wont go away!

anyedie

ok, so i was attempting to download some lockpicking manuals ( after seeing a few things on defcon i got intrested) and i found one in a text file and downloaded it to a folder... well its not a text file... or a manual... or anything i dont think. it wont open, it opens no processes with it (that i can see) i dont think it changed anything, i cant change the name, delete it, copy, paste (all of this by right clicking, o- btw- under windows x) it has no properties.. i really have no idea with to think abou this, im so confused. i just want to get rid of it. can anyone help? sry for the incoherency of this.. man it soooo annoying.

If you got the file from an iffy location, you can possibly consider your current xp install toast

any other information on it?

yea it was kinda iffy, i knew better, but i virus-scan it and it was only txt :cry:

it happend to my uncle with a AOL icon... never did anything to his compy, but annoynce

i would recomend using a live linux cd but ntfs is usally read only with them. so if you must delete it without reinstalling i would say a dos boot disk with ntfs for dos (i think thats what it is called, i haven't used it in ages) or maybe you could use the recovery console on your windows disk.

it it was just a text file it couldnt of done anything. Are you sure it was a text file and not just filename.txt.exe?

yea, im not a Super N00b, thats one of the 1st things to look for, thats why i thought it was safe... it says .txt, but it obvisouly has to be making somehow.

and it was limewired... yea, i know

i tried going in under a live CD, and encountered the read-only problem... i think i'll look under a Dos now... thankx guys!

sparda i fill your pain. There is no way its a text file if its fucking your comp up. Look at the file in MS-DOS or something and then let us know what the real extension is.