Setting Up A Network

film

Hi...i have a couple of computers and i want to set up a network between them , and i was wondering what is the best OS to run ( my other computers are running Windows Xp Pro). Also i dont want the network on the in-build one which Xp Has.

Whats wrong with the Windows XP networking?

You just need a router and some ethernet cable, plug it all in and you have a network.

I got all that :D but i dont know, i do have a copy of Windows Server 2003 that i might use ? hmmm well whats the differants between Windows Server 2003 and Windows XP pro ?

Win 2k3 is a server edition, you might try using it as a gateway but there are better solutions ie monowall/smoothwall (basically a old computer running bsd/linux as a gateway) or a regular linksys router for $50 or so. You can have anything with support for ethernet and tcp/ip as a client on your network. TBH i don't know what your question is about really.

Win 2k3 is a server edition, you might try using it as a gateway but there are better solutions ie monowall/smoothwall (basically a old computer running bsd/linux as a gateway) or a regular linksys router for $50 or so. You can have anything with support for ethernet and tcp/ip as a client on your network. TBH i don't know what your question is about really.

ok thanks ... Yes i was jsut wondering what i should use as a Server for my Netowork ( on the server i will be filesharing, FTP ( website ), Also remote access to another computero n the network ? )

Technicly, windows (all versions, it did get better with 2000) is a realy crap networking OS. Bench marks have showen that when windows file sharing on windows (even server 2003) is put under extream load the amount of data that is transfered levels out at a craptisctily low speed. Were as windows file sharing on other platforms (Linux, BSD even MAC OS using Samba) performs so much better it's stupid.

Very true, but tbh the ease of setup evens the floor a little. Plug in cable, turn on file and printer sharing on your machines, add trusted zone to firewalls, type in machines ip as "10.0.2.20" or whatever... bingo.

use the three computers as recusrive servers, come to think of it that would be pointless as the all rely on the same internet connetion and power. So, set one up as a web/filwserver, one as a m0n0wall firewall, and use the otheras a NAS type thing. Thats what I'd do.

win2k3 is basically the same thing as XP.

Main difference is extra security enchancements and server utilities.

However there are many tutorials on setting it up for use as a desktop os(including for playing games like cs ;)).

But it is important to remember that you don't need a server os to run a 'server'. All you need is the proper daemons for the services you'd like to offer.(FTP,HTTP,SMTP,POP3,ETC)