from the shop is mounted vertically, for example. i've read stuff about polarity for other antennas, not sure if that applies to this.

thanks!

• 1 month later...

No problem!

IMAG0169.jpg

IMAG0170.jpg

IMAG0171.jpg

IMAG0173.jpg

IMAG0175.jpg

Good luck!

May I ask what size drill bit you used and the tap? thanks

• 3 months later...

This is a great antenna the only downfall will be that it reduces the amount of netwroks when the temperature gets below 50F and I thought it was my drivers and the alfa adapter but after disconnecting the yaggi antenna and connecting the supply antenna with the alfa it started seeing a lot more wifi connections. I will keep posted once the temperature goes up I will connect it again and I will post the results.

Edited by johnny

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...