Bang for your buck on Lappys

Jester

So I am in the market for a new laptop. My current one is nothign special. I am looking to play games and what not and looking for the best rig for the money. I have looked at the new ibooks which are quite expensive but something I havn't messed with really. What does everyone else think is the best laptop retailer? 8)

Yeah I was gonna say Dell... the laptops I've had have mostly been older though, my Toshiba was nice and I've had a few Compaq laptops (err... yeah, this was a while back...)

I've heard Toshibas aren't that great these days though...

Work supplies us with laptops. I would've preferred desktops since they give more performance for less money, particularly in the longer term, and we work mostly from the same place anyways. But having a lappy has its uses.

So, up until now I've only had Toshiba's. First one was a 320CDT. I think it had like a P100 or something silly like that. It was a BRICK. Square, gray and heavy. They got replaced by Toshiba Satellite (Pro?) 4030s. Those were pretty sweet. Celeron CPU, more ram, nice display and pretty sleek design. But then, disaster struck. We switched to Toshiba Tecra S1's. Man-o-man did those babies suck ass. I mean, yeah, they had the big screen, 40 gig harddisk (was 20 up until then) and a gig of ram, but the backlight on my first one died after a month, the cooling broke down on the second one and I didn't notice until it was too late. My current one just had the CD drive die, and the performance of the harddisk somehow has degraded to something resembling that old 320CDT. I'm using smartd to keep an eye on that thing. Not trusting it at all at the moment.

The plan right now is that this one will soon get replaced by a Dell... Yeah, my sentiments exactly. I'm really going to need some stickers soon. Supposedly this is going to become an 820 (all I remembered) with 2 gigs of ram and a 1.83(?)GHz Pentium M. Fingers crossed.

Yeah, mine is a Dell Inspiron refurb. I think my parents bought it using our business account with them, so that gets them a few more cents off. It was pretty cheap, and I love it, never given me a problem w/ overheating, backlight, anything like that, very dependable.

If you were going for games, perhaps instead of a inspiron get a percision. My dad has a M60, and its wonderful.

I'm a fan of the HP laptops. I've had my zv6006 for over a year now and it's still running beautifully.

When purchased, the price tag was 800 bucks. AMD 64 3200+, 512mb ram, 100 gb hdd, 15.4" widescreen with built-in wireless. It was one of those "back-to-school" deals. Now you can get the tourons for about the same price, those are quite well-built.

In all honestity I'd stay away from Dell only because I've seen so many go back to the retailer because of hardware problems (faulty mobos, bad batteries, dead ram, burnt chips). I wouldn't take the chance with them.

I just bought my wife a new laptop for basic gaming and school work. It is a compaq v3000z it isn't breaking any fps limits but it is playing Oblivion nicely as well as all the rest of her games. Whatever you get try to find the best Nvidia geforce go card or ATI. My wife had a 17 inch toshiba with a 3.33 ghz p4 with an intergrated graphics chip, it wouldn't even handle the 3d of the character builder.

Well, I did hear about the one type of Alienware having an integrated graphics card, which gave me a giggle, but I guess even though you're paying for the name,if you've got money to burn then it's what I'd buy...minimum effort me, very very bad I know-should learn to mod! Haven't Dell bought out Alienware recently (hence them doing integrated graphics cards on the one Alienware)?

dont get a toshiba!

They used to be good but the three most recent ones ive had have just been worse and worse for around the same price (I go through quite a few laptops :p)

Have a HP too and thats pretty sweet!

I use a Dell Inspiron 1405. I Run Linux on mine so there is no gaming going on. For everyone to know now, if you plan on running Linux on any laptop you buy, Please stay away from Dell. There laptops are great but there on-board wifi cards are really hard to get working without knowing the proper drivers ahead of time.

Although if you plan on gaming on a windows laptop why not go with the XPS?

I have had some time to play with one a buddy owns and it's not bad. He actually replaced his crappy desktop with it. But then again he only plays two games, Counter Strike Source and World of Warcaft (btw WOW tolly pwns TICHONDRIUS FTW). Do yeah in my opinion Dell Laptops + Linux = Big headache, but Dell XPS laptop + Windows XP = Good time Gamming.

Yea. I have an hp notebook.

Hewlett Packard used to make some really, really horribly crappy PCs in my opinion.. ever see the 'pavilion' line? Nothing but shit rolling off the assembly line. I have a tantra against fixing ANY HP machines, because of that fact. (HP Pavilion Desktops used to be pure crap, don't know if they still are.)

And my original computer was a custom desktop, but I'm going to college now and decided to switch to a laptop.

My pick:

HP Pavilion dv2020us 'Entertainment PC'

AMD Turion 64 X2 1.6Ghz (Always upgradable.. right? xD)

1024MB DDR2 (533Mhz) Ram

80GB HDD (I have a 40GB usb backup drive..)

It's all really sweet, but has an Nvidia Geforce Go 6150.. which is a built-in graphics card. And it uses a broadcom wifi adapter, which isn't linux compatible. Other than that, it's 'awesome'.

My friend got an AMD Athlon 64 2.6Ghz laptop, and thinks it would beat mine.. maby in 'single-threaded' applications.. but give me some multi-threaded aps, and it'll rape his.

~~Azurith