Looking For New Notebook , Asus Model Vs Acer Timelinex

DustinW

Im looking for something relatively inexpensive 500-900. Good power and decent performance for running linux in a dual boot with windows 7.

Any suggestions?

I know Darren uses the timeline x but its hard not to get an asus when their related the most reliable.

Also if you have any info on the wireless cards let me know.

Im looking for something relatively inexpensive 500-900. Good power and decent performance for running linux in a dual boot with windows 7.

Any suggestions?

I know Darren uses the timeline x but its hard not to get an asus when their related the most reliable.

Also if you have any info on the wireless cards let me know.

Exactly what I'm looking for as well, looking forward to some of the suggestions.

The timelinex looks pretty like a good balance between price/power/features, but because I'm a relative n00b on the Linux side and I'm also planning to setup dual boot with W7/Linux I'm looking for something that that is well-supported on Linux so that I don't have to do battle with getting hardware up and running.

I have the same laptop as Darren, Timelinex 1830T i7 version.

For my day job I need windows but I play in Linux a lot and wouldn't be without a Linux box handy. I run VM workstation or VM player and with the power of the i7 and 4GB RAM I can run two vm instances at the same time.

Just my vote for the Acer.

• 11 months later...
  • 1 month later...

After Having this same debate here is the info i have come up with the system below the major plus are if you look you can find Crazy deals for sub 400 you can get 4 gb of ram in them and there dule 2.X cpu and a nice GPU so you can still use there GPU Core for Pushing heavy Tasks. i will be spliting my system in to 3 Drives 100gb storage and 50 gb win and 50gb Linux.

The Samsung X460 was crafted with industry-leading features to make you more productive. Weighing less than 4 pounds and only 1.25" thin, you can take it anywhere. You can hit the ground running because there are no compromises on performance. The performance enhanced lithium ion battery delivers up to 6 hours of nonstop run time. In a class all its own, for those with a style all their own, the Samsung X460 is a strategy that won't fail.

• Product Description Samsung X460 44G - 14.1" - Core 2 Duo P7350 - Vista Business - 3 GB RAM - 250 GB HDD
  • System Type Notebook
  • Operating System Vista Business
  • Processor Intel Core 2 Duo P7350 / 2 GHz / 3 MB Cache
  • Memory 3 GB DDR3
  • Storage 250 GB HDD / 5400 rpm
  • Optical Drive DVD-Writer DL
  • Display 14.1" LED backlight 1280 x 800 / WXGA
  • Graphics NVIDIA GeForce 9200M GS - 256 MB
  • Networking Bluetooth 2.0 EDR, 802.11 a/b/g/n (draft) , Gigabit Ethernet , fax / modem
  • Battery 6-cell - up to 6 hour(s)
  • Security Trusted Platform Module (TPM) Security Chip , fingerprint reader
  • Dimensions (WxDxH) 13.3 in x 9.7 in x 1.3 in
  • Weight 4 lbs