Apple's DRM cracked again !!(free ure i tunes music from it)

DLSS

source = http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20060830-7619.html

Apple's DRM cracked again

f DRM is a huge thorn in your side, you'll be happy to hear that an intrepid programmer has cooked up a tool for removing Apple's FairPlay DRM from iTunes downloads. But you'll need patience and at least a passing familiarity with running Python code, until somebody comes up with a more userfriendly interface.

QTFairUse6 looks at AAC frames in memory after they've been decrypted, but before the decoding step, and dumps the data into a file. It currently only runs under Windows, and relies on iTunes for the actual decryption work as well as FAAD for making the dumped data into playable AAC files. Unlike earlier tools like Hymn/JHymn and the original QTFairUse, this program can handle streams from iTunes 6.0.4 and later.

Apple keeps fiddling with FairPlay to counteract the efforts of would-be DRM strippers like Hymn, but since you don't have to upgrade iTunes if you have an older, Hymn-compatible version installed, QTFairUse6 isn't the only way to remove FairPlay protection. The Hymn project's programmers are working on a version that can handle iTunes version 6, but that effort is unlikely to benefit from the success of QTFairUse6. Hymn has traditionally handled decryption internally, rather than letting iTunes do the heavy lifting.

Upcoming versions of Apple's software may, and probably will, thwart efforts like these once again, pending the next decryption success, then the next DRM modification, and so on until the end of time or until Apple drops DRM protection, whichever comes first. The FairUse4WM DRM ripper for Windows Media files is facing much the same prospect of eternal escalations on both sides of the issue.

Copy protection schemes have been around since time immemorial and aren't likely to go away anytime soon, despite repeated cracking breakthroughs and the occasional PR disaster related to broken protection schemes. For more on cracked DRM, head on over to my esteemed colleague Nate's extensive writeup on the subject.

Ya, its great cause it does a good job of organizing my music for me and is a clean and usually bug free interface.

Seriously? The organization may be good and it's probably great overall on a mac, but on windows it is a horribly slow, bloated and cludgy interface. I just think that you shouldn't need a multi gigahertz processor and gigs of memory to just play music without the interface lagging. Foobar2000 FTW!

I'm better then you all becasue I don't have an iPod and don't use iTunes :D

i don't have an ipod either. but that's just cos i can't afford one. (i'm trying to save up for a laptop)

ipods are cool, they're a fashion icon. I've seen some of the other offerings and i think that as far as functionality goes that their rivals have for the most part either caught up or surpassed them.

Apple will own the music player market, certainly for the near future at least. Nothing else is as cool as an ipod. Also, their music, DRMed to hell like it is, is only playable on 1 ipod. Nobody is going to pay $1 per song to get their whole collection back. (they might use this tool however :lol:)