getting windows to detect

kainchick

Have you installed the USB drivers for windows? Without them windows won't talk to the USB system. If your not sure on what to get, post the motherboard specs and we'll have a stab at pointing you in the right direction.

Do you get the LED's coming on? What colors are they? Does windows give any indication that hardware has been plugged in? Does it attempt to look for drivers and give up? Is there any sign of life from the device when attached to a computer? Try plugging it in one of the USB ports at the back of the machine (the ones on the mobo itself), not the ones at the front. Might be power issues.

Have you tried installing the drivers (either from the CD or 2wires site) then inserting the card? If you plugged the card in, then installed the drivers, uninstall them, remove the device, restart the machine, reinstall the drivers and plug the device in.

If that fails, try it on another machine. If you get the same results on 2-3 machines you know to be working, its time to upgrade. BT (british telecom) used 2wire kit and it was always a case of it worked first time or your children would still be trying to make it work long after your ashes...

Because linux + wifi = a great time! Just download ndiswrapper, the driver, and type a myriad of commands into the consol.... not everything can be answered with linux, its not ready yet.

Devicescape released its "Advanced Datapath" 802.11 driver stack to the open source community in May, so that should improve WIFI support in upcoming Kernels. The current stable kernel has some improvements over previous kernels but it still needs some work.

Hehe, I would have installed linux onto their computers but, they are really computer illertirate. Their pretty much a family of gamers, who don't really know what their doing with their computers.(because of the amount of viruses/spyware was the reason i reformatted) but so yes The school district around here sold old p3's for 10 dollars US, but sent the computers out with Ubuntu on them. These people went up there and got one, and didn thave any idea what to do. So i was afraid to put anything other than windows xp on it.

Hehe, I would have installed linux onto their computers but, they are really computer illertirate. Their pretty much a family of gamers, who don't really know what their doing with their computers.(because of the amount of viruses/spyware was the reason i reformatted) but so yes The school district around here sold old p3's for 10 dollars US, but sent the computers out with Ubuntu on them. These people went up there and got one, and didn thave any idea what to do. So i was afraid to put anything other than windows xp on it.

What knid of gamers, "solitare, mine sweeper, and Flash Games" of "HL2 had Quake4"

if they are the first ones, Linux is perfect